Brand new newbie question...

Mike77

This is my first post, so I hope I've posted this in the right place.

I just downloaded DCS World 1.5 Open Beta a couple days ago. Have it installed and running well.

I've been reading the manuals and flying the Su-25T using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. Very impressed; absolutely amazing! I'll be buying the A-10C as soon as I can swing it :)

On one flight, over a densely populated area (a lot of objects), I saw what looked like a nuclear power plant cooling tower. But I was pretty overwhelmed at the time so I can't remember where it was.

I used the F10 map to look around, but I'm not sure if there's another way I should be looking. Or another way to see details like the cooling tower. I checked the encyclopedia too but didn't find it.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Edited by Mike77
  • Like 1

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.

Welcome to the forums!

Well I don't know of any orthodox ways to do what you want... but there is one thing that might work for you. If you know the approximate area (or if you just want to search) you can take the airfield camera - F11 - and "fly" it around the map. It's much more precise and controllable than trying to use one of the aircraft to move around.

Choose the closest airfield, (Pressing F11 multiple times cycles through the airfields) then you use the mouse to control the camera and the mousewheel to "drive" it around.

PS: There are a bunch of cool "monuments" around the map. I think there is a thread around here that has details and locations for most or all of them. One of my favorites is a Soccer(Football) or maybe Rugby? stadium in one of the big cities. :)

Edited by Ultra
  • Like 1

Thank you Ultra! That sounds like a great way to look around for it. I didn't know about the F11 cam and that technique for looking around. Very cool.

If I find it, I'll post back here.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. System specs: Windows 7 Pro, EVGA X58 3x classified 3 MOBO, i7 960 @3.2Ghz, 24Gb Ram, Nvidia EVGA GTX 780ti with 3 Gb VRAM.

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

Windows 11.

Just thought of something else.

I saved tracks for a few of my flights. I'll go back through them and see if the cooling tower shows up in any of those... may just get lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. System specs: Windows 7 Pro, EVGA X58 3x classified 3 MOBO, i7 960 @3.2Ghz, 24Gb Ram, Nvidia EVGA GTX 780ti with 3 Gb VRAM.

Windows 11.

Ahh yes, that should work. Good luck. Also a tip for new people (in case you don't know): unless you really can't wait to get an aircraft, you should always wait for DCS's seasonal sales. They discount everything but the newest modules, and they're older modules are heavily discounted.

• Like 1

Well I don't know of any orthodox ways to do what you want...

Here's one: Google for it and/or use Google Maps (or any other search/map engine). Chances are if the object in question hasn't just been built within the last few years, it'll be on the DCS Caucasus map. :)

(Possibly not an exact replication of the object, but something that looks roughly alike and is positioned in roughly the right place).

PS: There are a bunch of cool "monuments" around the map. I think there is a thread around here that has details and locations for most or all of them. One of my favorites is a Soccer(Football) or maybe Rugby? stadium in one of the big cities. :)

If anyone has a link to that thread, I'd be mighty interested! :)

Here's one from the old pre-DCS days when the map was focused on the Crimean Peninsula (I wasn't into LOMAC/Flaming Cliffs at the time and never witnessed it first hand, but this video is pure gold!):

The Crimean Tour: Taking in the Sights

Regarding stadiums, I'm pretty sure there's one in Novorossiysk near the airport and one in Tskhinvali at the eastern side of the town, and I'm sure there are more.

(Interestingly enough, on Google maps I couldn't find a stadium in Novorrosiysk and I couldn't even find the bloody airport there, either, whereas the one nearby in Gelendzhik is impossible to miss.)

Brand new newbie question...

Thank for the heads up, Ultra! I have to save up some money, so that will work out well.

I really love the A10; I live close to G.L Martin State Airport and get to watch the National Guard fly them quite often. So the A-10C and a HOTAS are on my buy list. And when the big sale hits, I'll check out other titles as well.

Good stuff!

Edited by Mike77

Windows 11.

Here's one: Google for it and/or use Google Maps (or any other search/map engine). Chances are if the object in question hasn't just been built within the last few years, it'll be on the DCS Caucasus map. :)

(Possibly not an exact replication of the object, but something that looks roughly alike and is positioned in roughly the right place).

If anyone has a link to that thread, I'd be mighty interested! :)

Haha, I feel like I should have thought of that! Good suggestion. I'll look around for that thread tomorrow, but I think it might turn into one of those 'needle in a haystack' searches.

Thanks Yurgon. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't realize the battlefields were based on real places. I've been overwhelmed at all the cool stuff in the sim... and I'm just using the freebie Su-25T!!!! Can't imagine what it'll be like when I start flying the A-10c :)

I'm also really impressed with yooze guys here on the Forum. What a valuable resource! When I did the install, I hit a few snags. Did some searches here and got things sorted out very quickly.

I'm still really stunned by how cool the sim is. Just amazing

Windows 11.

I'll look around for that thread tomorrow, but I think it might turn into one of those 'needle in a haystack' searches.

No worries. Maybe someone has it bookmarked or knows exactly where to look for it, so I'm just hoping such a person will post the link. :)

I was afraid it was going to take me forever to find that Crimean Peninsula tour video that I immediately remembered when reading this thread, but luckily my search engine of choice turned the fragments I entered into a usable result without much hassle. :)

I've been overwhelmed at all the cool stuff in the sim... and I'm just using the freebie Su-25T!!!! Can't imagine what it'll be like when I start flying the A-10c :)

Well it is overwhelming, taking in all this new stuff. You're in for quite a ride. ;)

I've flown the A-10C since Beta and I can't stress this enough, I still learn new stuff with almost every flight. The systems modeling is so deep, it's crazy. The Hog is very easy to fly, but learning all the systems and weapons and how to use them and how to use them quickly and how to make decisions based on the situation on the ground and in the air and how to make the best possible use of it all... is still overwhelming sometimes (especially when those morons I fly with decide I should fly lead (which is why they're morons :D)).

I guess the best advice is to take one step at a time, take small steps, get good at them, and then advance to the next topic. And while it may look like dry reading, the manual is really quite a good and important read!

Might I also suggest a Track IR as a followup purchase? If you are planning on being serious with your simming, after the HOTAS it's probably the single most important peripheral you can get for this or any other sim.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I guess this is sort of what I was looking for:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95431&highlight=sightseeing

It has links to 2 missions a member set up just for sightseeing. Of course I doubt they would run correctly since they are older, but you could probably open the missions in Mission Editor and find where the waypoints are on the map. Then you could check out the locations for yourself if you're interested.

I guess this is sort of what I was looking for:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95431&highlight=sightseeing

It has links to 2 missions a member set up just for sightseeing. Of course I doubt they would run correctly since they are older, but you could probably open the missions in Mission Editor and find where the waypoints are on the map. Then you could check out the locations for yourself if you're interested.

Hey, thanks for digging that up. :)

Maybe worth a try, but the info seems rather outdated because as I recall the map has been expanded to cover all of Georgia and parts of south-west Russia in the meantime, so neither tour includes any of those sites.

I also wasn't able to open the mission file in DCS World, I guess the mission file format has changed in the meantime.

I guess we should just watch the awesome video from the old Crimean Tour then. :)

Maybe worth a try, but the info seems rather outdated because as I recall the map has been expanded to cover all of Georgia and parts of south-west Russia in the meantime, so neither tour includes any of those sites.

I also wasn't able to open the mission file in DCS World, I guess the mission file format has changed in the meantime.

Bummer, but at least we have the video. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other sightseeing videos out there as well...

Might I also suggest a Track IR as a followup purchase? If you are planning on being serious with your simming, after the HOTAS it's probably the single most important peripheral you can get for this or any other sim.

Definitely! It's on the short list for sure. I'm really looking forward to DCS with the added goodies.

Windows 11.

Thank for the heads up, Ultra! I have to save up some money, so that will work out well.

