• Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight
    • SU-27
    • UH-1H Huey
    • MIG-21bis
    • Fw 190 D-9 Dora
    • Hawk T.1A
    • other (post note)

@sthompson,

First of all, thanks for your response....appreciate your suggestions on working with all 3 programs together; it clarified some of the confusion. I haven't gone extensively into the MS Voice Recognition to fine tune that (or add words) but I did get more success by simply going through the Hollywood's VAICOM User Manual COMMANDS REFERENCE section and reading all those words and phrases out loud with VA and VAICOM running. It was even more beneficial and entertaining by having the Chatter On/Off and repeating a lot of that dialog.

At least I know that VAICOM is working as it responds to 'Voice Test, Chatter, Wilco, Roger, Negative...etc.'.

In DCS, I got Engine Start, Taxi and Takeoff Clearance working after going back through this thread and realizing I was NOT holding the MIC key long enough. We're moving forward !!!!

I'm still considering going back to basic Keyboard Comms and tearing out everything. But only to put it back together and document the whole process again. I note the last paragraph of your post where you strongly suggest 'clean install of VAICOM and then test it using the default keys. Do not try mapping to HOTAS until you get it working from the keyboard.' I fully understand and agree but I'm not sure how to do that now. I don't use my keyboard at all in game since I have the Orbweaver mapped for virtually all keyboard activity, and I have always had the Throttle MIC Switch set for COMMS across all channels.

But I'm still at a loss over what happened to my TM HOTAS Throttle TGP slew...it isn't doing anything. I get no response from it now. It seems something new is interfering with that. That's still more important to me as I fly solo and want to Pound Ground!!! Any clues what may have happened there or where I should start looking?

EDIT: Here's a clue on the Slew issue although I'm not sure what it means. I cannot slew left,right,up,down BUT if I hold that slew button down in center position it does go down (ONLY). It's appears it is only acting as a button right now and that only began when I introduced VA/VAICOM.

Again, I appreciate your help & suggestions

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy
clarification

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a profile for F-5 by any chance? Also how does VAICOM integrates/co-exists with other DCS radio tools (Teamspeak and Simple Radio) - I know these are not directly related to each other, but figured it is still worth asking.

AvgWhiteGuy - have you tried TM calibration tool? Here is the link TM gave me:

https://cloud.guillemot.fr/index.php/s/JDwsp9Q72AfKqWd

Password: 12345

I haven't seen one for F-5. Ideally in the long run VAICOM would be made more modular so that it would be easier to add new aircraft than at present.

I use VAICOM and Teamspeak and SRS all at once on MP. Works fine once you work out the various PTT settings. (I use a different PTT for each.) And you have to remember that VAICOM is for talking to the AI, while the others are talking to other humans.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

@sthompson,

I'm still considering going back to basic Keyboard Comms and tearing out everything. But only to put it back together and document the whole process again. I note the last paragraph of your post where you strongly suggest 'clean install of VAICOM and then test it using the default keys. Do not try mapping to HOTAS until you get it working from the keyboard.' I fully understand and agree but I'm not sure how to do that now. ...

But I'm still at a loss over what happened to my TM HOTAS Throttle TGP slew...it isn't doing anything. I get no response from it now. It seems something new is interfering with that. That's still more important to me as I fly solo and want to Pound Ground!!! Any clues what may have happened there or where I should start looking?

EDIT: Here's a clue on the Slew issue although I'm not sure what it means. I cannot slew left,right,up,down BUT if I hold that slew button down in center position it does go down (ONLY). It's appears it is only acting as a button right now and that only began when I introduced VA/VAICOM.

Again, I appreciate your help & suggestions

Operating VAICOM from the keyboard: I gather you are using the A-10C module. That module by default uses Num0, Num1, Num2 and Num3 as PTT keys, depending on which radio you want to use. (Num0 tries to send on all three radios at once.) After a clean install and before making any customization changes to the VAICOM commands you should be able to interact with VAICOM using these keyboard keys.

A clean install in my mind means uninstalling VA and deleting its folder. Then reinstall VA, reinstall VAICOM from original files, then import the appropriate VAICOM profile.

Fixing your slew issue: You haven't been very specific about what you did or how it is supposed to work. As a start on diagnosis I would (a) uninstall VA and delete the VA folders completely. See if that fixes the slew. If it does then (b) reinstall VA but not VAICOM, run VA, and see if the slew still works. If it does, © reinstall a clean copy of VAICOM and import the A10C module but don't make any other changes. Does slew still work? The answers will be informative about where the problem is coming from. It would also be helpful to know how the slew function is programmed in your stick. I don't have a TM but my CH stick can output key codes (or sequences of keycodes), DirectX button codes, or DirectX axis data. What does yours output when you use the slew function? Is DCS seeing the appropriate slew commands in the DCS Controls menu?

BTW, while there probably could be valuable updates made to the documentation I don't think there will ever be a "one size fits all" instruction manual or video. There are too many system and software variables potentially in play.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

avgwhiteguy - are you sure your slew is working correctly, as in does it work with other games or in Windows Game controller settings? Just asking cos my slew axis stopped working a good while ago (after an electrical spike destroyed most of my controllers) but the button still works. I'm currently waiting for the replacement pcb in the right throttle grip as the replacement slew switch wasn't the issue. Stopped me flying the A-10C since.

Edited by mr_mojo97

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Adding Nevada tower call signs to VAICOM

Hi. I've created a little profile with just one command that adds the call signs for Nevada ATC towers to VAICOM 2.0. This assumes you are running 2.0.5 of DCS World, and have the updated version of Whartsell's Static ATC Mod that I created to work with 1.5.6 and 2.0.5. To install:

1. Make sure you have the updates to Static ATC Mod by Whartsell that I posted here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3094226#post3094226

2. Download attached file, unzip it, and copy the vap file to your VAICOM profile directory. (Subdirectory of VoiceAttack)

3. Fire up VoiceAttack and activate your favorite VAICOM profile.

4. Open the profile editor.

5. Choose "Import Commands" and select the downloaded profile file.

6. Make sure the "Indian Springs ..." command is selected and click "Import."

7. Click "Done"

The command associates the call signs for 8 towers currently supporting radio comms in 2.0.5 Nevada map with the respective entries generated by the static ATC mod from the map. This let's you, for example, call "Dreamland, Inbound" for a call to the Groom Lake tower, or "Indian Springs, vector" for a call to Creech. The command supports the call signs for the 8 fields I identified in post http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3099732#post3099732.

Edit as of 2017-05-18: Replaced the attachment to correct a very small bug when the call is "Nellis."

VAICOM 2.0 Nevada 2.0.5 Towers-Profile.vap.zip

Edited by sthompson
correct error

Always calling nearest airbase?

Hi All,

I've recently installed VA and vaicom2.0. I'm using the a10c module with dcs downloaded from steam.. I'm having issues with calling airbases (airports?). I have the TM warthog.

I use the freeflight mission starting in the air. To start the mission I say mission start, and my mission starts no prob. Then I say batumi, hawg11 inbound (the log shows that all this is recognized with no errors.) In game I see Kholki, hawg11, inbound.

I've tried to do "batumi select" (doesnt always work) and "batumi atc select" with no errors, then "batumi, hawg11, inbound" and it still comes back Kholki, hawg11.....

Ive tried it from the training mission and it would pick a different base. Only when I get close to batumi does it work.

Do I have to set the radio freq manually? I thought you didn't have to with vaicom 2.0

Apologies if this was asked before. I did do a search which came up with this thread that had 69 pages....

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Much appreciated.

Hi All,

I use the freeflight mission starting in the air. To start the mission I say mission start, and my mission starts no prob. Then I say batumi, hawg11 inbound (the log shows that all this is recognized with no errors.) In game I see Kholki, hawg11, inbound.

I've tried to do "batumi select" (doesnt always work) and "batumi atc select" with no errors, then "batumi, hawg11, inbound" and it still comes back Kholki, hawg11.....

Ive tried it from the training mission and it would pick a different base. Only when I get close to batumi does it work.

Do I have to set the radio freq manually? I thought you didn't have to with vaicom 2.0

VAICOM is just a tool for manipulating the comms menu system that is used to interact with the AI. If you are getting "Kholki, hawg11, inbound" back when you specified Batumi instead, then it means that VAICOM is "pushing" the wrong function keys. The default is to always call the closest field unless a different one has been specifically set using the "select" command. This is true even if you specify an airfield name in the command. So a call "Batumi, hawg11, inbound" will still be converted to a call to Kholki if Kholki is closer and you have not successfully run the "Batumi, select" command.

So your symptoms are consistent with the "select" command not working. I have two pieces of advice: (1) Make sure that you have a significant pause between the name of the airfield and the command. You want it to be long enough so that they do NOT appear on the same line of the log file. This is needed to make sure that the "Batumi" part of the command gets processed before the "Select" or "Inbound" part. Two or three second pause is more than enough in my experience. So make it "Batumi . . . . . Select." And the inbound command should be "Batumi . . . . . Hawg11, Inbound." (2) Make sure you keep the PTT key pressed until you hear the confirmation beep. Letting it up too soon will cancel all pending commands! If you don't hear the beep then the command didn't work, even if there are no errors in the log.

As for tuning the radio. If your radio is not tuned correctly or you use the wrong radio then the symptom is that you get no reply. That is a different problem from calling the wrong airport in the first place, which is what you are experiencing. If you have easy comms turned on then DCS (not VAICOM) will tune the radio. VAICOM never tunes the radio. It doesn't know how!

Hi All,

I've recently installed VA and vaicom2.0. I'm using the a10c module with dcs downloaded from steam.. I'm having issues with calling airbases (airports?). I have the TM warthog.

Apologies if this was asked before. I did do a search which came up with this thread that had 69 pages....

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Much appreciated.

just a question, as I saw your install list. Did you install the static ATC mod so that airports are always listed in the same order?

You mention that it seems to "correct" itself as you get closer to the airport. This would appear to be a symptom if I'm not wrong...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Sthompson thank you for the great explanation and advise. I will check to ensure the select command is functioning correctly then.

dhevans79, good point and thank you as well. As far as I know I did install the static atc mod but it is worth a check to ensure I did it correctly.

Both of you, your time and reply is greatly appreciated.

VAICOM roadmap

Hi everyone,

Good to read the recent exchanges on the thread. I’ve been away for a bit but I’ll do some catching up in the coming days.

If you have issues or ideas you want to discuss with me feel free send a PM at any time and I’ll try to answer asap.

Also I will provide an update here shortly on what’s in the pipeline for the future of VAICOM.

I’ve started work on C#/.NET and lua programming towards what promises to become an advanced next-gen version (working title VAICOM 2.5) with new additional options, simplified setup, and an even richer virtual flying experience with DCS for beginners and (VR) power users alike.

All this is still a while away but I thought it would be good to keep you posted.

So stay tuned! :thumbup:

Thanks

Hollywood

Edited by Hollywood_315

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using JSGME, Voice attack and the A10c for a good while. I'm confident I installed everything properly. I even got the fix for the ATC mod.

I followed the instructions in the manual to the letter but I can not get this running in the update that was just released for DCS 2.0.

I can't even get menus to show up with the ATC mod by pressing the easy radio button without using voice attack with the ATC mod and fix.

Can someone confirm or deny the status of it. If it is working or not. I'm looking forward to VAICOM 2.5 as mentioned above.

Edited by Oscar Juliet

I assume you are referring to the update to DCS 2.1.0 since that is the update that was just released. I can confirm that the static ATC mod is not working in DCS 2.1 Nevada, and that it completely kills the AI menu system. (It does work properly in 2.1 Normandy, however.) I'll look into this when I get a chance.

I've been using JSGME, Voice attack and the A10c for a good while. I'm confident I installed everything properly. I even got the fix for the ATC mod.

I followed the instructions in the manual to the letter but I can not get this running in the update that was just released for DCS 2.0.

I can't even get menus to show up with the ATC mod by pressing the easy radio button without using voice attack with the ATC mod and fix.

Can someone confirm or deny the status of it. If it is working or not. I'm looking forward to VAICOM 2.5 as mentioned above.

I assume you are referring to the update to DCS 2.1.0 since that is the update that was just released. I can confirm that the static ATC mod is not working in DCS 2.1 Nevada, and that it completely kills the AI menu system. (It does work properly in 2.1 Normandy, however.) I'll look into this when I get a chance.

Yes I was and thank you.

Thank god, thought I was going crazy tonight!!!

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Update to static ATC menu mod compatible with 2.1 Normandy and Nevada now available

The title says it all. See post https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3155965&postcount=46 for details and the updated files.

sthompson (I go by "Softball in MP). :smilewink:

O.J. I was using it last night on both Nevada and Normandy after the 2.1 Update 1 installed without any problems so I'm not sure why you are having a different experience. I will be traveling for a while and so cannot help out immediately. But if you report some specifics about your installation and experience I can try to offer some help when I return. The "still broken" feedback is too vague for me to take any action.

Yes it does say that and with that it is still broken.

The change from DCS openalpha 2.0.5 to 2.1.0 included changes to the callsigns used to sort the Nevada towers on the static ATC mod. As a result, the VAICOM profile commands needed to select Nevada towers needed to be changed. I've made those changes in the attached file. Otherwise, instructions are the same as below, except that you need to find the updated static ATC mod files that I posted for version 2.1. You can find them here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3155965&postcount=46

EDIT as of 7/18/2017. Fixed bug causing recipient to be incorrect when the command included more than just the callsign. Attachment now includes the bug fix.

Hi. I've created a little profile with just one command that adds the call signs for Nevada ATC towers to VAICOM 2.0. This assumes you are running 2.0.5 of DCS World, and have the updated version of Whartsell's Static ATC Mod that I created to work with 1.5.6 and 2.0.5. To install:

1. Make sure you have the updates to Static ATC Mod by Whartsell that I posted here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3094226#post3094226

2. Download attached file, unzip it, and copy the vap file to your VAICOM profile directory. (Subdirectory of VoiceAttack)

3. Fire up VoiceAttack and activate your favorite VAICOM profile.

4. Open the profile editor.

5. Choose "Import Commands" and select the downloaded profile file.

6. Make sure the "Indian Springs ..." command is selected and click "Import."

7. Click "Done"

The command associates the call signs for 8 towers currently supporting radio comms in 2.0.5 Nevada map with the respective entries generated by the static ATC mod from the map. This let's you, for example, call "Dreamland, Inbound" for a call to the Groom Lake tower, or "Indian Springs, vector" for a call to Creech. The command supports the call signs for the 8 fields I identified in post http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3099732#post3099732.

Edit as of 2017-05-18: Replaced the attachment to correct a very small bug when the call is "Nellis."

VAICOM Towers for DCS 2.1.0 Nevada-Profile.vap.zip

Edited by sthompson
Fix bug in original file
  • Like 1

thanks all for your posts

I am in NORMANDY only and only WARBIRDS

P-51D

all seems OK ... I could have some commands ( Start Mission ; Esc ; ) but not at all , the In flight comms ; even the start up procedure !!!

and ...

I read again the doc ; and see I let the PPT en the \ key !!! not on the joystick hardware

so I can say that It's working fine now

and

--> You can use VAICOM PTT directly with your HOTAS.

Follow below steps to make VAICOM PTT respond directly to joystick buttons.

Adapt for each VAICOM profile that you intent to use.

First:

*) Upgrade your VoiceAttack to version 1.5.8.17 beta or higher.

Existing VAICOM users:

*) If you are already using keyboard emulation with TARGET or similar: disable it.

*) If you are already using keyboard emulation with Autohotkey: from now on do not run Autohotkey anymore.

To set up direct PTT:

*) In VA, go to options/general/ joystick options. With the + icon, add your joystick e.g. HOTAS Warthog Throttle. Exit with OK.

*) Load the VAICOM profile and go to edit (the icon with the pencil). Open (+) the Push-to-Talk category. Edit each command in there as follows:

*) Double click to open. Check 'When I press button' and click on the [...] button.

*) Select Joystick Buttons window: Press the refresh button (the circular arrow). Note: It is necessary to do this refresh every time before you set up a new button.

*) Then, on your joystick, press the physical button you want to use and it will be recognized in the window.

*) IMPORTANT: if you are editing the command for RELEASE e.g. 'Transmit VHF1 released', check the box 'shortcut is invoked only when all buttons are released'. Store with OK.

*) IMPORTANT: if you are editing the command for PRESS e.g. 'Transmit VHF1 pressed', do NOT check this box.

*) Note: Of course in above the joystick buttons used for VHF1 press and VHF1 release must be the same button! Make sure you get this right for each press/release combo.

*) Note: optionally you can uncheck the 'when I press keys' option for each command if you intent to no longer use your physical keyboard for VAICOM PTT.

*) Check in the VA log that PTT press/releases are correctly recognized.

Done!

PS: are you upgrading the P51 PlugIn next for the NORMANDY map specialy - and ONLY NORMANDY will be great ...

Edited by JallieFR

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

Just an FYI for Hollywood... callsigns can go beyond 44. The F-15C instant action, for instance, has your callsign as Chevy 51. Perhaps 51-94 could be added?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

• 3 weeks later...

I am going crazy here... Every time I am saying a command, it gives me the " Multiple commands issued (ignored)" message.

What am I doing wrong? I cannot get it to work, for the life of me... Only commands that work is start mission, options, reset profile, etc.

Edited by tribundf