DCS Kneeboard for Android

FoReIgNeR

Request: Can you also add settings for Landscape/Portrait so I can use it on a 10.1" TAB in both settings?

That's certainly possible and I'll try to get it in in the next update. I'll let it auto-rotate with your device, thanks!

[EDIT] I read the message that you posted and removed ;) But I agree that it's best to make the rotation user selectable. I'm gonna fancify the app tonight and I'll have a look at it. Maybe not in the next update, but certainly soon after.

Edited by =FoReIgNeR=

I tried to use the charts in .pdf format from my ED root directory without success. The folder is visible but nothing opens. Any ideas please. Or a location I can d/l some other charts:)

Great App BTW as soon as I find decent content for it:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried to use the charts in .pdf format from my ED root directory without success. The folder is visible but nothing opens. Any ideas please. Or a location I can d/l some other charts:)

Great App BTW as soon as I find decent content for it:thumbup:

Hey Cibit,

Thanks! The app currently only supports image formats and not pdf's. I'll look if there's an easy way to do an internal pdf to image conversion in the existing Android framework. If so, I'll definitely add this functionality! Would be cool if you could just drop a manual in a folder and browse through it in the app =)

BTW, I found the image files of the charts somewhere under a 'kneeboard' folder in the DCS install directory. But if you have a bunch of pdf's and other files you can have a look at AlaskanGrizzly's great kneeboardbuilder with which you can very easily import and customize kneeboard pics and folders,

Cheers!

Thanks. I already use the kneeboard builder so thanks for the tip. I am off to create some content for the app.

Best wishes for your continued support on this:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice app! Thanks for providing a new tool!

I like the categories with the custom icons. It allows a quick kneeboard selection.

I'd have some UI improvements suggestions:

- swipe left/right for previous/next kb picture (current previous/next buttons are small for quick access/control)

- restrict the zoom out view to the 1:1 depending on the device

- allow double tap zoom (default to 200%?) and double tap to return to the default zoom (100%)

- "double tap zoom" centers the zoomed picture on the last tap position (x,y)

- on-the-fly bookmarks (like the DCS kneeboard function)?

- jumplists? (I'm thinking about common (or kb specific) references you would want to display (canals and radio frequencies, mission objectives details/maps, any learning reference, etc.)

- bigger kneeboard icon (faster visual selection) (tile/grid) with title overlay?

I'm currently using QuickPic as a kneeboard app (in explorer mode using a dedicated DCS subfolder) and it's rather comfortable but not as focused as your app could be.

I'm also using the DCS World Encyclopedia app for the general reference and airbase quick info (great app).

Some dedicated functions would really shine and I'd gladly pay for a more advanced package ;)

Good luck and thanks again!

• Like 1

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Nice app! Thanks for providing a new tool!

I like the categories with the custom icons. It allows a quick kneeboard selection.

I'd have some UI improvements suggestions:

- swipe left/right for previous/next kb picture (current previous/next buttons are small for quick access/control)

- allow double tap zoom (default to 200%?) and double tap to return to the default zoom (100%)

- jumplists? (I'm thinking about common (or kb specific) references you would want to display (canals and radio frequencies, mission objectives details/maps, any learning reference, etc.)

- bigger kneeboard icon (faster visual selection) (tile/grid) with title overlay?

I'm currently using QuickPic as a kneeboard app (in explorer mode using a dedicated DCS subfolder) and it's rather comfortable but not as focused as your app could be.

I'm also using the DCS World Encyclopedia app for the general reference and airbase quick info (great app).

Some dedicated functions would really shine and I'd gladly pay for a more advanced package ;)

Good luck and thanks again!

Hi Bourrinopathe,

Thanks for the feedback, some very useful ideas there! My thoughts:

That's the first thing on my list. Change the navigation logic and get rid of the ugly Actionbar and buttons. I was thinking of a swiping interaction as well.

Will do that, I'll also limit the movement of the image to the edge of the screen when zoomed in.

This sounds like a neat idea, I'll try it out to see how it works in practice

Do you mean starting at the last chosen page when exiting and entering a folder? Should be easy enough to implement =)

Sounds interesting, how would you see this work in practice?

I'm planning to make the lay-out of the list selection device dependent. 96x96px is quite large on a phone, but small on a tablet, and vice versa. And a tile grid sounds like a good idea!

Aaand... The app is very much in an alpha state right now, I didn't put much time in it yet (maybe a day and a half). You'll see the functionality growing steadily as work progresses.

Cheers

It's nice to hear you have plans! :thumbup:

Do you mean starting at the last chosen page when exiting and entering a folder? Should be easy enough to implement =)

Not exactly. I was thinking about the shortcuts you can create with the DCS kneeboard (using the keybindings) (up to 10 shortcuts available): you hit a key and it assigns the current kneeboard page to a first shortcut, rinse and repeat.

I thought it could be useful to mark a page and access it via a submenu. Of course, there are several GUI solutions to achieve that but there's a pretty neat feature I use in a GPS app (OruxMaps): you tap the screen once (in a specific area) and a few overlay icons appear. From there you can choose a submenu/function (like a bookmark list and a bookmark button?).

The icons fade out after a few seconds.

(even the main title/menu bar appears that way)

Sounds interesting, how would you see this work in practice?

It's just a rough idea but accessing different pictures/reference tables could be useful and I was thinking about a dropdown list you could deploy from the main title bar or an overlay icon you could "call" by tapping on the screen (as mentioned above). It would be a temporary display and when you close the picture (Android back button or dedicated button), you return to the previous kneeboard display.

It would avoid switching kneeboards while using reference map/cartography/whatever and accessing temporary details (target details, flight plan, reminders, etc.).

It could be a "temp" folder you feed with your current mission data or a selection of subfolders defined like the kneeboards folders?

There are plenty of solutions and ideas but I know it would be best to avoid too much complexity as the kneeboard should remain a quick reference tool. Keeping it simple should also save your free time significantly ;)

But, hey, it's a sim and we can hit the pause key if we're not struggling in multiplayer. :D

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Thanks Bourrinopathe, look forward to see most of those functions appear in the app =)

So... I successfully built a generic tiling system that cuts larger images up into sub-images that are equal to or smaller than the maximum GLES 2.0 texture size in your Android device...

Just to find out that my device already throws an out of VRAM exception with two max-size tiles... The tiling system will be implemented in the next version, but the max number of tiles is set to 1 =( 4096x4096 will remain the maximum supported image size. Larger images will be omitted by my file selector algorithm.

• 2 years later...

I wanted to reinstall it but it seems not available in the store anymore?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Sorry to confirm...apparently no longer available:(

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 1 year later...
Bump. Luckily, I still have it installed on my tablet.

Is there a way to "export" it for other people ?

This app is deadly simple and really really nice.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-install-apps-outside-of-google-play/

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Obviously the developper would need to realease the APK file. I don't think we can "export" it. It would kind of violate copyrights

• 8 months later...
Is this app still available or has it been discontinued?

Apparently no longer available.