Su 27 issues

Hawx004

I have been learning the flanker in 1.5 and have a few questions about the systems maybe some of you can help me:

1. When in Recon/BVR mode(2) without turning on the radar you see contacts in the HDD(head down display)? I did tests in online and shows other planes when on, but disappear when off....the thing is in training missions you still see every contact turning it off.

2.Other planes detects your radar in the RWS when is turned off? and on?

3.For what is the number that appears in the centre down of the HUD when radar turning on? that number above ILL letters when radar is on, is supposed to be the expected range of the target, but in missions doesnt change anything and you still see the contacts.

3.Why when you lock someone on radar you are able to use the 27ET IR missile, shouldnt only let you use the 27ER? also when selecting it it changes the cone in the HDD in front of you that shows the minimun detect range(strange), so, when shooting the 27ET on a radar locked target he gets a warning right? and the missile searchs for heat or radar signal and is weak against chaff/flares?

4.How you put a wingman in the radar so is always shown like in the missions?

5.This question is for all aircraft, I have tested with a friend and if he is locking me through IR and I drop flares he doesnt loose lock so I guess flares just confuses the missile once in the air, for radar missiles when you drop chaff and RWS stops beeping it means the missile lost track on you, but it can find you again right? or you lost it forever?

Edited by Hawx004

1. The contacts you see in the training are data linked from AWACS.

2. Off means you don't emit a signal so the enemy won't see your radar.

3. This is expected target range measured in km, use it in conjunction with your elevation (number scale on right of hud measured in x1000 metres) to create the angle your radar looks at. Eg. Tgt rng of 10 with elevation of -1 (-1000m of your altitude) makes the centreline of the radar looks at a point 10km ahead and 1000m below you.

Target range is something you're best leaving alone whilst learning to use the radar as your radar will see the whole airspace just fine using just elevation. It is best used when you're more comfortable with scanning and understand the limitations of your radar.

The other 3. No, ir missiles cue off their own seeker locking with radar designates the target for the seeker that is all. Only radar missile launches give a launch warning while locking with a radar regardless of missile choice gives a lock warning.

4. You need AWACS

5. Yes

Edited by Frostie
  • Like 1

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

1. The contacts you see in the training are data linked from AWACS.

2. Off means you don't emit a signal so the enemy won't see your radar.

3. This is expected target range measured in km, use it in conjunction with your elevation (number scale on right of hud measured in x1000 metres) to create the angle your radar looks at. Eg. Tgt rng of 10 with elevation of -1 (-1000m of your altitude) makes the centreline of the radar looks at a point 10km ahead and 1000m below you.

Target range is something you're best leaving alone whilst learning to use the radar as your radar will see the whole airspace just fine using just elevation. It is best used when you're more comfortable with scanning and understand the limitations of your radar.

The other 3. No, ir missiles cue off their own seeker locking with radar designates the target for the seeker that is all. Only radar missile launches give a launch warning while locking with a radar regardless of missile choice gives a lock warning.

4. You need AWACS

5. Yes

Excellent, thank you! I readed some user manuals and got almost everything, so if I want to do a "stealth" atack should I enter SCAN mode(2) activating radar and quickly after target lock and IR missile release go back to "Back to search" mode so he doesnt get radar lock warning? Or should I use "Infra-Red Search and Track - IRST" mode that is only for IR missiles and doesnt warn the target when locked?

"Expected target range" makes the scan to search that point with more intensity or something like that? and because of doing it looses intensity in other zones?

When I get an angle-of-jam(AOJ) which means target is using some type of ECM if he 25Km or less from me it shows the distance right? if not I have to adjust the expected distance myself?

Last question, what are the differences between "SCAN" and "Track-While-Scan or TWS"?

I will not discuss tactics, sensor can be used in many ways, it's up to you to decide what's work for you.

When you turn radar on, aircraft in radar cone detect you emitting. When you radar lock a target, he has lock indication. When you fire R-27R/ER at someone, he has launch indication. If you lose radar lock, IRST will try to relock automatically.

When you search via IRST, there's no indication target is visible/locked.

There is pretty neat integration of sensors at Su-27, I suggest you to play around and test how it works.

"Expected target range" will help the radar system to calculate altitude range for given range. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I will not discuss tactics, sensor can be used in many ways, it's up to you to decide what's work for you.

When you turn radar on, aircraft in radar cone detect you emitting. When you radar lock a target, he has lock indication. When you fire R-27R/ER at someone, he has launch indication. If you lose radar lock, IRST will try to relock automatically.

When you search via IRST, there's no indication target is visible/locked.

There is pretty neat integration of sensors at Su-27, I suggest you to play around and test how it works.

"Expected target range" will help the radar system to calculate altitude range for given range. Nothing more, nothing less.

You mean if I lock someone and launch a radar missile(27ER) and then I turn and loose him the missile misses but if I reaim him and mantain him on the HUD the missile still searchs for him?

You mean if I lock someone and launch a radar missile(27ER) and then I turn and loose him the missile misses but if I reaim him and mantain him on the HUD the missile still searchs for him?

No, I mean that secondary sensor will try to lock if primary lose a target.

Right now it's possible to reacquire the target, and missile will continue to track the target.

You do not have to keep a target in the HUD, radar cone is 120 degrees wide horizontally.

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.