DCS Kneeboard for Android

FoReIgNeR

Hey guys,

I was getting a bit frustrated with the limitations of the fixed DCS kneeboard functionality. To name a couple: the fact that you can't make customized tabs or folders (for for instance, airports, maps, aircraft specific procedures, aerobatic routines, etc.), can't add large images because of the default kneeboard size and lack of a zoom function, and that the kneeboard overlays over valuable screen real-estate. At first I tried a dual-monitor set-up, but viewing and browsing through images on the second screen makes you lose focus on the DCS screen (can't control aircraft), so that also wasn't a good alternative... So...

I built a little Android app (DCS Kneeboard) with which you can create a custom kneeboard =)

[uPDATE] I just uploaded the app to the Play Store and it's pending publication. Should be available in a couple of hours! The app is fully functional as is, but I'm definitely open for feedback, comments and feature requests ;)

[uPDATE] It's available in the play store! Get it at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kneeboard&hl=en

[uPDATE] The app is now Android 4.03+ compatible instead of 4.4+

A short overview:

---------------

DCS kneeboard is an application that lets you create, manage and view your custom kneeboard set-up on an Android device:

Installation:

- Create a folder named 'DCSKneeboard' in the 'Pictures' folder on your device

- Create as many subfolders as you want

- Images placed in the subfolders will be displayed in the app

- The image named 'folder_icon.png' will show as the icon for that folder (96x96px)

Navigation:

- Pinch to zoom

- Swipe to move

Cheers!

wg5CEYQ.jpg

IW2Ttuu.jpg

FhkoKWG.jpg

Edited by =FoReIgNeR=
  • Like 1

Great idea mate..hope to see this app soon on the store.

Thanks for your work

Asrock Z77 Extreme6

Intel Core I7-3770K 3.5Ghz

G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 PC3-14900 16GB 4x4GB CL9 Asus GTX 970 Strix 4GB GDDR5

AeroCool Templarius Imperator 750W 80 Plus SilverSeagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MBCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

NOX Coolbay SX Devil USB 3.0

Absolutely!!! Thank you for sharing.

~ LA

[sIGPIC]sigpic89379_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Intel Core Haswell i5-4670K OC @ 4.2GHz | Asus Z87-Plus mobo | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600 Ram | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 OC w/ 8GB memory | Oculus Rift w/ Touch Controllers | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack | Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG |Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 4 C‬lip | Helios

Black Knights Squadron Member

Great work, I would use it as well.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whoa, very excited to try this! I've been using an old Android tablet as a sort-of kneeboard for months now, primarily to see Lino's Beacon Map and flight manuals. But having customizable kneeboards for each aircraft now--that's incredible.

Great Sir!!...thank you very much for your work. Expecting to test it just returning home in a few days

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

Asrock Z77 Extreme6

Intel Core I7-3770K 3.5Ghz

G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 PC3-14900 16GB 4x4GB CL9 Asus GTX 970 Strix 4GB GDDR5

AeroCool Templarius Imperator 750W 80 Plus SilverSeagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MBCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

NOX Coolbay SX Devil USB 3.0

I'm planning to do some non-related programming stuff in IOS in a couple of months so I might port it at some point, but don't count on it. In any case, follow this thread to keep updated!

And as for right now, I just shelled $25 to get an android developer account and I don't feel like shelling another $100 to get an Apple licence which 'allows' me, by Steve and Gods grace, to program for Apple devices. As you can hear I'm not really an Apple fanboy to be honest ;)

My main focus now is to tweak the existing app and add extra functionality in the Android version. Any input and ideas are welcome!

I just spent the better part of my day rooting my Asus TF700T tablet and updating the OS from 4.2.1 to a 5.1.1 ROM, including many forced pauses when I lost patience with the process. But I kept at it and am now up and running, and just tried out the app--fantastic job, completely worth it! Thank you so much for taking the time to develop this and share with the community.

I just spent the better part of my day rooting my Asus TF700T tablet and updating the OS from 4.2.1 to a 5.1.1 ROM, including many forced pauses when I lost patience with the process. But I kept at it and am now up and running, and just tried out the app--fantastic job, completely worth it! Thank you so much for taking the time to develop this and share with the community.

FYI: I just updated the app in the App Store. It should now be Android API 15+ (4.03) compatible rather than the previous API 19 (4.4+).

FYI: I just updated the app in the App Store. It should now be Android API 15+ (4.03) compatible rather than the previous API 19 (4.4+).

My god...seems I should've asked you how hard it would be support earlier versions before sinking an entire day into it!

Haha, ah well... The upgrade will probably be of use at some point =)

[uPDATE] I'm gonna update the app soon so that you can also import images that are larger than the maximum texture size of your device (e.g., 4096x4096). That way you can for instance import Linos beacon map as a single image without having to manually split it up into multiple images. I'll keep you posted!