Thoughts on MiG-21 visibility in 1.5?

ScapaFlow

Hi all,

Been doing a lot of dogfighting in 1.5 with friends, flying MiG-21 against 21 or FC3 fighters. The MiG-21 is the smallest of these planes so it should of course be harder to see.

But to me and my friends, there is a huge difference in how easy it is to spot a F-15C, (especially against the ground) compared to a MiG-21 or F-16C.

Yes, a F-15C is a much larger aircraft, but the difference in spotting seems too big to us.

What do other people think?

• Like 1

There is a option at the graphic settings to enlarge the models. Is this option on on your pc and off at others?

On the other side:

some real life reports (have donut ; make the best of the mig-21) state that the small size (and no/less smoke) make it pretty hard to spot, with eye or radar... so maybe everything is well....

We all have the enlarged option enabled. Thing is, that all other planes we've encountered in our BFM training is possible and even easy to see, but for some reason the MiG-21 is just as hard to spot as it was in 1.0.

We actually flew circles around an airfield, using the F10 map to check where the other one were supposed to be, for an eternity before we saw each other and then we lost sight soon after. However, when one of us jumped in a F-15, the other could see him right right away.

Had the same problem days earlier when our squadron was out flying, I was searching for my flight whom I'd lost sight off, for ages. The other squadrons A-10:s operating in the distance was easily seen without any effort, but I didn't see my formation until I ended up right behind them by pure chance.

If I have time tomorrow i'll set up a test and throw the results up here. It's be interesting to see what it yields. Say, shots of f-15 and Mig-21 at different ranges and angles for comparison.

Edited by Zomba

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

Screenshots or video would really help prove it if you are inclined, but that is a lot of effort. A formation flight would be best.

I'm not out to prove anything (like I said, the MiG-21 should be harder to spot), I'm just asking what other people think.

We set up an AI formation with MiG-21, 29, Su-25, F-15, 16 while we flew around it, and I thought about taking screenshots.

The problem is, it's much easier to spot the MiG-21 while it's flying in a straight line next to a F-15, so these screenshots are not very useful.

It's better to use a "real" scenario. Like, you and a friend agree to meet over Kutaisi city at roughly X altitude and then try to find eachother with Mk I eyeball.

It's fine to use F10 map or RWR so you know roughly where to look.

Fly against F-15 for 30 minutes and then against MiG-21 for 30 minutes, and see what you think. The big difference is when you try to spot them against the ground.

If I have time tomorrow i'll set up a test and throw the results up here. It's be interesting to see what it yields. Say, shots of f-15 and Mig-21 at different ranges and angles for comparison.

I thought of doing this, but I think you lose the "dynamic" parts of a dogfight, like scanning for moving objects while you're maneuvering. And I think this makes a difference in our discussion. Better to test it in a "real" scenario! :)

P.S. yes we had model visibility set to enlarged.

Edited by ScapaFlow

The problem with a "real" scenario is it's subjective and doesn't really tell you anything solid that's of much use. Why waste all that time producing something that has limited value?

Like I said, not looking to prove anything and I also think the MiG-21 should be harder to spot.

We'd like to know what other pilots think about this matter, if they have fought in VWR against the MiG-21 in 1.5.

But I guess a lot of pilots are still waiting for stability patches or 2.0.

I'm sorry, maybe i've been awake too long, but you're just not making any sense to me. You want to know what people think about a plane being smaller?

Hi all,

Been doing a lot of dogfighting in 1.5 with friends, flying MiG-21 against 21 or FC3 fighters. The MiG-21 is the smallest of these planes so it should of course be harder to see.

But to me and my friends, there is a huge difference in how easy it is to spot a F-15C, (especially against the ground) compared to a MiG-21 or F-16C.

Yes, a F-15C is a much larger aircraft, but the difference in spotting seems too big to us.

We were hoping to hear the opinion of other pilots who have fought in 1.5 vs the MiG-21, but I guess they aren't reading the MiG-21 forum.

Edited by ScapaFlow

We were hoping to hear the opinion of other pilots who have fought in 1.5 vs the MiG-21, but I guess they aren't reading the MiG-21 forum.

Since I have already flown the MiG-21 in 1.2 (and also fought against her) it looks fine for me as it is.

Better visibility at greater distances (thanks 1.5 :thumbup:) and the need for good eyes and a lot of training for the close in.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since 1.5 I find it's a bit easier to spot the Mig, but it's still pretty difficult compared to the heavy fighters, especially from length on with the ground as a backdrop. Sometimes I see the exhaust smoke before I notice the fighter. In one fight I was one of a pair of Migs that bounced an F-15 at low level. The other Mig got on his 6, where I ended up doing a head to head pass. The F-15 thundered past and looked pretty big and intimidating, but the Mig going past chasing him almost right after was just this diminutive little thing. It looked like a David versus Goliath fight.

Hi all,

The Mig-21 is just half the size of a F-15. It would be strange if there were no significant difference in spotting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124614&d=1444832599

Fox

Screen_151014_112331.thumb.jpg.a73f96da3366964a3761ba1b730d5860.jpg

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Camouflage works as well. The best camouflage should be some light grey shades in a kind of splinter pattern. like the "Northeria" livery, only it should be lighter I think. This works best for fighters. Brownish and greenish colors works best for ground attack aircraft. I did some research for it back in the Il-2 days. I also produced some skins for ground attack aircraft wich was basically just the ground textures of the environment. It worked really well. But it is more complicated for fighters because the color of the sky keeps changing, depening on how you look at it. So making an aircraft the color of the sky won't work.

Edited by 1.JaVA_Platypus

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

The Mig-21 is just half the size of a F-15. It would be strange if there were no significant difference in spotting.

I agree there should be a (significant) difference, I thought my original post was clear on that.

We just wanted hear if the rest of you guys thought the difference should be this significant, or somewhat less significant. It's cool to hear everyone's input.

Edited by ScapaFlow