New To DCS World and Some Questions

Hello, I am new to this great looking sim and am wanting to get much more involved with it. I have some questions that I have not been able to find precise answers to and was hoping to get off on the right direction with this game.

Firstly, should I download the 1.5 beta or standard client?

I would like to start with 1.5 since I have read numerous good things about it, but I don't know if it will update to the next final version when that update comes out? I don't want to have to redo an entire main module when the new version hits.

I was thinking I should play the standalone version as opposed to steam because it states that the standalone has access to all modules. Is there some finer detail on this or does steam simply not have everything available?

Are the download versions for modules like demos or sample versions? Not sure I haven't tried yet.

Are there flight manuals specifically made for DCS world? It mentions it in the familiarization video.

What joystick would you suggest is best for DCS world?

Those are the questions I had in mind so far. Thanks in advance for any answers. I am glad I found this gem of a game.

Edited by Mil 24 Hind Mind

-The beta usually updates just as the regular release does, so it should be updated. You can have both installed, it's handy to do so.

-Standalone is more flexible as it can use standalone and Steam codes to activate modules, and from this point on I think it will receive updates earlier as well. I prefer not to use Steam.

-There are manuals for DCSW, you can download them from the downloads section of this site:

Or look in:

C:\<INSTALL PATH>\Eagle Dynamics\Doc

and

C:\<INSTALL PATH>\Eagle Dynamics\Mods\aircraft\<MODULE NAME>\Doc

-The following section of the forum has info on flight sticks, there are many choices:

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Are there flight manuals specifically made for DCS world? It mentions it in the familiarization video.

Your manuals are usually available in pdf format in your main DCS World folder.

For instance, the A-10C manual can be found in:

E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Doc

From E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft you can navigate to any module you want to find the appropriate manual.

There are also guides for newcomers available here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

I highly recommend you check them out if you're starting from scratch.

Do you already fly any flight sims? Use what you have as far as joystick, throttle, pedals and trackir. If you only have a cheaper joystick, it may be difficult to map the things you need even on the more simple modeled aircraft. Also, to get 1.5 you need the beta world install. There's no need to install both.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

If you're looking for a cheap joystick I'd throw in a recommendation for a T flight HOTAS X. You have to get a bit imaginative with your control assignments but I've got pretty much everything you need even for the A-10 (which is probably the most switch heavy aircraft) mapped on mine. Not as precise as many others but an absolute bargain.

Also, there's not demos of the modules themselves. You can have a look at the external models, and with DCS world you get two free aircraft (Su-25T and TF-51), meaning if you can download the game for free and check out performance, the mission editor etc. However there's no demo of the proper modules, but there are plenty of youtube videos available so you can get an idea of what it's like.

Edited by Jona33

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Do you already fly any flight sims? Use what you have as far as joystick, throttle, pedals and trackir. If you only have a cheaper joystick, it may be difficult to map the things you need even on the more simple modeled aircraft. Also, to get 1.5 you need the beta world install. There's no need to install both.

I've only dabbled with flight sims before, so this will be the first one I will really sink my teeth into. None of the other ones I've seen have been quite as encompassing as this one. The combined arms module looks like a winner. I am really good at self teaching....most of the time. Should be fun.

Anyhow, I think I will end up getting a Saitek X55 from what I have read. It is at an acceptable price and seems to be well supported in DCS... Is it?

Good stuff so far, thanks for the replies everyone.

Edited by Mil 24 Hind Mind

I've only dabbled with flight sims before, so this will be the first one I will really sink my teeth into. None of the other ones I've seen have been quite as encompassing as this one. The combined arms module looks like a winner. I am really good at self teaching....most of the time. Should be fun.

Anyhow, I think I will end up getting a Saitek X55 from what I have read. It is at an acceptable price and seems to be well supported in DCS... Is it?

X55 is definitely recommended, a lot of people round here own it and I've heard good things.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

X55 is definitely recommended, a lot of people round here own it and I've heard good things.

I don't recommend the X-55 at all. For some people the stick works fine, but for others... the quality control issues at Saitek are very apparent.

5 of my friends have the X-55: 3 of them have lots of issues with them, while the other 2 don't have any issue with it.

The Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X or the Saitek X52 are two joysticks I highly recommend if you're on a budget. Cheap and reliable.

the choice is yours to make ofcourse. But i would still reccomend the X55. DCS is a game where you can never have enough keys. The Stick has 18 compared to the 14 on the x52. The X55 has an extra 4 way on the stick, and two extra fourways for the thumb on the throttle. Those 4ways really come in handy when flying something like the A10C. The A10 Assigns different functions to 4way keys depending on how long you hold them. For the X52 you will not have enough keys on your hotas, and will have to resort back to keyboard commands.

Lastly the x55 throttle has 7 switches on the throttle. You can assign a function to the up and down position for each of them. so 14 functions. On the bottom left there's a big threeway. Those change the function of the other switches, allowing you to assign 42 functions to those switches alone. It's starting to feel like I'm throwing a sales pitch but if you don't wanna let go of your hotas to punch in keyboard commands I think the X55 is great.

Check my F-15C guide

High an welcome to the madness, can almost guarantee you won't touch another flite sim. Expecially with whats going to be up n coming(F-14 F-18, some more WW2 planes etc) I upgraded to the X52 pro an hav'nt looked back(definatly worth it).

@ Sryan

I was thinking the same thing about the X55 when I was comparing models. All of those switches do look nice plus it looks snazzy. But at the same time I have not seen any complaints about the X 52...hmmm decision decisions.

And Call911 I am currently becoming more and more impressed with this game just getting the training missions down using only a mouse and keyboard and that is still fun, though a little punishing. Can't wait to get into this more. I am lovin it.

I'd let you have a go on mine if you didn't happen to live across the pond :) I've had it for 8 months now. I hope your training missions are coming along nicely. Are you still flying the free SU-25T and TF-51? Or have you moved on to something like the russian Ka-50, considering your name means a certain preference for russian helicopters? :)

I don't think all your questions have been answered yet. The steam and standalone version are equal. they both have acces to the 1.2x and 1.5x build. Some features are available on the standalone before the steam version though. Par example the L39C Albatros can only be bought and used on the standalone version right now. This is the newest module and still in a beta phase, when the aircraft is finished it will be sold on steam as well.

The download versions of the modules in the shop are not demo's. I suppose they are for people who are running into trouble using the update tool of the game, or want acces to the latest beta build of a certain plane instead of the last stable release. The game will refuse to let you fly an aircraft you do not own a key for.

Each plane has its own manual. I think the A10C spans the crown with almost 900 pages. A final tip I have for you is for when browsing the store. You'll see planes marked as DCS ( EG "DCS: Black Shark 2" or "DCS:A10C ), and planes who do not have this ( EG: "F15C for dcs world" or "SU25 for dcs world" ). The planes that are marked as DCS: are the fully fledged sims, with like every knob and switch clickable and with a simulated function. This is like the TF-51 the free player has acces too. The planes without this tag, often referred to as the FC3, or Flaming Cliffs planes, are a lot easier to fly. They resemble the SU-25T the free player has acces too. There's a pack that has all the FC3 planes, including the MiG29 variants and the SU-33 wich are not sold seperatly.

I hope you'll have as much fun with the game as we do.

Edited by Sryan

Check my F-15C guide

I have an X55. I recommend you stay far away from it. It would actually be a decent HOTAS if it wasn't so expensive for what you get. But the big problem is the quality control. Mine does the ghost buttons thing and turns itself off mid game. I've tried everything to fix it but nothing worked. $250 is a big gamble for a joystick that doesn't work properly.

If I had to do it again I would have just saved up for a thrustmaster warthog.

Edited by Dappman

@ Sryan

I was thinking the same thing about the X55 when I was comparing models. All of those switches do look nice plus it looks snazzy. But at the same time I have not seen any complaints about the X 52...hmmm decision decisions.

And Call911 I am currently becoming more and more impressed with this game just getting the training missions down using only a mouse and keyboard and that is still fun, though a little punishing. Can't wait to get into this more. I am lovin it.

I would highly recommend the X55. Be mindful though that it needs a USB 3.0 port (or a powered USB hub) or you will get the ghosting issues.

• Like 1

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

Get 1.2 first so you can appreciate how good the new engine is in 1.5:)

Welcome to DCS and good luck getting started. Be prepared for your head to explode learning a module to a decent standard;) I used an X52 for many years till I could afford a TM warthog, try to get the best you can afford and if you can invest in Track IR and rudder pedals it is well worth it:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it looks snazzy.

I think we can all agree on the importance if the above statement when it comes to purchasing an item.

I am new to DCS as well (about three months now). You'll find a very supportive and immersive community. I was super intimidated by the amount of knowledge, hardware, time, and learning required to play this game. But that was the challenge I have always wanted from a flight sim.

