New monitor recommendation

Hi!

I am planing on getting myself a new monitor and I have two potential candidates.

First one: Acer Predator XB280HKbprz 28“ LED Monitor G-Sync

Second one: Acer Predator XB270Habprz 27“ LED Monitor G-Sync

The thing is both have 144Hz refresh rate but the first one is a 4K capable one while the second is a 1920x1080. I have a Asus Nvidia GTX970 STRIX video card so my concern is that is it enough to run DCS on a 4K monitor with a 4K resolution.

Every advice is welcome and the choice doesn't just have to be between those two monitors.

Thank you all!

Also running a 4k monitor here (res 3840*2160) on an MSI 970 and Intel I7 4770 whit 16GB Kingston RAM.

I have all settings on high (no ultra) Mirrors on, Vsync on, HDR on. Cockpit displays 512 (not 512 every frame)

DoF OFF, Lens Effects Dirt+Flare, Clutter Bushes 1500, Trees 9964, Preload Radius 150000.

MSAA 2x

AF 4x

Model Visibility Normal

Flat terrain shadows Off

Whit these settings i get between 45 and 60 FPS (note Vsync wont let it go higher)

Lower FPS is over newer parts of the map whit newer model cities

and the higher fps vice versa.

Not extensively tested in combat yet but should give you an idea.

Personally considering a SLI setup whit two 970's, but given the current conflicting reports about SLI im holding off on that one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

There is no such thing as 144hz in 4k resolution right now, because there is no interface with the required bandwidth to achieve that. The fastest interface currently in use is display port 1.2, and it is limited to 60hz in 4k. The highest resolution where you can achieve 144hz is 2560x1440.

Both monitors you propose are TN panels. Don't expect good image quality from these panels. For about the same price you can get what in my opinion is the best gaming monitors right now, which are 144hz 2560x1440 27'' IPS panels with adaptive sync. There are a couple of options.

Have a look at these:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

They are very closely matched, and even use the same panel. The largest difference is the Asus has Freesync and the Acer has G-sync.

Edited by Brisse

Thank you guys for inputs and clarification...I will sure look in to those monitors..4K was not mandatory anyway but I am concerned if a single GTX970 can run in 2560x1440 resolution on highest settings.

Edited by cro_mig_21

For about the same price you can get what in my opinion is the best gaming monitors right now, which are 144hz 2560x1440 27'' IPS panels with adaptive sync. There are a couple of options.

Have a look at these:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

They are very closely matched, and even use the same panel. The largest difference is the Asus has Freesync and the Acer has G-sync.

I'd just add that they're technically AUO AHVA panels (as IPS is made by LG/Philips) and that there were some quality control issues with those Acer's (check hardforum.com). So, if G-Sync is preferred, I'd suggest waiting to see how the upcoming Asus PQ279 with the same panel will fare.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Hey Brisse..do you think a single GTX 970 could run 1440p with the second Acer monitor you linked?

Absolutely. 1080 and 1440 is the sweetspot for the GTX 970. It's not good beyond 1440 though.

I'd just add that they're technically AUO AHVA panels (as IPS is made by LG/Philips) and that there were some quality control issues with those Acer's (check hardforum.com). So, if G-Sync is preferred, I'd suggest waiting to see how the upcoming Asus PQ279 with the same panel will fare.

And technically speaking the technology AHVA = IPS. They are just different trademarks owned by different manufacturers. Not to be confused with VA which is actually a different technology with different pros and cons.

The Asus ROG Swift PG279Q has just been released in my country and reviews are good but it's damn expensive. It also use the same panel as the previous two I mentioned. Only major difference is that it's overclockable to 165hz, which in my opinion is pretty useless and not worth the price premium. There's also an Eizo coming later this year, with similar specs.

I bought my Dad a Benq VA monitor to use with X-plane and night flying looks fantastic, with inky blacks whilst stars and clouds remain clearly visible. I do find that text (in general, not x-plane) is a bit blurry and I think that would bother me, although the effect may be aggravated by the fact he uses increased DPI (150% I think). I think I'll have to wait for OLED to get the best parts of both IPS and VA.

I'm currently using a 24" 1920x1200 Dell IPS and it's hard to imagine going down to a 1080 monitor, which rather limits my options anyway.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Dark blacks and very high contrast ratio is the selling point behind VA panels. They can achieve static contrast ratio approaching 5000:1 while IPS/AHVA are around 1000:1 and TN panels are even less, typically between 600:1 to 800:1

let me suggest this monitor because i have his liitle brother a 29" ultrawide and is awesome

LG 34UM95 review.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I simply love this one no input lag, nice colors big and immersive

It's a good buy given the price/size/performance ratio, but it most certainly does have a decent amount of input lag.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 3 weeks later...
It's a good buy given the price/size/performance ratio, but it most certainly does have a decent amount of input lag.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm

8.5ms G2G in gaming mode and 20.3ms in normal is great rating especially for a 4K monitor don't forget this isn't a TN panel. I don't do FPS and on flight sim it is not noticeable

Here what is 20.3ms mean http://www.displaylag.com/testing-method/

:)