Incockpit Spectator Mode

TomOnSteam

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should have explained it more. The idea came to me as I was trying to talk someone through a start up sequence but the engines would not start. It occurred to me that it that if I was able to see his cockpit view I would be able to watch and make sure he was flipping the right switches etc.

So from a training point of view it would be fantastic.

Spectating from the cockpit view for dog fights and such would also be a good way to learn from the best.

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

great idea!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

it's my private life, don't want someone to see me in cockpit :D

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Now here is an award-winning idea! :D

+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10

AFAIK this was never implemented in older sims due to the insane amount of traffic it would generate.

Still a good idea though

I can see other players moving their heads, sticks, throttle and rudder pedals in an online game now. This kind of data transfer is also required for cockpit sharing, such as L-39. It's possible I think.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AFAIK this was never implemented in older sims due to the insane amount of traffic it would generate.

Still a good idea though

That's possible yeah - but I guess certain things wouldn't need to be high priority - like flipping switches, if there is a 2 second delay, no big deal. But perhaps things like MFD's would be too much for a network, I'm not sure. Then again, perhaps MFD's don't need to go across the network, it could use the local data, same as if it was your own cockpit.

Now that I think about it, it would have to load each cockpit of each different aircraft make/model into memory, so if it is one of those servers with every single module, then that might hog a lot of memory on your PC, but then again I'm sure a lot of DCS PC's are well up to the task.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

That's possible yeah - but I guess certain things wouldn't need to be high priority - like flipping switches, if there is a 2 second delay, no big deal. But perhaps things like MFD's would be too much for a network, I'm not sure. Then again, perhaps MFD's don't need to go across the network, it could use the local data, same as if it was your own cockpit.

Now that I think about it, it would have to load each cockpit of each different aircraft make/model into memory, so if it is one of those servers with every single module, then that might hog a lot of memory on your PC, but then again I'm sure a lot of DCS PC's are well up to the task.

2 seconds delay could be catastrophic. It would make weapon launching out of sync, make people shoot missiles seemingly from impossible angles and seemingly without proper lock.

For a startup procedure it wouldn't matter, but in combat it does.

I think the main problem is lack of data (in example, trying to watch the cockpit of someone in an A10C when you do not own the module, and thus are in fact missing the appropriate A10C cockpit files). This is likely also one of the main reasons why this has not been done already, as it creates a huge data protection headache (people would likey be able to pirate modules more easily if all the cockpit data was present for all aircrafts in the sim in order to make incockpit spectating happen).

This could be alleviated by simply popping up with a message when someone attempts to view the cockpit of a module they do not yet own. As the data rendering for MFDS and so on can be carried out natively, there shouldn't be any slowdowns/delays: it would simply copy button presses & HOTAS movements in the same way that replaying a track file does. Just in real time for a different user.

It should be doable in my opinion, but much on this depends on the current coding structure & the way data export is handled in the simulator at the moment. It's a fantastic idea and I hope it will be introduced into DCS soon.

Great idea! Someone deserves some rep for that :thumbup: With a little more fixing, adding this would be great for training and teaching purposes!

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I think the main problem is lack of data (in example, trying to watch the cockpit of someone in an A10C when you do not own the module, and thus are in fact missing the appropriate A10C cockpit files). This is likely also one of the main reasons why this has not been done already, as it creates a huge data protection headache (people would likey be able to pirate modules more easily if all the cockpit data was present for all aircrafts in the sim in order to make incockpit spectating happen).

I'm not actually sure about this, since you can download any module on the DCS store easily - for instance, the A-10C can be downloaded directly from its product page: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/modules/dcs_a10c_warthog/

The problem would indeed be activation.

The idea of being able to spectate a player in the cockpit is pretty interesting, though, and I also had some difficulties guiding a friend during a startup sequence.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
As the title says.

Spectating view from inside someone else's cockpit.

The online MP WWII air combat game/sim "Aces High" had this option a few years ago when I played it. You can actually sit in the teachers lap, in his cockpit, though you or him are not actually visible. This sim is a little bit arcade compared to DCS.

We communicated in real time using TeamSpeak.

Aces High

=======

http://www.hitechcreations.com/

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]