[CLOSED, NO BUG] Su-25T impervious to IR-guided missiles thanks to DIRCM

maturin

This is a really amusing track!

The Su-25T's Сухогруз IR jammer served me well against MANPADS in the past, so I decided to test it against IR-guided air-to-air missiles.

As you can see in the track, an Su-27 with a full payload of R-27ERs and x4 R-60s can't even come close to landing a hit in a tail chase.

As an added bonus, the AI ends up slamming into the ground while chasing me with guns. So an unarmed Frogfoot ends up taking down a Flanker that was bristling with missiles.

IR spoofing.trk

Are you sure this is the right mission?

I saw an SU-27 shoot down an SU-25 with radar missiles.

I stopped watching about 2 minutes after splashdown of the SU-25 corpse.

Edited by Oldguy
remove redundancy

Are you sure this is the right mission?

I saw an SU-27 shoot down an SU-25 with radar missiles.

I stopped watching about 2 minutes after splashdown of the SU-25 corpse.

:notify::notify::notify::notify:

I watched this track with my own eyes!

Surely the replay feature isn't so screwed up that the mission can be entirely different? The Flanker only had ERs.

And Tigar: When last I checked (admittedly long before 1.5), the jammer worked very well against MANPADS. The success rate was way north of 50%, if it was a pure tailchase situation.

Edit: I just watched the track again to verify that it is working. I should point out that the Flanker also displayed some rather suspect AI decisionmaking. It would shoot one single missile at me, then swerve away to extend the range. This may be good for BVR, but it's a silly thing to do when you are chasing a slow ground attack aircraft. Worse yet, it did not realize that the missile had missed until several minutes after it whizzed past my cockpit. The ERs had to actually impact the ground before the Flanker would return to the chase and fire another one at me.

Edited by maturin

Well - for AAMs I'll try it out in MP tonight with some friends.

As for MANPADS - it could be that I was expecting too much. I haven't flown the Rook for a long time, so as of lately I've been breaking off my attacks way too late giving the Strelas and Iglas an opportunity to send multiple missiles my way...

I did test a while ago.

That was flying above MANPAD, with different configurations - preventive flares, DIRCM, various engine RPM.

I need to do it again as it was years ago (and flare logic changed) and i lost the metrics since...- but globally :

Most essential factor is engine RPM. Slam your throttle back when fired upon and pump flares. Flares are absolutely useless with afterburner. Plane aspect can lower/increase that factor.

Preventive flare was useless back in the time, but they changed the flare logic in the meantime so this one need test again. At least, preventive flares works against Mig21.

DIRCM works well in the rear sphere. Lower per half PK - however it is impacted by Engine RPM. useless against frontal all-aspect IR missile.

Flares effect depends on many things - type of missile incoming (early or late IR seeker) - timing and volume of flares.