US 610 Gal. Fuel Tank for F-15C

• 3 weeks later...

here's a quick update. i've been extremely busy working 2 jobs and taking summer classes... so not a lot of progress, but it's almost done! here is a render of the UVW map applied to the fuel tank. i am working on the skin now. :thumbup:

61019uvwpl2.th.jpg

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

viper, is ED fingers up with the new tank??? Its perfect IMO. :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

viper, is ED fingers up with the new tank??? Its perfect IMO. :)

Thanks! I haven't heard from ED yet. Like I said, they know about the project and are most likely waiting until I submit the final model to them in order to make a decision. I don't have a final poly count yet, but it's around 1500 for the LOD-1 model - so that shouldn't be too resource hungry. I'll be making an LOD-2 model as well, which will be pretty easy to do compared to the LOD-1.

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

cool, once its over you can finish this project and send it in to ED. And if they accept it (which they should because its freakin great) maybe you can start work on a Mig-29 fuel tank :P .

How'd I get volun-told for that? jk.

In all honesty, I have some skinning projects that I'd like to finish after I finish the F-15 fuel tank - including one that I think will be very substantial for the Lomac environment! So that's pretty much a no-go for the MiG-29, sorry :( .

I started on the skin - got all of the panel lines and about 80% of the markings in place (everything else you see is temporary). The rivets on the back will get a little more attention too. Here's a render:

61022vg6.th.jpg

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

Does the model have LODs ? And how many polys does it have? I wonder if it is more then entire F-15 model :D

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Nice work Viper! :) .

Can I ask you how you got that 3D background for your rendering? - it looks cool for presentation :) .

Cheers,

- JJ.

Update!

-modified tank shape

-added fuel hoses

-scaled and placed suspension lugs

perspective and left viewports:

610170jl.th.jpg 610183yv.th.jpg

to do list:

-cut out fuel cap shapes and indent them inwards

-make and place textures

-submit model to ED :thumbup:

JJ

In all honesty, I have some skinning projects that I'd like to finish after I finish the F-15 fuel tank - including one that I think will be very substantial for the Lomac environment! So that's pretty much a no-go for the MiG-29, sorry :( .

haha its cool, i will enjoy this fuel tank on my F-15 though, I'm not going to drop it even when its out of fuel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does the model have LODs ? And how many polys does it have? I wonder if it is more then entire F-15 model :D

You almost gave me a heart attack. I went back to check the exact count and it was around 3600!!! I knew something was not correct, checked it again... the model had been converted to an editable mesh when I UVW mapped it. I converted it back to editable poly - what it originally was - and it is a total of 1283 right now (huge difference!). Also, I found a couple of places where I can cut out some polys that were extra - which will decrease that number by about 150. So I estimate the final LOD-1 to be at 1150 or so. So in other words, yes it will have LODs, but right now I have only made LOD-1 and have to get everything correct on it before making LOD-2 (which will be pretty easy). One thing is for sure, it will look great on the F-15 if ED accepts it!

Nice work Viper! :) .

Can I ask you how you got that 3D background for your rendering? - it looks cool for presentation :) .

Cheers,

- JJ.

Sure! I will make another post later tonight in the 3D models section. I would post it here but it is too many steps and details for this thread. How's your 3D modeling going? If you need any help or have any questions you can also PM me anytime! :thumbup:

I'm not going to drop it even when its out of fuel.

Thanks for your support!

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

Sure! I will make another post later tonight in the 3D models section. I would post it here but it is too many steps and details for this thread.

Ay - that sounds a little intimidating :D .

How's your 3D modeling going? If you need any help or have any questions you can also PM me anytime! :thumbup:

Thanks Viper - thats very kind of you :) . Unfortunately I haven't had the oppotunity to fiddle much with it lately(summer is busy times for me), but I am still determined to learn and hopefully I will have more time for it in the winter :) .

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Guest IguanaKing

That DOES look friggin' outstanding iViper! :D Since I have never done 3D modeling before...how difficult would it be to modify that to look like a 600 gal. fuel tank like the A-10s and F-111s carry?

Nice! :D

Thanks!

WHOA FREAKIN NICE :thumbup:

Double thanks!

That DOES look friggin' outstanding iViper! :D Since I have never done 3D modeling before...how difficult would it be to modify that to look like a 600 gal. fuel tank like the A-10s and F-111s carry?

Probably not too bad - but I would need a side profile of the tank (from a scale drawing). Also, I'd have to make a new texture/skin for it. I'll look into it after finishing this model. Finally, I would need measurements to scale the model to its appropriate dimensions. Gotta luv the A-10!!! :joystick:

WOW!!! If ED doesnt accept it, which they should! Is it possible for you to just make this into a mod for lock on useing like Modman/Loman?

Unfortunantly no. To the best of my knowledge, ED has not and is not planning on releasing the MAX->LOD converter that would be required for the model to be incorporated into the game.

as they say in the hood... TIGHT!

Thanks!

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

wow viper it looks amazing. can u please make a similar amazing looking detailed A-10 please ? :p

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Unfortunantly no. To the best of my knowledge, ED has not and is not planning on releasing the MAX->LOD converter that would be required for the model to be incorporated into the game.

Yes, they don't plan to release their format converter but this model could be very likely accepted by ED.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer