Weapon Sight position on Mi-8

Is the reflector sight position fixed or am I missing how to get it lower? Seems strange and unergonomic to have to get half out of your seat to view the pipper. In the real helicopter you would have to release your harness in order to aim if the sight is in this fixed position. Also the grenade launchers seem almost impossible to get a burst on the target with any consistency. Guns and rockets I can see an improvement each time I do the target practise mission, but the grenades seem like I may have to ask for some kind of Divine Intervention to get them on target once in a blue moon. :helpsmilie:

Best Regards....Kev*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"

I just reread the manual and yes it is fixed like you say. I also have TIR but I'm just using the clip so I don't have to use headphones, and it's not as responsive in the vertical plane. The manual states that the pilot has to raise his seat to use the sight so I guess I'll have a look for the keys to do that.:thumbup:

Best Regards....Kev*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have this picture of an Mi-8 pilot standing on his seat peering through his sight as the helicopter hurtles towards the target. Ride of the Valkyries blasts out of the PA system, and his silk scarf flaps in the slipstream. Much better image than just jacking up his seat, don't you think?

I can see Hollywood picking this one up and running with it. What a hero he will look - unless he is just 5ft tall of course, in which case the dramatic effect would be lost completely as he'd be jumping up and down, spoiling it totally!

• Thanks 1

I also have TIR but I'm just using the clip so I don't have to use headphones, and it's not as responsive in the vertical plane.

You can shift the appropriate axis a little bit up in the TIR software (see the picture)

412761302_Shiftthecurveup.jpg.7a57873aa0cf367ef027bd9bf4a401e9.jpg

I have this picture of an Mi-8 pilot standing on his seat peering through his sight as the helicopter hurtles towards the target. Ride of the Valkyries blasts out of the PA system, and his silk scarf flaps in the slipstream. Much better image than just jacking up his seat, don't you think?

I can see Hollywood picking this one up and running with it. What a hero he will look - unless he is just 5ft tall of course, in which case the dramatic effect would be lost completely as he'd be jumping up and down, spoiling it totally!

That maybe why there are three drivers up front plus an autopilot....so the boss fella can stand on the seat and line up the guns!

On a serious note, I've been watching a few doco's on the Mi-8 and have come to appreciate what a incredibly reliable and versatile machine the Mi-8 is. :thumbup:

EDIT: Although I had a chuckle when the old pilots commented about how bamboozled they were with the myriad of knobs and switches on the overhead panel when they first took delivery of the Hip! Having problems teaching old dogs new tricks, they were happy to say that the new pups in training were soon on top of the situation and taking it in their stride! I feel the old pilots pain! its quite daunting pressing F1 for the first time and panning around the cockpit!

Edited by kevinsue

Best Regards....Kev*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can shift the appropriate axis a little bit up in the TIR software (see the picture)

Thanks for that. If I can't find a button for standing up on the seat, I'll definitely take your advice and alter the profile although it works well for me at the moment except for trying to look through the gunsight.

Edited by kevinsue

Best Regards....Kev*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One way I found before I tweaked the profile, disable track IR and centre view with numpad 5 then move up slightly with numpad 8. This is good for aiming but obviously hinders when you break out of your attack run till you re-enable track IR:)

When I say disable I mean take your hat off. I don't know if pause works for the above

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All sorted!:) I just deleted the cyclic keypresses and used the arrow keys for the camera up, down, left and right. Now I can just give the up arrow key a couple of taps to centre the pipper and TrackIR works great. After the attack is over I just press Numpad 5 to return the view to standard. Works just as good as stashing a few Vodka bottles under the seat cushion to raise the height! :D

EDIT: For those that may be unaware...you can completely remove any reference to the default function keypresses, e.g F9 Pause, F12 Recentre etc in the TrackIR 5.2 software and assign those functions directly to a button on your joystick/throttle. Saves any conflict with the Communication and Views keys and takes about 2 seconds to do.

Edited by kevinsue

Best Regards....Kev*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]