Here are some tips to catch you up to speed on somethings I've learned:

1) Everyone is helpful and the community is glad you are here. I have yet to run across anyone who is elite'est and has no time for new guys.

2) On a scale of 1-10 I probably am about a 3 when it comes to knowledge about computer gaming. Any questions I have I search the forum here and find an answer. If not I post the question and within a day I have support and resolution from some great users.

3) With each additional component of hardware you buy the sim becomes more enjoyable. I would say that at the very least some type of flight stick is needed. A HOTAS system is great, but you need to weigh your return on investment. I use a F.L.Y. 5 Stick on a laptop, with an additional keyboard plugged in with no issues. My joystick is even missing a button on the top. The point is an expensive HOTAS with zillions of buttons is not required. But there are many courses of thinking and opinions on the forums here about what the best setup is.

4) For every frustrating thing that happens (game crash, lag, frame rate, re-installs, un-mapping, quickly approaching terrain) I still find myself on the edge of my seat with this game, heart beating, and loving everything about this sim.

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

So much good info so far thank you all.

I'd let you have a go on mine if you didn't happen to live across the pond :) I've had it for 8 months now. I hope your training missions are coming along nicely. Are you still flying the free SU-25T and TF-51? Or have you moved on to something like the russian Ka-50, considering your name means a certain preference for russian helicopters? :)

That is a generous offer. I am thinking of going for the X52 as it is slightly cheaper, sounds effective, and has many recommendations. I will probably slowly add to my sim gadget collection as I have some other expensive hobbies to tend to, dirt bikes are not cheap;)

The training is going good. For the time being successfully landing the SU-25 and navigating it is fun and rewarding. Not much compared to those who can dog fight and push these modules to the limits, but that gives me much to look forward to.

I am definitely going to get the Ka-50 module. Also, the SU-27, BF 109 K-4, and Mi-8MTV2 look like must haves for me as well. I think this will keep me busy for quite a while.

Don't forget Track IR. IMO this is a must have, along with the HOTAS...definite game changer as far as immersion goes. No more POV hat to slew around your views.

I have a TM Warthog, and glad I went with it. The best HOTAS on the market, bar none. Before my TM purchse, was using the X-45 that I bought like 15-years ago or more...and it still works just fine.

Good luck!

DrDetroit

Edited by DrDetroit

Don't forget Track IR. IMO this is a must have,
+1. This is really the only peripheral I have besides my 15 year old joystick and I get along fine using key combinations. For example, I use LCtrl + joystick hat to zoom the view in and out.

By all means start out with a cheap stick etc to see if DCS is for you...

Three years in, here is my setup:

http://imgur.com/43NUAp4

http://imgur.com/Ybi18Lr

http://imgur.com/1vBzUcW

http://imgur.com/ojGDwWu

P.s I just moved my pit to a new man cave a couple of days ago and the lure of 1.5 has proven greater than the lure of cable management behind the pit! :p

Edited by Low Blow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitch:

My Specs:

i7 8700K, 32gig Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz, 2080ti, Obutto R3volution, VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro EN, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Oculus Rift S

MMSOBGYTAST!

If you're looking for a cheap joystick I'd throw in a recommendation for a T flight HOTAS X. You have to get a bit imaginative with your control assignments but I've got pretty much everything you need even for the A-10 (which is probably the most switch heavy aircraft) mapped on mine. Not as precise as many others but an absolute bargain.

Also, there's not demos of the modules themselves. You can have a look at the external models, and with DCS world you get two free aircraft (Su-25T and TF-51), meaning if you can download the game for free and check out performance, the mission editor etc. However there's no demo of the proper modules, but there are plenty of youtube videos available so you can get an idea of what it's like.

The T-Flight is a nice starter setup for the low cost. You can separate it for the HOTAS feeling and it has a nice big rocker you can use for the rudder. You can lock the stick and not use twist.

Once you decide flight sims are for you, Hold out for the TM Warthog. You will never regret that choice. Consider the G930 wireless headset currently on sale at newegg. TIR Proclip fits nicely on it. Ofcourse going wireless on the Proclip is a must with a wireless headset :joystick: :pilotfly:

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I would suggest getting pedals before tracker if you can't get both at the same time. Now, I couldn't fly without tracker, but I have everything so it's a moot point for me. You aren't going to be able to fly some of those planes using a twisty stick or buttons for your rudder.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals