Saving custom GPS waypoints that can be used in any mission

justinm11

Hey all,

Did some searching and even looked through the LUA files myself but I couldn't crack this one. What I would like to do is add a few waypoints to the game database so that I can easily pull them up in any mission I'm flying. The reason would be to say add in the waypoints for the approach plates contained within the awesome approach plates that Snoopy and Noodle created. Rather than have to input the coordinates every single time I want to go direct to AKAKI for the ILS13 in Batumi, I'd like to just be able to type the waypoint name in and fly gps direct. I found what I think it the waypoint database for the A-10C under the A-10 mod folder but I'm wondering if anybody had an easy way to add waypoints to this file.

Thanks in advance, Justin.

On further looking, I found a mission that adds in most of the waypoints and taught me how to add further ones that I need in the game. So this solves my problem for custom mission, but not for already made or campaign sorties. If anybody knows how to add these points permanently to the data base that would be great! I'd also try to release a version of this to the public if I can figure out how and get it working.

Edited by justinm11

On further looking, I found a mission that adds in most of the waypoints and taught me how to add further ones that I need in the game.

Sounds interesting. Which mission you've found?

If anybody knows how to add these points permanently to the data base that would be great! I'd also try to release a version of this to the public if I can figure out how and get it working.

Would indeed nice to have custom waypoints handy every time.

If the default ones are stored in a normal textfile and new ones can be added there, it would be easy to make a JSGME patch.

To enhance your initial question: Is it possible to savie a default or custom flightplan?

In BS2 there's an option to save a flightplan on the local HDD and reload it later or in other missions. Wondering, if this would work here as well. Found nothing on this topic in the manual.

This is the link to the mission with the navigation points. Very well done.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/38356/

This works great if you are making a custom mission and I plan to use it. The problem comes in play when you try to play a single mission, or a campaign. With no way to merge the points into that mission, it doesn't really work.

I have found a text file that seems to contain some waypoints for a database and I've done a bit of messing around with this file but with no luck. I can't get any waypoints to show up in game.

The files I'm referring to are located here:

DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\NavigationComputer\Database

Again, I'm not sure if these are even the correct files for what I'm trying to do. Hopefully someone who has more experience with coding and this type of file can offer some thoughts on if I'm even in the right spot.

I know how to create flightplans using the CDU. I went through and figured out approx coordinates for all the navigation points on the ILS approach into Viziani, input them into a flight plan and flew the entire procedure to an ILS landing. Worked great, but I'm not sure if you can permanently save these flight plans.

• 1 month later...

This would be a *great* addition. I hope there's a way to make it happen.

I'm sorry, I'm a DCS rookie so I can't be much help coming up with a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. System specs: Windows 7 Pro, EVGA X58 3x classified 3 MOBO, i7 960 @3.2Ghz, 24Gb Ram, Nvidia EVGA GTX 780ti with 3 Gb VRAM.

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.

The way we do it in the 476th is that we place IP points in the mission editor and name them. Then each time we do a flight, we search the waypoints (ip's in the ME) by name in the cdu and create the flt plan in the pit. It takes just a couple of minutes to do it in the pit.

But yes, a dtc system would be the sheezneet.

Edited by Kimi_uy

The files I'm referring to are located here:

DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\NavigationComputer\Database

The Default_DTS_CDU_DB.lua file even contains a comment that seems to indicate the DB file would be loaded in custom missions when placed near? the mission file.

-- Если в папке Missions рядом с файлом миссии лежит файл [ИМЯ_МИССИИ]_DTS_CDU_Database.lua, то база будет грузиться с него.

Couldn't get it to work either though.