Something VERY strange going on with Track/Recording

Kamov Akula

Hi all, I just noticed something very weird with the track/recording feature that may be something or nothing at all.

First to quickly bring you up to speed about me, I have been playing DCS casually for a few years now from the first Black Shark years, but I have never really paid much attention to the nitty gritty of things like the Editor or Track features. Recently with the excitement surrounding the upcoming 2.0 I started to get into it a bit more, and also just bought FC3 after only ever having played BS in the past. So what I'm about to point out may be something very stupid on my part or a long known issue, if so my appologies;

To try to keep it short, basically last night after an epic AI mission on my newly acquired FC3 I decided to save the track of that game for the first time. This morning when I opened that track to view it, at first everything looked just like how I played it last night. I remembered the game pretty well down to the details, even how at the start my Su27 started to Yaw continuously as I put it onto Enroute Autopilot, because I made a mental note to check on the cause of that at the time. The Track Recording followed what I remembered of last night's game pretty well until after the 3rd turning point, when suddenly the Su27 I was supposed to have been flying just started to do stuff I have no recollection of and it eventually got shot down. I cannot say exactly at what point it stopped being the recording of last night's game and became something else but that's what happened.

It's as if it started off as my recording then was taken over by an AI or another player...

Then later today something else happened related to the Track;

At the end of the 3rd mission in the MiG-29 campaign "Over the Hump" included in FC3, I decided to watch the track over again because I wanted to see how my AI wingman died. When I clicked to watch it, something "started" but it just cut off after a minute or two into the replay. I tried a couple times but the replay would just cut off at the same spot and would not progress any further.

THEN, when I looked at the Campaign progress, what had been 3 missions completed at 100% rate had now become 4 missions complete at 88% rate, as if my trying to replay that Track had been added on to the mission somehow.

So anyway, its been bugging me all evening and I thought I would try to explain this the best I can. I have no idea if it's a bug or something stupid I'm doing or overlooking....

Tracks have been quite broken for a long time in DCS.

This isn't a 1.5 specific issue, I think anybody who has watched back tracks a lot has seen this kind of thing happen. If you fast-forward through the track this will tend to make things worse. The fastest I go is 2x speed and things seem to stay pretty true to life at that speed.

I would say that I have seen slightly more track weirdness in 1.5 but not a big difference to 1.2

Cheers

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The Track Recording followed what I remembered of last night's game pretty well until after the 3rd turning point, when suddenly the Su27 I was supposed to have been flying just started to do stuff I have no recollection of and it eventually got shot down.

Unfortunately, that's more or less normal. :(

A track is basically a playback of every action that took place in the mission. Each input, each little bit of stick and throttle adjustment gets recorded into track files and is simply "replayed" into DCS during playback.

However, when the recording failed to fetch every last bit, things will go south sooner or later and the playback will become totally out of sync.

Sometimes tracks veer off after a few seconds, sometimes hour-long tracks play back fine, and sometimes a change to the DCS engine (flight model, AI logic, you name it) completely breaks playback of all older tracks.

I'd hoped 1.5 would address the issue, but what you describe sounds like the same old problem we've always had with track playback.

Edit: :gun_sniper: Sniped

THEN, when I looked at the Campaign progress, what had been 3 missions completed at 100% rate had now become 4 missions complete at 88% rate, as if my trying to replay that Track had been added on to the mission somehow.

That is new (to me), hopefully this will be addressed soon.

For me, this is the most annoying thing about dcs. I like to watch tracks back for demos or formation flying and it is just not possible. Something always seems to go wrong. There really is nothing to do to fix. When is ED/DCS going to freaking fix this!?!?!?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]On A Wing & A Prayer - In Memory of my Father who was my instructor, pilot, and co-pilot

NZXT H440 Blue | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7-4790k | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 OC | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 | Corsair H100i | Corsair HX750i | Saitek X-55 Rhino | Saitek Pro Flight Pedals | Track IR 5 w/ Proclip

• 1 year later...

I also use watch/replay to see what I did wrong or right, but today it is impossible due to the off sync problem. Now I have to record flights with GeForce Experience... But that don't give me the opportunity to change camera angels as replay/watch can do....

Sadly nothing seems to happen to fix the issue, it only geting worse every build. :helpsmilie:

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

If it havet an impact on score/logbook it is not good! I did not think of that before.

So a fix of this is really urgent.

Hope any from DCS reads this!

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

Sadly there was no fix in the latest patch... :helpsmilie:

I am using Tacview to, but you don't have the options to see how good or bad you landed!

Using "watch/replay" is the best if you wanna study how you fly and make nice videos of it :joystick: