Komodo Simulation UH-1 Cyclic and Collective quick video review

Agreed Tom. This controller setup is not cheap. But you are getting a custom made highly detailed replica of a helicopter control system. To me I don't regret spending the money. This is an enthusiast level investment into your flight sim experience. If you take the plunge you'll not be disappointed. Now if DCS comes out with a UH-60 Blackhawk you damn well know I'll be pestering Rich to make me a set of controls for that module.

Yup, you'd just need the collective/cyclic since the base is there already. I'd *LOVE* to see Apache, Blackhawk, Little Bird, and a Cobra. Come on now..it's not like I'm asking for too much! :)

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I posted the following comment on your video, but maybe others here had similar questions:

A couple questions:

1: Do you fly other helos in DCS? (Mi-8, Ka-50)? These helicopters implement a trim release and autopilot which cannot be accurately simulated by a passive stick. If you do fly these helos with your setup, how do you get around the sim's assumption that you should return the stick to center? As a former UH-60 pilot, I'm sure you know already, but for others who might be reading this, in an actual helicopter, pressing the trim release disengages the autopilot, drops the reference heading/attitude and disengages the trim. The stick can then be freely moved, much like the damped stick hardware shown here. When the trim release button is released, the trim reengages, creating a new center position for the stick, and the autopilot reengages and picks up a new referenced heading and attitude. When the trim release button is not pressed, the stick has a return-to-center behavior much like that of traditional joysticks. This is true on the cyclic, collective, AND pedals (Depending on the specific helo, of course)

2: Is there any kind of mechanical slop or bending in either the cyclic or collective sticks? What about sticktion? From the video, you appear to be making small movements to the collective stick which don't appear to be all that smooth.

3: How much throw does the stick have? (Angle of throw, stick length to handle, and arc length at handle) How does it compare to the control throws of the UH-60?

4: I believe this company makes pedals as well, though they lack toebrakes. Any planes on picking those up?

Thanks for the video! I had an idea for a damped stick with no spring return for a while now. Glad to see someone finally made one. I want to tear it apart and see how it works.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

I'm still trying to get my head around paying over £600 for a collective, and as much again for a cyclic controller!

Have I got that wrong, or are these items hugely expensive?

Well. I pad $400 for my Warthog setup and the throttle died about a year ago. Opened it up and saw what looked like complete garbage. Never buying anything Thrustmaster again. Had an X-52 stick that also died, and looking around Amazon, it looks like the Saitek (X-55) is pretty much garbage aswell.

Suddenly a full Komodo Ka-50 package seems to be the way to go, eventually! :santa:

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

I posted the following comment on your video, but maybe others here had similar questions:

1: Do you fly other helos in DCS? (Mi-8, Ka-50)? These helicopters implement a trim release and autopilot which cannot be accurately simulated by a passive stick. If you do fly these helos with your setup, how do you get around the sim's assumption that you should return the stick to center? As a former UH-60 pilot, I'm sure you know already, but for others who might be reading this, in an actual helicopter, pressing the trim release disengages the autopilot, drops the reference heading/attitude and disengages the trim. The stick can then be freely moved, much like the damped stick hardware shown here. When the trim release button is released, the trim reengages, creating a new center position for the stick, and the autopilot reengages and picks up a new referenced heading and attitude. When the trim release button is not pressed, the stick has a return-to-center behavior much like that of traditional joysticks. This is true on the cyclic, collective, AND pedals (Depending on the specific helo, of course)

I've played around with using a no spring joystick and for DCS, you turn of center trimming in the options. And there is also a lua file where you set a trim setting to 0 (can't remember what it is, but I found it here on the forums) so that when you use trim it doesn't push the axis forwards by an extra amount.

Then you fly as normal - press/release the trim button as you always would. But your joystick stays where you left it, like a real cyclic would. So the advantage is you are able to physically tell how trimmed you are by the deflection.

This lets you use the trim button in something like the ka-50 where the autopilots use the trim inputs to program what the helicopter does.

I've heard Rich is also working on a base with force trim so that it feels more like the real thing in regards to spring and hydraulic feel.

4: I believe this company makes pedals as well, though they lack toebrakes. Any planes on picking those up?

There is pretty in-depth review of the pedals here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142565&highlight=komodo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Woohoo, my collective turned up today. Stunning quality and a very nice build. Took a quick 5 mins to setup, remember to calibrate it in windows first. Yep I know rookie mistake :doh:

All switches work perfectly, just need to find a way to mount it now so it's ready for use. The base itself already comes pre drilled with mounting holes. I've just not got around to getting something ready prior to its arrival.

But even a quick use with it sat on my knee, made for rather Intresting flying I can tell you, I am convinced that this will make a huge difference to my helo flying.

Can't recommend enough

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Rich informed me on Monday that my collective would be finished on Tuesdays and shipped by the end of week.

Getting excited :)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Argghhhh, you guys are killing me. Mine is probably Jan-Feb time frame.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Argghhhh, you guys are killing me. Mine is probably Jan-Feb time frame.

hsb

Would it help if I say that the Collective is now picked up by the postal services and I received the tracking number? :D

I waited also for a long time. I ordered mine on 8th June 15... :music_whistling:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

LOL. Enjoy it swissMAG. I'll be joining your shortly. And MFGs are nice, aren't they?

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

All now setup. :)

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: