Sim v Game

Sim v Game  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Sim v Game

• SIMULATOR
    • GAME

Define 'sim' and 'game'...

yea it all depends on definitions, Im sure mine is different from everyone elses

but for what its worth

Sim..designed to teach

Game....designed to be enjoyed

of course its also possible to enjoy a sim and learn from a game,

just as its possible for software to be a mixture of both genres

so its all a bit grey really I suppose:joystick::)

oo err...missus:animals_bunny:

** Anti-Pastie**

Quite frankly, I enjoyed my time on the B732 sim (full motion, all controls etc) while doing my conversion. I think they would have been a bit negative with me if I'd said 'Nice game!'

I feel LO is an attempt at a sim, within the confines that a PC imposes, ie it attempts to simulate realistic flight/weapon/EW dynamics. Compare that to 'Ace Combat', which attempts none of that.

So, for me, a PC sim can be called a 'sim', based on the developers intent, and how well they manage to implement reality. It can obviously be argued that LO has failed to implement reality to a close enough level. Nonetheless, despite not implementing a full start up sequence for example, it does attempt to realistically portray real world tactics. As many would argue however, it fails at that. It does have a good chance of succeeding however, with future iterations.

Take Steel Beasts ProPE - that clearly falls within the scope of 'sim' to me, despite not completely modelling ALL functions of an MBT ballistic computer (again, for example). It does however allow the use of real world tactics, and real world gunnery techniques. The intent, and overall tactical use is there. You could hardly call it a 'game', I believe.

To those that say that sims have to simulate every little function that the real deal has, as well as have ALL controls...well, I'll just say then there aren't any sims at all in that case...(as has been said)

Why are you guys making such a big deal out of this WHO CARES!!! it's a GAME what it's a SIM. no no no it's a SIMGAME no GAMESIM oh my this will never end.

Guest IguanaKing

I like Hawg's idea too. It doesn't matter. I'm not sure why "game" has to be a dirty word. Do even the multi-million dollar simulators match the real thing? Yes...but in procedures only...that's what sim's are for, so you can practice procedures without risking death. Game, simulator, same thing. :D

IMO A game is a game and "sim" is a genre. Lockon/FC is a flight sim game.. A "real" sim (flight/automobile/VR...) is used in military and industry. If lockon is just a sim, we should call most fps games (Americas army, Counterstrike, Quake, Doom, BF2..) a shooting simulator.

It is a flight sim with a damn good (balanced) game play.

If you can buy it at the Simware-store then it is a sim.

PS. for me RL is a game.:thumbup:

• Like 1

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

I voted SIM. Flaming Cliffs is a simulator on a budget. LUA script allows you to drive external gauges and instruments. Inputs (switches, dials, simulated through keyboard inputs) work the same way as in real airplanes. AFM on Su-25T and Su-25 is, in my opinion, very well simulated.

The difference between the commercial, full size simulators and Flaming Cliffs is in price and equipment. Both are simulators.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Paralyzer, when will you get updated?

I miss your mafia like tactics online. :D

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

IMO FC is a Jet Combat Flight sim, ultimately that is EDs goal to make it as realistic as possible. I wouldn't place it in the Entertainment category as it is far from being that type of software. Acecombat and Topgun Fire at will are what I call Entertainment software , they have actors and feature a story line etc. People can call all of them computer games(even the real simulators used by real pilots), but sims like FC and F4AF are closer to the real deal than Acecombat etc.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I KNEW IT results are almost tied. This question used to come up all the time about Ghost recon. GR was marketed as a sim for realism but after awhile alot of people wanted to call it a game. Still Red Storm offered it as a sim actually.

Its hard to say but i clicked sim because I know thats what the dev's would first call Lock ON. Sims can be fun though and can be games too so this is a real funny area IMHO.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Guest IguanaKing

I would place it in the entertainment category, because if it didn't entertain us in some way, we wouldn't be messing with it. We're simmers, we're a different breed, and having to think our way through something is entertainment to us. So, it can just as easily be called a game. ;)

I voted sim but I have no probs calling it or any other sim a game. Lockon tries to simulate something that is real and that’s my opinion on a sim. I’ve seen Apache pilots training in a very low fidelity cockpit, just a few monitors that displayed the most important gauges and a bigger screen for the environment and that’s it. The commander said “the purpose of this simulator is to build decision makers in the cockpit” with that I would say that for me lockon simulates a lot of what I’m interested in with regards to air combat.

I think if any sim was 100% realistic it would be quite boring and no one would want to play it, so you have to cut corners in some places just to make the sim playable.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Paralyzer, when will you get updated?

I miss your mafia like tactics online. :D

:) Hello Pilotasso.

Yes it's been a while since I have played this 'GAME'. I voted 'GAME' because it's supposed to be for fun right?

I have not flown for many months and decided to give it a try once more. I have FC and patch 1.12a but it's giving me a lot of problems. Random crashes, frozen screens, reboots but wait I guess that's normal for this game (waits to get jumped by the fanboys :) ).

I have reinstalled many times but the problem still persists! I miss flying online and dodging your missiles with the toilet paper smoke trail hehe. Maybe my 10th Lock On reinstall will fix it.

Peace!

s77banner9wh.jpg

Strange ... FC should -not- be giving you any trouble at all though. Is anything else giving you trouble?

Can you tell us what your GFX card and sound cards are?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I think if any sim was 100% realistic it would be quite boring and no one would want to play it, so you have to cut corners in some places just to make the sim playable.

If a sim was 100% realistic, then you'd be strapping yourself into the real jet and flying a real mission.:P

I can tell you from experience, even on long boring deployments, I've still had fun, despite the boring parts. Yes you will be bored during portions of the flight, but OVERALL it will still be a fun experience.

And, if you happened to engage some enemy aircraft while flying in that 100% realistic sim, I guarantee that you'd be thinking about that pretty cloud of blood, guts, and brains you'd make if you made a mistake. Boring? No way in hell - IF it's 100% realistic. :thumbup:

Oh, yeh... I voted - Game. If it was a sim, then I'd be able to use the same tactics I used IRL with the same results. Not in LOMAC. Nevertheless, I still have fun and enjoy the things I can enjoy without getting too frustrated with the things that - if fixed - would make this a tremendous SIM.

I have not flown for many months and decided to give it a try once more. I have FC and patch 1.12a but it's giving me a lot of problems. Random crashes, frozen screens, reboots but wait I guess that's normal for this game (waits to get jumped by the fanboys :) ).

I have reinstalled many times but the problem still persists! I miss flying online and dodging your missiles with the toilet paper smoke trail hehe. Maybe my 10th Lock On reinstall will fix it.

Peace!

I play on a laptop & haven't had that kind of experience. Besides GGT's thoughts, does this happen with other games or programs? Have you cleaned your Windows install recently? Is heat an issue with your setup? When's the last time you cleaned your case and fans? Are you overclocking?

Good luck troubleshooting. Hope you can get back in the air on a regular basis.