Komodo Simulation UH-1 Cyclic and Collective quick video review

Thanks! I ordered mine but won't ship until early next year! :(

Really nice landing. I'm glad it's not my skill - lack thereof - but rather lack of Komodo stick LOL! Can't wait for equipment to show up. Will go nicely with MFG rudders.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Wow.

Looks so much more natural to use for helos than a fixed wing throttle. I would mount the cyclic grip on a MSFF2 though , cheap, easy to do, and having force trim is just invaluable imo. Though you would have to sacrifice the long throw as the shaft would have to be much shorter so as to not overwhelm the FF motors. You might be able to make the throttle idle detent functional with some lua editing similar to this. (or maybe you could try DCS BIOS, though not sure if it works with non-Arduino MCUs)I wish DCS would implement a simple analogue axis mapping tool for detents for idle, afterburners, WEP, etc. like BMS has.

But watching your video is me really impatient for the next sale so I can get the Huey. The Komodo Ka-50 cyclic/collective looks like they'll be fantastic though. I might have to look into making my own generic collective to use for different helos.

Great review Windypants, When I tried Komodos Huey kit it was the cyclic that really impressed with its smooth non centering action.

Very nice kit.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Awesome review, I've been waiting for videos like this - the controls look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

It looks a lot like the cyclic and collective make the flight very smooth - it's definitely the smoothest Huey flight I've seen. Are you considering getting the Komodo pedals one day as well?

Have you tried flying the Blackshark or Mi-8 with these controls?

Do you have a link to which sunglass band you are using?

Also how do the buttons feel compared to the warthog? (I think that was a warthog in the corner).

Btw has anyone heard from Rich recently? The Facebook page has not been updated for nearly 2 months.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Awesome review, I've been waiting for videos like this - the controls look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

It looks a lot like the cyclic and collective make the flight very smooth - it's definitely the smoothest Huey flight I've seen. Are you considering getting the Komodo pedals one day as well?

Also how do the buttons feel compared to the warthog? (I think that was a warthog in the corner).

Btw has anyone heard from Rich recently? The Facebook page has not been updated for nearly 2 months.

The buttons are lighter force to depress than the TM Warthog. Rich is busy man but he actually contacted me in regards to the stick creep that was occurring. Rich has offered to make some adjustments to a new base and send me a new one. Definitely a testament to his dedication to the product. I will be making some more review videos in the near future. I would in the future consider getting the KA-50 cyclic and collective but, I still need to learn the module.

The buttons are lighter force to depress than the TM Warthog. Rich is busy man but he actually contacted me in regards to the stick creep that was occurring. Rich has offered to make some adjustments to a new base and send me a new one. Definitely a testament to his dedication to the product. I will be making some more review videos in the near future. I would in the future consider getting the KA-50 cyclic and collective but, I still need to learn the module.

Thank you WindyPants. I was curious about how I was going to mount my collective. Your video helped out quite a bit. I just have to wait patiently for my set to show up! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for the video. Looking good.

Waiting for my UH-1 Collective. Should have been finished in September, but than moved to early October...

Did anybody talk to him in the last few days? Still waiting for another reply from him... again.

Can't wait.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Fantastic, Rich contacted me on Monday to let me know my collective will be ready Tomorrow. :) Can't wait. Final payment sent. :)

SwissMag, yes I did get in contact with him, he explained he's flying all week, and sorting out a house move so rather snowed under at mo. He is cracking on with the orders though.

I'm sure he will be in contact with you as soon as he can.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Btw once you have your new base, and have gotten used to the new gear, I would love to see you pick up some cargo in the Huey. I find that is the hardest thing you can do, and I have a feeling the Komodo controls will make it easy as pie :)

Ask and you shall receive LOL. Not saying its easy as pie still very challenging.

WindyPants, did you say that you were a helicopter pilot in real life?

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Yes I flew UH-60 Blackhawks in the Army National Guard. I currently fly commercially for an airline.

That's a hooah. (ex Infrantryman!) :)

You should try the RIFT if you can. It *completely* changes how aircrafts feel. If you ever get a chance, I'd love to hear how it maps to the "real" world. The problem with TrackIR and multi-monitors is that you don't get the sensation of speed etc.

I always found it difficult to nail the landing. With RIFT, it's orders of magnitude easier. Just from the 3D/VR feedback.

thanks

Hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I'm still trying to get my head around paying over £600 for a collective, and as much again for a cyclic controller!

Have I got that wrong, or are these items hugely expensive?

Compared to an off the shelf warthog or even x-55, sure it's a big cost.

But compared other true helicopter simulation products I've seen, these are either the best price or very competitive given that they are handmade, high quality and very accurate with hall-sensors, and buttons from industrial applications. From everything I've seen they are commercial simulator quality controls, but with a standard USB port, no weird adapters and control units, and also without the commercial price tag.

Not cheap sure, but worthwhile if you want to enjoy simulation to the max without getting frustrated at the controls.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Compared to an off the shelf warthog or even x-55, sure it's a big cost.

But compared other true helicopter simulation products I've seen, these are either the best price or very competitive given that they are handmade, high quality and very accurate with hall-sensors, and buttons from industrial applications. From everything I've seen they are commercial simulator quality controls, but with a standard USB port, no weird adapters and control units, and also without the commercial price tag.

Not cheap sure, but worthwhile if you want to enjoy simulation to the max without getting frustrated at the controls.

Agreed Tom. This controller setup is not cheap. But you are getting a custom made highly detailed replica of a helicopter control system. To me I don't regret spending the money. This is an enthusiast level investment into your flight sim experience. If you take the plunge you'll not be disappointed. Now if DCS comes out with a UH-60 Blackhawk you damn well know I'll be pestering Rich to make me a set of controls for that module.