A "wounded pilot" effect

SharpeXB

For some reason this seems "gamey" for DCS to have some sorta blood splattered vision wounded effect like Call of Duty. And yet there should be some portrayal of being wounded in the sim, shouldn't there? Now the modern A2A scenario that just features pilots either blasted out of the sky by missiles. Maybe there's no need for wounding there. But WWII will feature close in air combat with weapons that aren't so immediately destructive. Plus the DCS planes all model armor protection I'm sure. But for what purpose if the pilot can't be wounded? The A-10 or Su-25 and such can all take punishment like that. In multiplayer you should get some credit for hits on the pilot.

So what about it? The blood splatter thing seems arcade like for DCS. Maybe there's another idea.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

IIRC, this other sim (that I read about in a magazine :) ) uses a partially slumped over pilot to indicate wounding. However, I have not seen this myself, so I can't bear witness to it's effectiveness.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

what about pilots who have broken hearts, or stubbed their toes, or just stopped believing in what they fighting for? - the point is it would be better to focus on modelling the mechanical systems.

Modelling a human being would be beyond the scope and ability of any developers I know.

what about pilots who have broken hearts, or stubbed their toes, or just stopped believing in what they fighting for? - the point is it would be better to focus on modelling the mechanical systems.

Modelling a human being would be beyond the scope and ability of any developers I know.

Seems to be a bit of a straw man. All he is asking for is a SIMPLE system that would allow pilots to be killed by rounds, explosions, etc by using a health system.

I think it's a cool idea.

We have the Black GLOC and Negative G Red screens already and hypoxia is also modeled in some aircraft - why not a wounded pilot?

If they could program the collision model so it could detect when the pilot area collided with a shell then you could put up the Negative G Red Screen and record some kind of scoring for the hit.

If it was really programmed well you could detect arm vs leg hits and effect the flight dynamics based on those wounds (no rudder for a leg hit, minimal stick control for an arm hit). I think a head shot would have to be an instant kill.

Something to consider once all the other more critical programming is done. I like any idea that adds to the realism of the sim even if it is years away from making it to the top of the programming list. :thumbup:

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

The pilot(s) can already be killed (Huey pilots know ;)). But it's not limited to the Huey, it just happens very often there, that you, or one of your crewmembers get killed. If you (the pilot) gets killed you can still continue as the co-pilot at least :)

Just yesterday I got killed in the P-51. It was an unlucky shot through the canopy. The plane itself continued flying for quite some time :D

I'm not quite sure though if it's just some planes, like the Huey and the WW2 planes where the pilot can die, or if it can happen in all DCS aircraft.

Wounding would be pretty cool. It's implemented in many other flight sims as well like Red Baron, IL2 and Rise of Flight and these are just games I play(ed). In those games it works like this: If you get wounded, the screen gets red from time to time. The more serious you're injured, the faster it flashes red. If you can't make it back to base in time you will bleed out and die.

I think it would be a nice feature for DCS as well :)

And it looks cool:

vdoa3t.jpg

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The pilot can already die, and I think that is plenty.

I don't think it's ever happened to me, didn't even know it was possible. I assume a single well placed round would kill a pilot in the SIM?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The pilot(s) can already be killed (Huey pilots know ;)). But it's not limited to the Huey, it just happens very often there, that you, or one of your crewmembers get killed. If you (the pilot) gets killed you can still continue as the co-pilot at least :)

Just yesterday I got killed in the P-51. It was an unlucky shot through the canopy. The plane itself continued flying for quite some time :D

I'm not quite sure though if it's just some planes, like the Huey and the WW2 planes where the pilot can die, or if it can happen in all DCS aircraft.

Wounding would be pretty cool. It's implemented in many other flight sims as well like Red Baron, IL2 and Rise of Flight and these are just games I play(ed). In those games it works like this: If you get wounded, the screen gets red from time to time. The more serious you're injured, the faster it flashes red. If you can't make it back to base in time you will bleed out and die.

I think it would be a nice feature for DCS as well :)

And it looks cool:

vdoa3t.jpg

Did you add the blood splatter to the canopy or did DCS do that? It looks excellent!

See it's easy to figure why Lock On or the old DCS didn't have that. The modern jet combat really only needs your plane all blown out of the sky or you eject. But WWII is a bit different.

It would be cool to have a real sim way of doing that effect, maybe your controls just become sluggish and you can bleed out. Plus the splatter on the canopy to let you know you've been hit and it's not a bug in the game. DCS is already excellent at modeling system damage. Well the pilot is a system too, right?

Landing your damaged plane while wounded in these sims is the best it gets too! Big fun factor there.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I remember that the first days I tried the A-10C, I was flying above enemy gunfire and all of a sudden I couldn't control the plane anymore and afterwards the view switch to 3rd person and the plne kept flying for a long time. I noticed a lot of bullet holes on the starboard side of my Hog nd there I realized that my pilot had been shot and died. I could confirm that in the log screen after exiting the map. I was greatly pleased that this feature was included!

However I don't remind seing blood splatters in the cockpit like that screenshot posted here

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

I think only the WWII planes and the Helios feature cockpit damage.

A2A have an "intelligent" passenger with their Piper Cub called Heidi. I must say that it adds an extra dimension as far as flight simming goes. After getting used to having someone chatting away and telling you "not to give up your day job because you're a hopeless pilot"etc, going back to an empty sim seems so sterile and like something is missing.

Having animated Medics working on keeping a wounded soldier alive in the helicopter would make Medevac missions have a much greater sense of urgency and realism. From the various forum threads, I think there is a strong possibility of seeing this at some stage in the future.

Last mission I did in the UH-1 UN Pilot Campaign, Pedro the sarcastic CO got himself shot and killed but he still managed to tell me with his last dying breath, what a bad shot I was and that I had better look at getting glasses!

Here's a couple of screenshots arriving back at the FARP after that fatal mission with the dead Pedro onboard. (a bit of claret splashed around would make him look more dead instead of just sleeping) :music_whistling:

2dbszv5.jpg

289vogl.jpg

Best Regards....Kev*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"

Did you add the blood splatter to the canopy or did DCS do that? It looks excellent!

That screenshot isn't mine ;)

I saw it in a thread here on the forums 1 or 2 years ago. I think it was a user made mod that provided this kind of effect. I wasn't able to find the thread again, but at least I was able to found the picture by using google picture search.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't think it's ever happened to me, didn't even know it was possible. I assume a single well placed round would kill a pilot in the SIM?

Yeah, the pilots of all the moduls can be killed, it just happens not very often in most of the modules.

The helos are another story though, small arms fire can get your crew memebers killed quit easily. Even got both pilots in the Huey killed, while the door gunners stayed alive. Watched the helicopter fly circles from the door gunners position for the next 30 minutes until it ran out of fuel...

While I can't remember my A-10 pilot getting killed by gunfire, I took him out a couple of times by crashing into the tanker while airial refuelling. :joystick:

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I think the A-10 is the one aircraft where you pilot is least likely to get killed :thumbup:

The MiG-15 has sort of a "wounded pilot effect" (it's the de-pressurization effect) when a shot hits your cockpit the screen blurs, you lose color vision and the pilots ears ring.

The effect only lasts for a little bit but it's still an amazing future that I would love to have on other aircraft like the ww2 birds or the choppers. (Someone should record a video of that because it's awesome :) )

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)