Trim, control surfaces & visual clues

derodo

Hi there,

I was just wondering...I've read in other threads that trim is very basic, and it will be revised and enhanced with the EFM. And that kind of explains a few weird things I've experienced with trimming...though I still have some questions:

1) Should the control surfaces move slightly so the trimming effects are visible? I'd swear that's the case on other planes, but on the hawk I can't see the ailerons/rudder moving as I trim,

2) Should there be any visual hints on the cockpit so you can tell whether you're trimmed or not?

I'm using v1.5.0, and I'm loving it. I'm just curious to know if it's just me or those things are actually meant to work/look in a different way.

Edited by derodo

When trimming, your trim tabs are the flight surfaces that do the moving. These are located on the aft/outboard portion of the ailerons and, in general, just above the bottom of the rudder. As it doesn't take much disruption of airflow to change aircraft performance (for example, the speed gained from flap seals), these tabs are better for a more accurate trim.

As to your second question, many civilian and commercial aircraft are equipped with trim indicators (gauges for reading the position/amount of trim). To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe the majority of the military aircraft in DCS are equipped with trim indicators. This is just from what I've seen, and there are faaaar more knowledgeable folks here who can probably tell you exactly which aircraft have/do not have trim indicators, or if there is a general rule of thumb to go by to determine which do and which don't.

The Hawk cockpit does have trim switches although it does not show visually if they have been trimmed. Turn and slip indicator and ADI on normal level flight are your best indicators.

They will be implemented with the EFM.

Just to confirm, visual trim tabs flight control surfaces will be implemented when the EFM is done?