I really love the A10; I live close to G.L Martin State Airport and get to watch the National Guard fly them quite often. So the A-10C and a HOTAS are on my buy list. And when the big sale hits, I'll check out other titles as well.

Good stuff!

A good HOTAS is a must. You can probably "get by" with any decent HOTAS stick and throttle, but I never fully grasped the capability of the A10C until I go the Thrustmaster Warthog. That stick and throttle just can't be beat. If you can't swing that and end up with CH or a Saitek my suggestion would be to mirror the controls as close as you can to the Warthog so that when you are watching YouTube training videos, you'll be able to follow along easily.

Other than that, if you want to fly this simulator you really need pedals and tracker. IMO it is next to impossible to fly without them.

• Like 1

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

A good HOTAS is a must. You can probably "get by" with any decent HOTAS stick and throttle, but I never fully grasped the capability of the A10C until I go the Thrustmaster Warthog. That stick and throttle just can't be beat. If you can't swing that and end up with CH or a Saitek my suggestion would be to mirror the controls as close as you can to the Warthog so that when you are watching YouTube training videos, you'll be able to follow along easily.

Other than that, if you want to fly this simulator you really need pedals and tracker. IMO it is next to impossible to fly without them.

Thank you for the input; so much to learn so I definitely appreciate it.

I will save up for the Thrustmaster Warthog. Even if it takes a while.

I have rudder pedals now; from my X-Plane 10 setup. They are the Saitek Pro Flight Cessna and have done a good job so far.

I am so excited about upgrading my setup with the A-10C and other goodies. Really looking forward to each thing I can add.

Thanks again for the advice!

Mike

Windows 11.

Found it!

I used the technique that Ultra suggested in post #2 above. By using the F11 camera and mousing around a bunch, I found two of the "cooling towers" that I was looking for. I'll try to attach pics here.

To recap, I had seen one of these cooling towers out of the corner of my eye as it flashed by during a high speed pass :) When I thought about it later, I had no idea where I had been as I am brand new to the sim. I went back and viewed some of the tracks I had saved but no luck. So I started this thread.

Thanks again Ultra!

Screen_151021_201527.thumb.jpg.18f54d6a3b74359412f3addb7b2b17b0.jpg

Screen_151022_001813.thumb.jpg.b276e4fe8fefdaf4d2c579cf588f2604.jpg

Windows 11.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick follow-up:

My daughter got me a TrackIR 5 for Christmas. Definitely a must have. I'm amazed at how much it adds to the experience. After using it, can't imagine getting by without it:)

Still saving up for the TM Warthog HOTAS :thumbup:

Also, I have the A-10C now and I'm loving it! Fascinating!

Mike

Windows 11.

I live close to G.L Martin State Airport and get to watch the National Guard fly them quite often.

That is awesome! I work there and my office overlooks the airfield. The A-10s and the other random visiting aircraft are always the highlight of the day on our office. Nice to find another MD/Baltimore area sim'er as I am new to DCS as well.

Cheers!

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

That is awesome! I work there and my office overlooks the airfield. The A-10s and the other random visiting aircraft are always the highlight of the day on our office. Nice to find another MD/Baltimore area sim'er as I am new to DCS as well.

Cheers!

Oh man! I'm totally jealous:D That is SO cool!

I'm 57 now, have spent a lot of time around that area. When I was growing up, until about 10 years old, I had relatives that lived around the corner on Wilson Point Road. And, years ago, my Dad worked in the big Martin Marietta building across the street. Now, I hang out at the little Post Office to watch planes takeoff and land:)

It's great living close to the Airport. From the Costco/Home Depot plaza on Rt40, I usually see A10s flying over a couple times a week. And I live in the Overlea area, so I've seen Hogs flying over my house a few times.

I was talking to my Dad last week about checking out the Museum on the Airport property. Neither of us has seen it so I think it would be a great way to spend an afternoon.

Thanks for checking in! I appreciate it.

All The Best,

Mike

Windows 11.