Low GPU Usage

OP: Have you maxed out your detail settings? If not, try to max them out until you get 100%...

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I tried both to decrease and increase and nothing changes

AA to max? AF to max? Resolution? Can you post a screenshot of your graphics settings please?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I have the same issue as well. I think it is caused by units in the mission. For instance, when I load up Dragons Training Mission and start in the A-10C I get around 40fps on the ground with around 30% GPU usage. It goes up when I am in the air to 60ish but still does not max out my GPU's. However in the first A-10C instant action mission I see higher GPU usage and frame rate. I am thinking that the limiting factor is still the CPU, but this may also be caused by the training mission not being updated in some time.

Below spoiler contains images of this, also settings.

From Dragons Training Missions, Weapons Training. I should note, there is an FPS increase (not sure about GPU) when I look to the right which is just a field

LibmSKL.jpg

Instant Action Mission

11UKOK1.jpg

Settings Used

6Z2n9aG.jpg

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

AA to max? AF to max? Resolution? Can you post a screenshot of your graphics settings please?

Untitled.jpg

I've pushed to this limit and i'm actually hitting 99% only using external view (however as soon as i set a config to a more normal level the usage drops), any other case i strugget to get past 56% but never past 60%

Is your CPU at 100% or close to it?

Depth of field is currently bugged or something, its a massive FPS drop when viewing outside cockpit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."

- Lord Inquisitor Fyodor Karamazov

I've pushed to this limit and i'm actually hitting 99% only using external view (however as soon as i set a config to a more normal level the usage drops), any other case i strugget to get past 56% but never past 60%

Are you running this in true full screen mode? (i.e LALT+ENTER after you start DCS)

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

I constantly monitor CPU and GPU along with VRAM, RAM and PageFile when I run DCS 1.5.

My GPU fluctuates between ~50% to sometimes 99% usage, used PowerTarget is always 100% as well as used OverVoltage, mind you that even if I underclock the card, as soon as the NV drives recognizes a D3D executable being processed it kicks into the heaviest gear the card can deliver. I do not like the card to auto-overvolt and auto-powertarget at maximum values if I set it to normal or underclocked but the graphs in MSI tell me that the card does exactly this, no matter of the presets. It will hold the set MHz but overvolt like crazy thus

using all of the PowerTarget range. Good thing is it never goes over ~45°C with watercooling. That's about the only good thing about this behaviour with this card/driver.

I use MSI Afterburner, Asus GPU-Tweak, CoreTemp and some others to monitor my HW during 1.5 exercises. As soon as I start the DCS there also is a huge offload to a swapfile that creates by itself, roughly 3.8GB amnd roughly same size that the actual RAM will be used and filled up by DCS when started. Sztrange that I need ~4GB swap with 16GB RAM and the exe only using about 1/4 of the RAM available. Might be a Win10 system thing and not ED. It is strange tho.

If I underclock or default my CPU I never get close to 99% GPU iirc.

Your CPU must at some point draw enough to fill the GPU, that might be only with certain airframes, scenarios and point of view etc.. but you need a very very fast CPU to do that, otherwise your CPU will never draw enough frames that the GPU could further use.

That`s what I think makes the GPU go up and down from 50 to 99 and back. It seldom is somewhere inbetween, it's either half or full.

just my findings with the setup from sig max oc'ed as described

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have the same issue as well. I think it is caused by units in the mission. For instance, when I load up Dragons Training Mission and start in the A-10C I get around 40fps on the ground with around 30% GPU usage. It goes up when I am in the air to 60ish but still does not max out my GPU's. However in the first A-10C instant action mission I see higher GPU usage and frame rate. I am thinking that the limiting factor is still the CPU, but this may also be caused by the training mission not being updated in some time.

Scoggs, your second card is not used...

What GPUs do you have?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

I constantly monitor CPU and GPU along with VRAM, RAM and PageFile when I run DCS 1.5.

My GPU fluctuates between ~50% to sometimes 99% usage, used PowerTarget is always 100% as well as used OverVoltage, mind you that even if I underclock the card, as soon as the NV drives recognizes a D3D executable being processed it kicks into the heaviest gear the card can deliver. I do not like the card to auto-overvolt and auto-powertarget at maximum values if I set it to normal or underclocked but the graphs in MSI tell me that the card does exactly this, no matter of the presets. It will hold the set MHz but overvolt like crazy thus

using all of the PowerTarget range. Good thing is it never goes over ~45°C with watercooling. That's about the only good thing about this behaviour with this card/driver.

I use MSI Afterburner, Asus GPU-Tweak, CoreTemp and some others to monitor my HW during 1.5 exercises. As soon as I start the DCS there also is a huge offload to a swapfile that creates by itself, roughly 3.8GB amnd roughly same size that the actual RAM will be used and filled up by DCS when started. Sztrange that I need ~4GB swap with 16GB RAM and the exe only using about 1/4 of the RAM available. Might be a Win10 system thing and not ED. It is strange tho.

If I underclock or default my CPU I never get close to 99% GPU iirc.

Your CPU must at some point draw enough to fill the GPU, that might be only with certain airframes, scenarios and point of view etc.. but you need a very very fast CPU to do that, otherwise your CPU will never draw enough frames that the GPU could further use.

That`s what I think makes the GPU go up and down from 50 to 99 and back. It seldom is somewhere inbetween, it's either half or full.

just my findings with the setup from sig max oc'ed as described

So you are implying that the issue might be in the CPU?

The more i dig the more it tells me that one of the reason might be the CPU

Scoggs, your second card is not used...

What GPUs do you have?

2 980Ti's.

Those shots are from when the beta initially came out. Didn't set AFR2 and the whole alt+enter thing. No real change in FPS though.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

I find with my crossfire rig that a single card runs at 80-99% use while when both are running they sit at 40-50%. It seems multi GPU still needs tweaking.

Still better than 1.2

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

I find with my crossfire rig that a single card runs at 80-99% use while when both are running they sit at 40-50%. It seems multi GPU still needs tweaking.

Still better than 1.2

If your CPU runs 100% while your single GPU has 80-99% than 2 GPU will only show what you said, how should they do more if the CPU is the bottleneck, bright as a 1000w HPS.

SLI or Crossfire seem to be useful only for very high resolutions. With my single 980gtx ( not Ti )

I can run 1440p at a very pleasant speed. I would not opt for SLI, disregarding the money, it just wont pay unless I move to 4k or 5k screen. 110fps average ( MSI logs ) are more than I ever asked for with this setup.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I run an eyefinity step so my resolution is quite high at 5670x1080. Running in windowed mode to turn off CF GPU sits at 99% with core 1 around 40-50%, core 8 around 60-70% and all other cores down to 10-15%. Enter full screen and both GPU sit at 40-50% with no change in cpu usage. Fps goes up, but only 10 or so.

I'm sure this will improve with driver and game optimization.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

I have a i5 2500k 8gb and a 780gtx. Currently my GPU does not go beyond 55% gpu usage except for some external view under determinated circustances.

What are the specs on your power supply?

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3296 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU