Downloading up-to-date nVidia drivers will soon require GeForce experience

nVidia recently announced that they will only be releasing frequent and game-optimized drivers through GeForce Experience and that GeForce Experience will require a (valid ?) email address. Regular driver downloads will still be available, but will only be updated at a rate of roughly once every 3 months.

(Source 1, Source 2).

As you can imagine, people are totally enthusiastic over at the nVidia forums... :D

Sooo... for up-to-date drivers we need to install bloatware and create yet another profile. Great choice, nVidia, you're getting better and better at making ATI look like an alternative. :doh:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATI is starting to look like an alternative indeed. Atleast if they even stop those 3 month releases. Never had any need to update drivers more frequently than that anyway so for now it's still good.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

I already have it installed, so no worries here ;)

People get too worked up about this stuff :)

Probably true. ;)

I just like to maintain the illusion that I decide what goes on my computer and what doesn't, and I think it's a pretty bad choice by nVidia to ask for my email address just because of some kind of driver update utility. After all we're talking about expensive products. I think it's not too much to ask to be granted top-grade after-sales support, seeing as we're millions of buyers out here and (unlike with Facebook, Twitter and such) we've already paid for the product.

I also like to maintain a small software footprint, so IMO GeForce Experience is bloatware. I don't want it, I don't need it. Making it mandatory for up-to-date drivers, I don't get it, it's a bad choice.

• ED Team
Sure thing. ;)

Doesn't make it any better that they collect this data in the first place. :noexpression:

Yeah, but everyone does it, its all about peeking in on our habits... :)

I get it though, but I have had no issue with nVidia's stuff and have been using Experience for quite a while now.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

GeForce Experience works fine. The ShadowPlay feature is pretty neat. So is the automatic optimization for games.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I've always used Experience. Shadowplay is a great video recorder, and I'm plenty happy to have Ex loaded just for that.

My system is limited. Core @ Duo running at 30ish FPS before 1.5 (Now near 60). Never saw an impact from Shadowplay.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

Why is it still a surprise that vendors collect data on us all?

And as for this "bloatware", it is the easiest thing in the world to quit out of it when you don't need it running for upgrades. Where is the problem? Can't you afford a little space on your fourth hard drive for it?

I'm really going to cut off my nose to spite my face, and go to an alternative when of course they've been behind the curve for a while and are only now catching up!

I've always used Experience. Shadowplay is a great video recorder, and I'm plenty happy to have Ex loaded just for that.

My system is limited. Core @ Duo running at 30ish FPS before 1.5 (Now near 60). Never saw an impact from Shadowplay.

But wouldn't you agree that it should remain your choice whether or not you use this tool? These features exceed what I'd expect from a mere driver, and I simply hate the notion that a vendor knows best what tools I should install.

Why is it still a surprise that vendors collect data on us all?

Is it good because everyone does it? I tend to disagree. The idea that some hardware vendor collects data on my particular usage of his hard- and software is pretty scary and annoying IMO.

As long as it's an opt-in program or at least comes with a very easy opt-out, I'm fine with it. It shouldn't be mandatory or bundled with something unrelated, though.

And as for this "bloatware", it is the easiest thing in the world to quit out of it when you don't need it running for upgrades. Where is the problem? Can't you afford a little space on your fourth hard drive for it?

Space is not the problem, obviously.

I recently read a nice rant (more about source code and not so much about installed programs, but I think the idea behind it applies to both): Code is a liability. Having lots and lots of source code might make the PR department happy, but from a programmer's perspective, it's desirable to keep the code base small and well maintained.

I think the same is true of installed software. I try to avoid stuff I don't need, and I try to use the right tool for the job, meaning I select the tool. When I look at many PCs, they're full of crap and trash and run like it. I've seen many PCs that had better hardware than mine but took forever to boot because every piece of crap also wants to be part of the boot sequence so these stupid tools load faster whenever nobody uses them.

Once again, GeForce Experience might be a nice tool with nice features and I don't have a problem with anyone running it. I just don't want nVidia decide for me that I should really, really install and run it if I want my drivers to be up-to-date.

These things are separate and should remain separate IMO.

What exactly do you mean by "quit out of it"? Because if I have to actively stop an auto-loading program after every Windows start, that's not the easiest thing in the world; neither is running msconfig or uninstalling said program or just about anything I have to actively do. The easiest thing in the world is to not install something I don't want in the first place.

I mean right clicking the icon in the task bar and selecting exit.

It is also possible to prevent any installed software from running on start up, and simply being run when you want to make the required updates.

You can also use software like End It All to close any unnecessary background processes.

Again, I fail to see where the issue is. It is the right of any vendor to market and package his software any way he chooses, and to harvest information to improve their software or to use for marketing. Nvidia are not some fly by night bunch of con merchants, and they are obliged simply by their valued reputation to use the information they obtain responsibly.

But of course it is your choice not to accept their methods, but I still say that to stop using the best available graphics systems because of a minor inconvenience isn't what I'd choose.

Again, I fail to see where the issue is. It is the right of any vendor to market and package his software any way he chooses, and to harvest information to improve their software or to use for marketing.

And what if vendor decide to harvest your bank account access and some private information you have to improve their software or to use for marketing?

But of course it is your choice not to accept their methods, keep you private data hided. In this case your PC will be just a overpriced nice-looking piece of metal one day.

This is the way you offering.

Всех убью, один останусь!

neither is running msconfig

Actually I used to do exactly that. Since 1CGS had advised to shut off GFE while running BoS

You just check the box for any program you don't want to start with Windows. 10 has made that even easier.

I don't think there's any penalty to running GFE. Generally it's good not to have so many background processes running but since GFE is made to run while you're gaming I don't imagine it's a problem. My game troubles had another source besides Nvidia.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

And what if vendor decide to harvest your bank account access and some private information you have to improve their software or to use for marketing?

The usage data these companies collect is I'm sure a huge benefit in designing the product. If DCS doesn't collect data like that for this game, they should.

If somebody wanted your bank account info they wouldn't use a video game to get it. I'm sure there are better ways.

So I have to take action in order to prevent a program from running that I never wanted. At the very least that's an inconvenience. I don't get what's so hard to understand about the fact that I don't want to be forced to do that every time my computer starts. ;)

It is also possible to prevent any installed software from running on start up, and simply being run when you want to make the required updates.

Again forcing me to take action against something I never wanted.

It's like those pizza leaflets and free "news"papers and scrap metal collector reminders and other crap that gets stuffed in your mailbox. Sure, you can just toss it into the paper bin. But wouldn't it be nicer if all that crap was never put into your mailbox in the first place?

Again, I fail to see where the issue is. It is the right of any vendor to market and package his software any way he chooses, and to harvest information to improve their software or to use for marketing. Nvidia are not some fly by night bunch of con merchants, and they are obliged simply by their valued reputation to use the information they obtain responsibly.

I was about to reply something serious, but the part about nVidia not doing anything bad because of their valued reputation just made my day :thumbup: :D

[Running msconfig] Actually I used to do exactly that. Since 1CGS had advised to shut off GFE while running BoS

You just check the box for any program you don't want to start with Windows. 10 has made that even easier.

Like I said above, why should I take action against software I never wanted?

I think bundling graphics drivers and a graphics utility is a bad choice, they should keep it unbundled so that everyone can decide what they want on their computers and what not. Sure, nVidia can just do whatever they like, but I don't have to like them back for it.

Besides, I think basically the points people are making are:

- GeForce Experience is quite useful for certain purposes

- GeForce Experience doesn't eat (all that much) performance

- Not running GeForce Experience after it's installed requires only a few minor steps

- nVidia can do whatever they please

Is there any point *pro* GeForce Experience? Mostly these are all of the not-so-con type. Okay, I get it, some people don't have a problem with it.

But why should I run GeForce Experience, and why should I feed nVidia with profile and maybe even performance and usage data despite my declared unwillingness to do so? Come on, sell it to me, make it look good, make me want it! :book: :lol:

I'm sure it varies by manufacturer but I know that most posts on the EVGA forum say to not even install GeForce Experience and some are upset at Nvidia's decision.

I tried it for a while but outside of shadowplay, there was no benefit that I could find. It did manage to muck up my EuroTruck 2 settings when it when to "optimize" so I've never installed it since.

Yes, it's easy enough to keep it from starting and easy enough to shut it off, but like Yurgon said, shouldn't have to if you don't want it in the first place.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

- nVidia can do whatever they please

Is there any point *pro* GeForce Experience? Mostly these are all of the not-so-con type. Okay, I get it, some people don't have a problem with it.

But why should I run GeForce Experience, and why should I feed nVidia with profile and maybe even performance and usage data despite my declared unwillingness to do so? Come on, sell it to me, make it look good, make me want it! :book: :lol:

Frankly, if you think all businesses are just pirates, then good luck to you! If you have ANY personal details such as bank account details on your PC then you're just asking for trouble. At worst, I use a debit card here to make purchases, and that protects me against theft. I personally bought my Nvidia card through a third party, so no, Nvidia have no access in any way shape or form to ANY of my financial records. Let's just stick to facts, and not turn this into a farce shall we? The menacing data that Nvidia gather is as simple as what I have bought in the past, where in the world I am, and possibly how I use my PC. My age, and demographics profile - just like your supermarket loyalty card, or the card you use to collect reward points at your local petrol vendor.

If you're so worried about identity theft, or having your bank account cleared out by Nvidia - think again!

I'll send you some aluminium foil to put on your head just in case if you like! I was countering your assertions simply to put the record straight. I have absolutely no interest in selling you anything. I was just countering your argument because some people might actually think what you say makes sense - and guess what? it doesn't!

If you want Nvidia, and you want updates, have them, if not, then don't. Just don't make it seem like a reputable company are after your bank details. Unlike some German car manufacturers, MOST companies value their reputations, and that means using good business practices. I pity you and your cynicism. Like I said, I can send some aluminium foil if you need it!

Frankly, if you think all businesses are just pirates, .....
..... value their reputations, and that means using good business practices. I pity you and your cynicism. Like I said, I can send some aluminium foil if you need it!

This is the bright example of carefully nourished by modern society type of the person consenting with everything said on TV, Press and in Advertisement.

"All corporates are good, all advertisement is true, everything new is better than anything old, everybody on TV are good people, everybody care of you. Listen to them. Give them everything you have. Fight everybody who think different. Be active, Be New, BE NEXT - Buy more!"

P.S. It's better to keep your foil with you, pal. :)

Всех убью, один останусь!

If you just normally quit the program there are still plenty of services from nVidia left running ;)

So for someone wanting to stop geforce experience he would also have to disable all a bunch of services which are coming with the tool.

[...] MOST companies value their reputations, and that means using good business practices. I pity you and your cynicism. Like I said, I can send some aluminium foil if you need it!

Well, there this comes to my mind: http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-faces-false-advertising-lawsuit-over-gtx-970-specs/

Don´t get me wrong - I´m a long term nVidia user and this is probably going to stay that way - but at the end of the day nVidia just is another company looking for profit.

Edited by golani79

This is the bright example of carefully nourished by modern society type of the person consenting with everything said on TV, Press and in Advertisement.

"All corporates are good, all advertisement is true, everything new is better than anything old, everybody on TV are good people, everybody care of you. Listen to them. Give them everything you have. Fight everybody who think different. Be active, Be New, BE NEXT - Buy more!"

P.S. It's better to keep your foil with you, pal. :)

I'm afraid you are just utterly wrong with what you assume. Where did I state that all advertising is good? Frankly you are just being absurd.

Who I trust and don't trust has never been implied or stated. I have been around on this planet for a few years now, and in that time I have defined for myself a lot of values and opinions. I neither advertise what they are, nor try to impose them on others.

I don't need to justify my choices to you or anyone else. The whole point of stating what I have here is to establish some balance to an otherwise unreasonable, unbalanced and almost paranoid view stated by the OP. The simple fact is that Nvidia have chosen a path, and that path is legal, and reasonable. Do you, or anyone else here have any evidence to suggest otherwise? If not, then let's keep this thread sensible, and stop trying to suggest the world is coming to an end, or that Nvidia are a bunch of cowboys.

Fact: Nvidia are a well respected business with much much more to lose than gain by underhand tactics or practices. It simply doesn't make business sense for them to start to defraud their customer base.

Fact: You can disable the Geforce Experience software, and it can also run in the background without issues.

Can you dispute either statement? and do so without widening the debate, or implying that other people are stupid, or naive? It is up to the individual to make informed choices on whatever basis he pleases. The point here is INFORMED, and the OP made a biased, unjustifiable statement based purely on prejudice and personal choice.

If he, or anyone else has evidence to show that an organisation IS doing anything underhand, then fine, let's hear it. But DON'T imply things that are simply scaremongering and based on nothing but prejudice. Also, don't suggest that I am naive or stupid. I'm not, and I resent your implications.

I have been a customer of Nvidia for many years, and I have had no reason to complain. I have never been bombarded with spam by them, or any organisation that they have passed my information to. Have you?

GFE is just another one of the user-friendly products like Steam that have come out which have brought PC gaming back from the brink to a point where this platform actually is surpassing the consoles.

The old days of arcane unexplained graphic settings and manual driver updates and games sold on CDs are thankfully gone.

The stuff GFE does like explaining the graphic settings and optimizing them, automatically informing you of updates and installing them. And cool features like streaming and Shadowplay. All of that makes PC gaming approachable and cool.

Unless you put on your tinfoil hat there really is no downside to GFE. And it's not there due to some conspicpracy theory, it's there because customers want it.

Nearly twice as many people have an Nvidia GPU rather than ATI. Probably features like GFE is one of the reasons. AMD now has the AMD Gaming Evolved App which is essentially the same thing.

Edited by SharpeXB

Haha, this is developing in a fun, albeit unintended direction. ;)

Unlike some German car manufacturers, MOST companies value their reputations, and that means using good business practices.

Now hold on! VW would *never* risk their reputation by using bad business practices!

Uh... hold on... okay, yeah, actually they would.

But I'm sure you have good reason to believe nVidia would *never* risk their reputation by using bad business practices because... uh... well because! :lol:

• ED Team
Haha, this is developing in a fun, albeit unintended direction. ;)

Now hold on! VW would *never* risk their reputation by using bad business practices!

Uh... hold on... okay, yeah, actually they would.

But I'm sure you have good reason to believe nVidia would *never* risk their reputation by using bad business practices because... uh... well because! :lol:

You should be careful when walking down the street, as with anything... known and understand the risks, and decide what your comfort level is with anything.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I will take manual driver updates and my ability to set all my own individual graphics settings any day, which is why I have a custom built pc to play games to start with. I don't need software to tell me how to best run my games.

Those that use and like GFE that is fine, but I don't want to be told I have to use it to get my driver updates. I much prefer to choose the driver I feel is best for me and my system.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|