Finding targets

hhatch

I have been out of flight simming for a few years and decided to try something a little different after flying FSX for several years.

I downloaded DCS World and have spent 30 hours or so trying to get my flying skills back.

I have now started to learn how to use weapons - something new to me. My problem now is that I am having great difficulty identifying targets. In order to id targets I find I must be quite close which gives me very little time to get a weapon released such as a laser guided missile. I understand I am new and expect a significant learning curve.

I simply cannot see those little black dots until I am real close. I have tried going around the target area scanning with the camera etc but I just don't see targets at any distance. Maybe it's my old eyes.

I thought I would try using labels for a bit but the command does not seem to work for the SU 25 T. I am running version 1.2.16 which I downloaded from Steam.

I have been watching the videos by Robert Sogomonian and did notice that I could see targets even though the plane was a good distance from the target. I tried some graphics adjustments but to no avail.

I'm sure you have heard this before. I would appreciate some suggestions.

when in steam, right click the game, properties, then beta's, and then join the 1.5 beta.

in 1.5 they added a new system that overlays a large sprite over units at large distances, so it's much easier to spot them, it's not easy to find things in the shrubs but atleast you can see a road column a good distance away.

happy landings!

Check my F-15C guide

Did you get labels in any aircraft? There's a check box in the options menu that needs to be set before the keyboard command will do anything.

Also- I also have trouble seeing targets at a distance and my eyes are fine (I believe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not get any labels. I did click on the check box.

when in steam, right click the game, properties, then beta's, and then join the 1.5 beta.

in 1.5 they added a new system that overlays a large sprite over units at large distances, so it's much easier to spot them, it's not easy to find things in the shrubs but atleast you can see a road column a good distance away.

happy landings!

I downloaded the public beta which I assume is 1.5 but I could not open the application.

Where did you download it?

If you downloaded the Steam-Version, then there is nothing you need to open. Just do what Sryan said.

If you're downloading the standalone version, then make you download all the files, not just the .exe.

About spotting targets. It is difficult, no doubt. Are you using the zoom function? If not, you should try that (* and / on the numpad). It helps a lot.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I did not get any labels. I did click on the check box.

In the editor the settings are little difficult to get at first sometimes.

There is first tick to Enforce the option, and other tick to set it On/Off.

So you can example force that no one can use labels or that everyone has labels, or that the labels are allowed but it is up to player settings to enable/disable those.

Have you tried pressing LShift+F10 in flight? It turns all labels On/Off.

And the capability to see vehicles is depending resolution as well.

There is a big difference between Full HD (1920x1080) and Ultra HD (3840x2160).

With UHD I can spot in 1.2 ground targets with default field of view (no zooming) at about 8-10km range depending their size, naturally without concealment on those. And then air targets few kilometers further if those are against clear solid color like sky.

So to me it is little unnatural as the targets will pop-up so easily in the default terrain etc. Why I needed to get the terrain texture mod to add clutter so spotting ground units would be far more difficult as in reality it should be (meaning spotting example a stationary ground vehicle next to forest at 1.5km distance, moving vehicle at 3km distance and vehicle on road or field from about 7-8km distance.

To get better in spotting, use autopilot level+roll option. Fly at about 4km altitude and fairly wide circle (about 15-20° bank) around the area and just look down. You will spot targets easily.

And if possible, and doing lots of AT tasks, spend one rocket pod to S-8 smokes.

And now when you find targets, fire a single smoke at the target area, fly straight and fire a another just a kilometer or two further. No when you come back after taking some distance, you have a approach line that is easily visible and you can just enable Autopilot Level+Route and start using a Shkval (Level+route banks Su-25T automatically to Shkval targeting gate direction and you can use it to do bombing etc easily) to find your targets and prepare for weapons release.

Tip: it is often better to do smokes before target zone and then at target zone so you don't fly over AA arms if at low altitude (below 4Km etc).

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Where did you download it?

If you downloaded the Steam-Version, then there is nothing you need to open. Just do what Sryan said.

If you're downloading the standalone version, then make you download all the files, not just the .exe.

About spotting targets. It is difficult, no doubt. Are you using the zoom function? If not, you should try that (* and / on the numpad). It helps a lot.

I used steam to install the update. The problem is the application would not launch. I clicked on the icon, tried to launch from steam, and tried the exe file in the application. I had to go back to the previous version.

I used steam to install the update. The problem is the application would not launch. I clicked on the icon, tried to launch from steam, and tried the exe file in the application. I had to go back to the previous version.

