Real-World Comms - questions

Colorfulmoose

Hello,

I'm looking for some input, hopefully from either real military pilots or knowledgable enthusiasts. One of my interests when it comes to military simulation is the technical side of things, from systems to communications, etc. In regards to comms, I found this video and had some specific questions.

If someone wanted to transcribe the whole thing and then translate, that would be great, but I can ask specific questions. (I'll consolodate knowledge by editing the post and putting information in GREEN as people answer questions.)

1. What role is Chalice in this scenario?

I assume that is the mission controller of some sort, but this is distinct from AWACS, correct? What would the technical term for that role be, and what would it entail?

2. When each flight checks in with Chalice, he reads a brief to them:

Restricted War, 13-19 thousand, IMC players only in those blocks, ball 1-1, no push, Altimeter 29.71, words (?) alpha, crate 4-7 mission cancel

Of all of that, I only understood that there was an altitude call (not sure what for) and the altimeter reading.

"13-19 Thousand" - 13,000 to 19,000 feet MSL

Altimeter 29.71 - Altimeter call so that pilots can calibrate their altimeters. Later on, when a (British?) flight checks in, I believe they ask him to translate it to Millibars for their altimeters.

3. Chalice calls (2:43):

All Players, Chalice, EOB Laurel Active Bullseye 185 for 24, Moe Active 204 for 30, Larry Active Bullseye 204 for 30, Larry Active 201 for 10, Curly Active Bullseye 206 for 17, Curly Active Bullseye 088 for 5, multiple EW active

This happens again at 8:08, this time from Chrome (not sure who that is either)

What is he calling the locations of?

"Bullseye yyy for xx" - Bearing yyy degrees for xx nautical miles from pre-established reference point "Bullseye"

4. What is "Push Tactical"? What is "Push Button 7" (or any other number)?

5. Chalice calls "Fiesta Jason" (4:07), "Fiesta Freddy" (6:12), "Fiesta Chucky" (6:22), what does this mean?

Later on, flights start calling "Fiesta Coors" as well.

6. Various calls reference "Gate"s. "Gate 4", "Gate 6", etc, especially before tanking or RTB. What is "Gate"?

Thanks for any answers!

There are two more videos put up by the same person, with even more fun comms to listen to.

Edited by Colorfulmoose
YouTube Link Not Embedding Properly

I will give it my best shot. I'm in the Canadian Air Force, but I am still undergoing training.

1. "Chalice" is the C/S for one of the AWACS. In this ex situation, it is the Red Flag AWACS.

2. Everything else is simply exercise specific. All relatively advanced for me, but I believe they are referring to 13-19k feet being restricted to participants flying under IMC.

3. Bullseye is a predefined point that is used as a reference for radio calls indicating a position. So in the first example, from C/S Laurel, radar contact of heading 185 and 24nm from the bullseye or predetermined reference point.

4. Push means change frequency. So change your frequency to X

5. Not sure. I have never heard it before, could be exercise specific, or numerous other things.

6. Gate is brevity code to afterburner. The # indicating anywhere from minimum to maximum afterburner.

1. Here CHALICE is the ''crew'' or ''backend'' callsign of the AWACS. The aicraft itself and its pilot have a different callsign, or ''frontend'' callsign. 963rd AACS,Tinker AFB uses ''SHUCK'' as frontend callsign and CHALICE as crew callsign.

The person using the CHALICE callsign here is a Weapon's director (WD).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Callsign: BUNZ

https://www.5vwing.com/

Re 5. I would say that the operator is referring to a specific sub unit group of various call signs.

there are fixed and "coded" C/S. Fixed don't change, "coded" C/S do. They aren't always used, think of them like an extra layer of security on top of encryption. Without the "instructions" for the specific task, as has been speculated a red flag ex, it would be impossible to know who they are specifically referring to. Code words can also refer to places, events, specific groups/elements/individuals in the AO, or anything really that might come from the boss.

Edited by dumgrunt

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really rusty, but here's my take on it.

Restricted War, 13-19 thousand, IMC players only in those blocks, ball 1-1, no push, Altimeter 29.71, words (?) alpha, crate 4-7 mission cancel

"Block" is a specified altitude range; here 13-19 thousand. Participants in the exercise are limited to that altitude range.

"Words (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie...Zulu)" are passing along mission relevant information; in this case that Crate's mission has been canceled.

#5 is definitely code specific to that mission/day. You would have to ask the pilots what those are, and then they would have to kill you ;)