Two CH Pro Throttles Setup for twin engines aircraft

Lion13

Does anyone use two(2) CH Pro Throttles for their A-10C controller setup?

I do not want to invest in yet another HOTAS system.

Don't give me a P-38,

The props they counter-rotate,

They're battered and smitten from Burma to Britain.

Oh, give me operations way out on some lonely atoll,

For I am too young to die, I just want to grow old.

From "THE WILD BLUE YONDER"

by Oscar Brand and The Roger Wilco Four

DCS seems to recognise joysticks and similar by their unique hardware ID numbers, so in theory while I haven't tried it, you should be able to plug in two of the same and use them.

I'm not really sure you'll get much benefit of using two throttles like that though, especially for the A-10C, I can't remember the last time I took the throttle off max after take off, let alone fiddled with individual throttles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

hmmmmm 2 throttles can definitely be useful. Like bobert said when an engine is damaged and you want to attempt a restart ( you must set the engine to OFF though, just going idle on the throttle is not enough ) but most importantly for me to have precision yaw controls when holding a tight formation with something like a tanker. You see the yaw caused by the rudder is very quick to introduce roll as well, it's actually possible to do aileron rolls with just the rudder and 0 aileron deflection. By having a small difference in between each throttle it's easy to get a high precision 0,5deg/sec or so yaw action with no rolling introduced. You can yaw faster than that with the throttles but that will also introduce roll. However I find that roll comfortable to nullify with the stick. You see I have no pedals, just a twisty stick, and to stop induced rolling I'd have to, par example, twist the stick to the left while moving it to the right, when you need to apply corrections it's easy to get confused into what exact motion you need to make. by having dual throttles it becomes easier on the brain. apply and correct yaw with the left hand ( throttles ) and correct rolling with the right hand ( stick ).

Check my F-15C guide

In the CH ControlManager you can assign a single axis on a single controller to up to 16 virtual devices.

This assignment can be toggled via CMScripting.

So pushing one button would switch the throttle to control only the left or right engine. When deactivated it controls both again. I'm pretty sure I've seen something like that a while ago on CH Hangar. Didn't test it, though.

I've implemented a keyboard-solution, though. Much simpler and more handy in an emergency situation.

Question remains, how DCS handles controller switching. I've had DCS stop recognizing my HOTAS, when switching profiles.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I'm sure there is a good reason for real aircraft to have dual throttles. But I haven't found much of a use for them in DCS. Even having completed all the MFM courses like Aerial Refueling and Emergecy Procedures. The real plane of course uses them to start each engine separately but DCS has key presses for that. You can use those same key commands to restart or shut down engines in an emergency. A single throttle controller works fine for the sim.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Two throttles...that will come in handy when we get a dual prop plane. I can see just goosing the right engine to turn left on the Tarmac. Ah memories of the P38.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• 1 month later...

The really crappy part about NOT using a warthog is that you will have a hard time learning the aircraft if you don't match up the controls as close as possible to the real thing. I'd rather have a TM warthog and use that for other stuff, like I do, than have a generic stick. Just my .02...

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

you don't need to worry about DCS recognising the same device twice. From a HOTAS point of view, it is far ergonomic to just invest in TMWH (even though without proper maintenance can turn to a paper weight). The benefits are far greater. But, CH are known for their precision and even though a pot based stick is a pain after some spiking or jittering, CH have been kind to send me replacement pots and springs. Those I replaced in 15 mins for my stick and it is now the redundant alternate should TMWH fail. I always aim to have at least a good pair of hardware in case one fails.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.