Noob Help requested

Delareon

Hi folks,

im trying to master the TF51d, before i will buy the P51.

Well im allready managed to do the startup and a quite good take off.

But im struggeling on landing. I dont know what im doing wrong.

Im managing to do a good straight touch down, without much bumping.

Then the plane slows down maybe 10 seconds or so, but then starts to break right, i try to conquer that with left rudder but always the plane moves to the left, no chance to stop that movement, even if i hit full right rudder, and it crashes.

i dont know what im doing wrong, why does it break right and what to do against that.

frustrating.....

Have you tried using slight wheel brake inputs on the right wheel to help counteract the veering to the left? I always without fail manage to mess up some aspect of a flight in the P-51/TF-51 so your definitely not alone - DCS does take a LOT of practice :thumbup:

Ollie

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Just plenty of back pressure on the stick will solve the problem. First, it makes the tail sit down tight, and as Flamin Squirrel said, it also locks the tail wheel. Do that as soon as the plane settles, and it usually just tracks nice and straight.

The other thing you need to do is catch the swings early. The geometry of tail dragger undercarriage means that if a turn starts to get too far, there is a tendency for the plane to snap straight into a ground loop. Early correction with either some rudder, or a dab of differential braking is the key.

thanks fo the tips. i will try it today.

so tactics are: do a straight touch down without slipping.

stick neutral on touch down.

as soon as plane sattles, move stick back.

and very carefully corrections with rudder and even brakes if things go wrong.

thank you very much, lets see if im able to survive now

Oh and thank you for the very kind answers.

I just saw an thread dedicated to landing and ground physics where my questions (should) be answered also.

I know many forums where i just get an link to the Post and a comment like "first read then start asking questions...."

So thank you for your advice its very apreciated!

Land with trims neutral (especially elevator for no bumping and rudder for going straight)

For a 3-point landing learn the correct flare procedure (very difficult for beginners).

The good thing at 3-point landings is that you pull pack the stick in the landing procedure which also locks the tailwheel. If you make a good 3-point touchdown it should be pretty easy to stay straight. This is much harder in a 2-point landing, therefore the touchdown itself should be easier there.

The rudder corrections you make on the ground should be very smooth. Notice that it needs a bit of time for the Stang to react to your inputs. So if you push your rudder and wait till the aircraft reacts you may overdo it. Mostly it is enough to shortly push the rudder^^

Practice practice practice. I need about a half year to master landing in the Mustang :D

since im piloting motor gliders in RL the flare procedure was one of the first things i tried.

In such kind of plane you gently pull the stick back as the plane slows down until you have it full pulled back, a few centimeters above the ground and wait until the plane touches down.

Maybe i need some more practice for the flaring but when i tried this with DCS the 51 was bumping up and i was jumping around like a grasshopper until i crash.

So currently very short before touch down (3 point) i center the stick. Then you will only bump if you are still too high when then plan settles down.

Maybe i need some more practice for the flaring but when i tried this with DCS the 51 was bumping up and i was jumping around like a grasshopper until i crash.

So currently very short before touch down (3 point) i center the stick. Then you will only bump if you are still too high when then plan settles down.

Definitely you tried flaring too fast and too late. Too late because aircraft hits the ground, so you didn't "flare" properly at centimetres from ground but bounce hitting the ground. And fast for sure because if you properly three pointed she's stalled so always full stick back (as any tail dragger on ground, always stick back) and that never puts you airborne again. With stick back you have control to deal with her until you're stopped avoiding nose overs.

If you want some reading here every point is quite well explained.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Please make sure you land the Mustang with absolute neutral trim (there is an assignable button to reset the trimming). Many newcomers trim in their descent very tail heavy (because of gear and full flaps). As they then touch down the trimming will produce a heavy bounce because the P-51D trimming has very much power, can even be more than the joystick can built up in certain conditions.

I had struggle landing the Pony myself but as soon as I landed with neutral trim everything worked fine.

let me report my record so far:

my goal was to do a nice flare with an even nicer 3 point landing.

currently i did 10 test flights with following results:

nice landings with no or very small bumpings 10

crashes 0

:pilotfly:

since i did a much better flare and as a result have the stick back on touch down, and hold it in this position until the plane came to full stop, i didnt crash a single time, worked on first try.

Thank you very much lads! :thumbup:

I will do a few more just for the sake of pushing my ego up again and then i start working on crosswind landings.

by the way, whats the limits for 90° crosswinds?

let me report my record so far:

my goal was to do a nice flare with an even nicer 3 point landing.

currently i did 10 test flights with following results:

nice landings with no or very small bumpings 10

crashes 0

:pilotfly:

since i did a much better flare and as a result have the stick back on touch down, and hold it in this position until the plane came to full stop, i didnt crash a single time, worked on first try.

Thank you very much lads! :thumbup:

I will do a few more just for the sake of pushing my ego up again and then i start working on crosswind landings.

by the way, whats the limits for 90° crosswinds?

If you purchase the German fighters, they're really picky on landings. Pulling the stick back is essential for landing them. The P51 is a cakewalk to the 109. IMO anyway.

I can land and stop the mustang without doing it (I prefer not to for obvious reasons) but it's almost impossible to land the 109 or 190 without it.

If you purchase the German fighters, they're really picky on landings. Pulling the stick back is essential for landing them. The P51 is a cakewalk to the 109. IMO anyway.

I can land and stop the mustang without doing it (I prefer not to for obvious reasons) but it's almost impossible to land the 109 or 190 without it.

^ have to back this up too - IMO. I too struggled with landing the Mustang initially, but compared to the German fighters, its like parking the family car.

I found there are plenty of good YouTube videos on all the WWII planes - especially for landing and take off demos. A video is worth a 1000 words and practice is always your friend.