Targeting while flying in Su-25t

Hi,

I need some advice on targeting while flying the Su25.

I mainly fly the Black Shark so I have that down pretty good, but I am finding it hard to lock targets while flying the Frog Foot.

*Do you guys just point the targeting box on the shkval using the plane or do you scroll it?

*If you scroll it what key designation do you use? The default keyboard or the top hat on the joystick?

*Is the targeting box supposed to snap on to a close target or do you have to have the box right on it before you lock?

*If you are scrolling the target box do you put the plane in level flight autopilot?

After getting used to the speed of the Black Shark I find that I have very little time to acquire target on the Frog Foot.

Any advice/input will be apprecitated.

Hello.

Here is what i usually do:

* point the targeting box

* i use the hat switch on my joystick for scroll

* can't remember right now, sry ^^

* usually yes.. the autopilot takes some workload off the pilot, so i use it

And yes.. acquiring targets with the su25T can be a pain sometimes, specially if you're solo. Having a wingman helps a great deal, even though the best scenario would involve a "spotter" of some sorts, since you can't really use JTAC. Most multiplayer missions aren't helping either.. since they are designed in the most part.. for the A10 as CAS and with no proper briefing.

A lot of it is also expectations.

A typical (AFAIK) attack sequence consists of the attacking aircraft gettting sight of the following in order:

1. Sight the attack area

2. Sight the target

3. Identify the target

4. Aim weapons and employ

The attack aircraft may actually turn around and 'reset' its position after each successive step, or it may not. Modern sensors help with this, but generally speaking sim pilots want to do all of this in one shot.

You can probably imagine that at some point a pilot will set up a favorable attack attitude between steps 3 and 4, of even earlier.

The point is though, once you sight the target area, decide whether you're going to fly at it while desperately trying to achieve #2, or if you will turn around, reset and give yourself room to do your search.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If you are looking through the Shkval in the Su25T and you hit the "target lock" button while you are not directly aiming at a target, it will stabilize the camera on the point it is looking at. Then, you can slew where that camera is over the ground. If you have your target size box set right, it will snap onto the target when you get it close.

The Shkval viewing area is not great for finding targets, so here is the best approach:

1. Circle the area a few times, get some good SA on where everyone is and where they are going.

2. Pick a target, look at it (with your eyes, not your Shkval)

3. Roll in towards your target

4. point the AC to get the pipper roughly near the target, then lock it to stabilize.

5. using the TV, refine your aim onto the target

6. Laser on, wait for LA, whoosh, bang

7. Turn away, dump flares, fly unpredictably to make it harder for AAA

Aiming with the AC is really rough, and aiming with the slew is really slow, so use the AC to get it close, and then used the slew to refine it.

I mostly fly the F-18, and mostly as a flight sim rather than a combat sim.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR4 3600, Valve Index

TM Stick/Throttle, Saitek Pedals, VAICOM

• 2 weeks later...

I have a modifier key on my hotas flight x that enables me to use the pov hat to skew the target reticle, I also have the lock set to the trigger and the zoom and target reticle box size all mapped with the modifier. Make sure you target lock the ground so to speak at it stabilises the reticle allowing you to skew much easier.

I generally lower the reticle a bit so it's pointing maybe 15 ° down and then point the aircraft in the general direction of the target and then skew and it will auto snap to a target when you skew over it, as long as the reticle is the right size for the target.

Once you figure out your own style it will become easy for you

Hi,

I need some advice on targeting while flying the Su25.

I mainly fly the Black Shark so I have that down pretty good, but I am finding it hard to lock targets while flying the Frog Foot.

*Do you guys just point the targeting box on the shkval using the plane or do you scroll it?

I move it always. After each pass I reset it and then to move it bottom corner depending which direction I turn.

*If you scroll it what key designation do you use? The default keyboard or the top hat on the joystick?

I use the mini joystick top of the G940 stick. Just like with Ka-50.

*Is the targeting box supposed to snap on to a close target or do you have to have the box right on it before you lock?

It automatically snaps to target if you have correct gate size. So I have gate size in throttle wheel (adjust as well gunpods angle). So I turn and then I Lock gate to ground and then II move gate above target.

*If you are scrolling the target box do you put the plane in level flight autopilot?

No, I use en-route autopilot. It will do couple things.

1) it will fly level but it will turn aircraft to direction where Shkval is pointing.

2) You can example search targets with Shkval and choose bombs and then simply keep pressing release button and autopilot flies so bombs drops correctly.

3) After the bombs has been dropped, the autopilot swaps to level-flight mode so no need to do anything, so you can even jump to outside look bombs dropping when training.

4) you can use it to fly at night with flint.

After getting used to the speed of the Black Shark I find that I have very little time to acquire target on the Frog Foot.

Air breaks are your friend, zooming is a tactic that gives more time and keeps your speed up and you up the heights. Or you can strafe in the 30 degree angle without losing a lock to stay away from AA or keep distance longer for longer time.

I noticed something happened with 1.5 beta, as Su-25T is now a speed monster. In my normal training mission I can now very easily get up to 800km/h speed in 15 degree dive with full old load (vikhrs, rockets2x, bombs 4x2, AA), while previously it was about 620km/h.

It is now way too easy to get too high speed while previously I needed to keep throttle all the time in full.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=150510

There is my basic process, but that is second flight with a Steam Controller, so I don't even have autopilot or such binded. Didn't even have airbrakes. The mission was generated just for the controller purpose.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.