Hmm, I'm afraid I can't help you there since I'm not using the Steam version :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi, if you've not purchased any modules / aircraft for DCS through steam yet it might be worth getting the NON-steam DCS World beta version (i.e. stand alone).

IMO it's far better to run DCS stand alone than through steam anyway in that new modules released are delayed going on to steam.

I'm personally not a fan of "game managers" anyway. Just one more thing to get in the way and sit eating PC resources but that's just me.

I suspect your issues will go away when running DCS World Beta stand alone and also I think there would be more people able to help if it still doesn't work right.

That's what I'd do if it were me. :thumbup:

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

Try the gamecache integrity check first (might take a while if you are not using ssd) and then run the DCS executable directly, which should be located in ../Steam/SteamApps/common/DCSWorld/bin/DCS.exe

By the way, Openbeta 1.5 branch works without Steam itself running, at least now (i.e. there is no additional drm applied it seems). It helps to save resources indeed to leave steam shut off, mostly in my case about +0,5gb of free ram and less cpu usage. Best results obtained after fresh reboot and not touching steam at all.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

Try the gamecache integrity check first (might take a while if you are not using ssd) and then run the DCS executable directly, which should be located in ../Steam/SteamApps/common/DCSWorld/bin/DCS.exe

By the way, Openbeta 1.5 branch works without Steam itself running, at least now (i.e. there is no additional drm applied it seems). It helps to save resources indeed to leave steam shut off, mostly in my case about +0,5gb of free ram and less cpu usage. Best results obtained after fresh reboot and not touching steam at all.

I did the game cache integrity and that did not solve the problem. I went into the app but found no dcs executable file. I was able to launch from one file simply called dcs and another called launcher. I tried those and still have the problem. I have been able to map a lot of commands to my joystick but this file will not work off the keyboard or the button I tried to map. I've never had this kind of issue before. Very strange.

I think finding targets, is actually a very tricky part, be it in reality or in DCS. Thats what JTAC and Awacs are good for and if you have to do it for yourself this is VERY difficult. The actual flying is just a rather small part in DCS (at least in A10C) A10C is more a "weapon management simulator", a "strategy game" (what to kill first) with a small "action part" (= flying).

Thats also something I had to learn. Contact JTAC to get some targets, find them with your targeting pod, then probably turn around to make a new approach, set markpoints,probably turn around again to make the final attack run to actually shoot things. Thats probably also how its in reality. I'm quite sure every A10 pilot has flow more circles in his / her lifetime to plan things then any other pilot. :P

I would expect that real pilots with better training can basically do this easily in one or maybe two approaches, but for me with limited time and training its usually flying back and forth several times (or in circles) until I can shoot something. It will get better when you become more skilled. So dont expect to spot your target and then pewpew... :D

Just dont be too hard to yourself and expect that you do everything as good as you would expect from a real pilot. Always remember that those guys spend hours and hours and hours of training and get paid for this and they have the real controls. They can touch things in the real cockpil while you have to use the mouse or find the right key on the keyboard so you are also in a "handling disadvantage" even if you have a HOTAS and the MFD Panels. You do this for fun and will most probably never get as good as a real pilot just because of the lack time you can put into this or the lack of equipment. This is also something I had to accept.

Edited by Ayindi

Im was also struggling with this, now I just untether the TGP reticle, place it over a label with a combination of flight direction and slew to lock it in place then enter a circle pattern and fine tune the TGP, It feels like cheating though!

I think finding targets, is actually a very tricky part, be it in reality or in DCS. Thats what JTAC and Awacs are good for and if you have to do it for yourself this is VERY difficult. The actual flying is just a rather small part in DCS (at least in A10C) A10C is more a "weapon management simulator", a "strategy game" (what to kill first) with a small "action part" (= flying).

Thats also something I had to learn. Contact JTAC to get some targets, find them with your targeting pod, then probably turn around to make a new approach, set markpoints,probably turn around again to make the final attack run to actually shoot things. Thats probably also how its in reality. I'm quite sure every A10 pilot has flow more circles in his / her lifetime to plan things then any other pilot. :P

I would expect that real pilots with better training can basically do this easily in one or maybe two approaches, but for me with limited time and training its usually flying back and forth several times (or in circles) until I can shoot something. It will get better when you become more skilled. So dont expect to spot your target and then pewpew... :D

Just dont be too hard to yourself and expect that you do everything as good as you would expect from a real pilot. Always remember that those guys spend hours and hours and hours of training and get paid for this and they have the real controls. They can touch things in the real cockpil while you have to use the mouse or find the right key on the keyboard so you are also in a "handling disadvantage" even if you have a HOTAS and the MFD Panels. You do this for fun and will most probably never get as good as a real pilot just because of the lack time you can put into this or the lack of equipment. This is also something I had to accept.

I could tell pretty quickly that targeting was going to be tough. Even with labels on the visibility of those black dots is such that I still have to get quite close before I can ready and deploy weapons .

Your comment about DCS being more of a "weapons simulator" "strategy" game was interesting. I found my primary interests in fsx was navigation and difficult landings. I learned how to navigate using only radios. I planned flights using sectional maps and FAA approach plates. So the flying element needs to be there for me. The problem with civilian flight sims is what to do during long flights. That's why I flew a lot of small planes on short flights.

It remains to be seen what my level of interest will be in DCS. I am accustomed to dealing with steep learning curves. I enjoy the process even when things don't go well.

People have suggested going to the 1.5 beta. Perhaps I'll do that. I need to solve the target visibility issue. Thanks to all for helping me get started.

In the video options please set the MFD definition value to a higher one.

Make a easy mission with different varieties of units. Examples a couple of linebackers and some bradleys, some Abrams, BTR, one Avengers. Whatever you want.

You will notice that the Bradley and Linebackers are similar. Just try, you will see they are not the same at all. First targets to kill are the air-defense ok

I was talking about identification. Now... Targeting and find the enemy location have much to do with the quality of the briefing and how good you are in navigation and situational awareness skill.

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Navigation in DCS is pretty easy I think. Since you are flying rather short routes you just have to follow the lines in your TAD. Difficult Landings can be done by doing your own missions in the mission editor. Wind, bad weather all is there, but you basically need to do it on your own.

I would still say, if you are more interested in "just flying" and navigation stick with FSX, but if you also like the weapon management and strategy part DCS is really worth a try. A10C is probably the most complex module you could get. This module would give you the best in all relevant categories. Hint, its currenty for 40% off on steam (not sure about the regular DCS shop) so it would be a great time to start with it in case you dont have it yet.

Navigation in DCS is pretty easy I think. Since you are flying rather short routes you just have to follow the lines in your TAD. Difficult Landings can be done by doing your own missions in the mission editor. Wind, bad weather all is there, but you basically need to do it on your own.

I would still say, if you are more interested in "just flying" and navigation stick with FSX, but if you also like the weapon management and strategy part DCS is really worth a try. A10C is probably the most complex module you could get. This module would give you the best in all relevant categories. Hint, its currenty for 40% off on steam (not sure about the regular DCS shop) so it would be a great time to start with it in case you dont have it yet.

I am certainly not ready to throw in the towel. This is different from FSX to be sure. However, I must admit it's fun to blow stuff up. What I do like about DCS is that it is not the usual fps game which I have no interest in. I do like the complexity and challenge of this sim.

So far in my playing some of the Su-25T combat missions I find that paying very close attention to mission planner geographic markers like rivers, certain city layouts, hills, or anything that stands out helps alot. Then when I am actually in the mission I check my alignments frequently and memorize azimuth directions and have my 180 degree coordinates already figured.

Then comes the fun part of keeping all of that in check, evading SAM's, locking their radars, keeping altitude above AAA range, finding your actual mission target, and then landing a hit.

Sometimes I find myself pausing the game and bringing up the F10 map. Feels a little bit like cheating, but after all of the time I spent flying out there and setting up my approach I can justify it a little. So if I were to give advice it would be to have a plan, a system that you do consistently that cuts out some of the potential confusion around you. It helps me out a lot.

Edited by Mil 24 Hind Mind

"I would still say, if you are more interested in "just flying" and navigation stick with FSX"

This is why we need more appropriate Traffic and navigations system on DCS, This would add a lot more to the "Sim" also lot more people would jump in and not just to kill something.

Fly it like you stole it..

"I would still say, if you are more interested in "just flying" and navigation stick with FSX"

This is why we need more appropriate Traffic and navigations system on DCS, This would add a lot more to the "Sim" also lot more people would jump in and not just to kill something.

Ideally I'm was looking for a balance between the weapons management and flying. I just purchased the A 10c which was on sale on Steam. It will take me a few weeks to form an opinion of how I feel about DCS.

With the VR coming real soon and the feeling to be on a real VR dimensional cockpit all those details will play a huge role in the DCS future . Interaction with teh world around you is #1. SO lets have the most realistic as possible. and it can be dumb down to a F3 level on a flip of a switch. Everyone happy ;)

Fly it like you stole it..