Tacca's NVG mod for 2.5+

Good to see you still enjoy spending time improving your work!

Thanks Grand. I spent alot of time trying to get a DOF effect working within the NVG ring but my HLSL knowledge is holding me back from getting it to work.... so i thought I may as well make other improvements requested and will come back to the DOF when i get some motivation.

Hay Guys,

don't want to spoil the topic, just need some guidance among the many versions: could someone clarify which of this (or the predecessor) NVG mods can or should be used to World 1.2.X?

Another question: as the readme of this mod says:

"Make sure to edit DCS World/config/graphics and change PrecompiledEffects mode to"USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES" (Its already there, but commented out)."

My graphics.lua looks like:

PrecompiledEffects =

{

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

--mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

}

Does commented means the two dashes, so mine is already "enabled" for this mod?

Thanks

Hay Guys,

don't want to spoil the topic, just need some guidance among the many versions: could someone clarify which of this (or the predecessor) NVG mods can or should be used to World 1.2.X?

Another question: as the readme of this mod says:

"Make sure to edit DCS World/config/graphics and change PrecompiledEffects mode to"USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES" (Its already there, but commented out)."

My graphics.lua looks like:

PrecompiledEffects =

{

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

--mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

}

Does commented means the two dashes, so mine is already "enabled" for this mod?

Thanks

Hi Razor, the best one to use for 1.2 is http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=100333

Yes, -- means commented. Yes what you posted means should already be enabled.

thanx for a great mod, Frenchy! now, when you can change various parameters and shape of default NVGs, can you try to make us a sunglasses or a tinted visor (maybe even default shape will do)? there was already a thread about it earlier http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=152600

images.jpg.2f962ced6dba0c6dcb51575eb6738dd2.jpg

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

VID: MSI Nvidia RTX4070 12GB \ MON: Samsung ue49ks8000 49'', Lilliput 8'' x2

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

thanx for a great mod, Frenchy! now, when you can change various parameters and shape of default NVGs, can you try to make us a sunglasses or a tinted visor (maybe even default shape will do)? there was already a thread about it earlier http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=152600

[ATTACH]131592[/ATTACH]

Hey Backbone, thanks for the idea. It would probably be a bit more involved as it would require the creation of a command, key assignment, a whole new shader post effect and link the command/key within DCS to said shader. The only part I know how currently is the shader part.

On the other hand if you were happy to lose the NVG but gain glasses/visor it would be pretty easy. Im pretty flat out work wise at the moment (hospitality, summer school holidays in oz) so I wont get to this for probably a few weeks

Hey Backbone, thanks for the idea. It would probably be a bit more involved as it would require the creation of a command, key assignment, a whole new shader post effect and link the command/key within DCS to said shader. The only part I know how currently is the shader part.

On the other hand if you were happy to lose the NVG but gain glasses/visor it would be pretty easy. Im pretty flat out work wise at the moment (hospitality, summer school holidays in oz) so I wont get to this for probably a few weeks

great to hear that! maybe "easy way" should do for starters and then we can hope for more complex solution when you have a time. thank you for your work!:thumbup:

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

Since 1.5.2 is officialy out in the stable branch I'll be shifting from the original mod to this one. Great work Tacca, this makes night operations a lot more enjoyable, since the original effect is really lacking IMHO.

I do hope you reconsider the zooming aspect though, even with the switches displacement it looked awesome and added another layer of immersion.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried getting NVGs working on the A-10A since 1.5 came out? I've tried the configs posted here as well as directly copying them over from my A-10C to no avail.

No I haven't tried sorry. Not spending much time in the A10 at the moment

Yeah tacca. Superb mod you've made. Is on my Best-Of list :-)

Thanks, Nrgized showed they way. I just got it working in DX11 and cleaned up the code alot so I could understand it :)

If you desire a visor, copy the one from the MIG-21bis. It has a filter applied..

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

If you desire a visor, copy the one from the MIG-21bis. It has a filter applied..

can you provide a file? i don't have mig-21. need installation instructions as well, i think.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it work with Ka-50 (1.5)? I see something like this (too bright and no any noise):

DCS-2016-_sehpwwh.jpg

Where I must put this 0.08f for example?

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hi! How to make the blur on the edges?

As here:

yeah! very interesting!

Is it work with Ka-50 (1.5)? I see something like this (too bright and no any noise):

DCS-2016-_sehpwwh.jpg

Where I must put this 0.08f for example?

Ok, found.

After some test here my settings for Ka-50:

54a491d8f34d6761gen.jpg

S:\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\common\MOD_nvg.hlsl

// This value and the NVG intensity control (in game) controls the amount of gain of the NVG.

// Larger value means NVG is brighter. RECOMMENDED AT 0.10f and 0.08f

static const float NVG_LIFT[2] =

{ 0.10f, // A-10C

0.042f // KA-50

};

// Value controls intensity of noise as gain is increased. Larger value means less noise. Note that Russian NVG has more noise coded into it so value should be higher. RECOMMENDED AT 0.10f and 0.08f

// RECOMMENDED AT 3 and 4

static const float NVG_NOISE[2] =

{ 3, // A-10C

1.3 // KA-50

};

Btw. I use Redshade.

Version 2.0.6

Tacca, You have a bug in readme:

// Value controls intensity of noise as gain is increased. Larger value means less noise. Note that Russian NVG has more noise coded into it so value should be higher. RECOMMENDED AT 0.10f and 0.08f

Must be:

// Value controls intensity of noise as gain is increased. Larger value means less noise. Note that Russian NVG has more noise coded into it so value should be LOWER. RECOMMENDED AT 0.10f and 0.08f (???) RECOMMENDED AT 3 and 4.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hey, just a heads up. The "common" folder is in the wrong location in your 2.0.6 download version. It's in the "shaders" vs. the "Effects" folder. I couldn't get it to work in either 1.5 or 2.0 until I noticed the error and made the correction. Now it works great! Love the effects. Very close to what I experienced during my time using them in the military.

yeah! very interesting!

It's nice but not real, in the real world outside of tube you can see all focus, because use your normal eyes, it's inside the tube that you see the cockpit blurred but the HUD Focused. this is very hard to relicate in DCS.

thx everyone

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tacca, You have a bug in readme:

Must be:

// Value controls intensity of noise as gain is increased. Larger value means less noise. Note that Russian NVG has more noise coded into it so value should be LOWER. RECOMMENDED AT 0.10f and 0.08f (???) RECOMMENDED AT 3 and 4.

Hey Yoyo, yeah sorry that "RECOMMENDED AT 0.10f and 0.08f" shouldnt be there, old notes.

With regards to lower and higher what I have is correct, it comes down to how you interperet what I wrote (my intention was if you wanted to achieve similar noise levels in both scopes).

Increasing the value of noise variable reduces the amount of noise. If both the scopes are set to the same value the KA50 will have more noise because of how I coded it. Therefor if you want similar amount of noise in the A10 NVG and the KA50 the KA50 noise variable must be HIGHER than the A10 value.

Now if you want to increase the amount of noise overall then yes you have to lower the value.

Hi! How to make the blur on the edges?

As here:

Some people like the look and easy to do but is not realistic therefor I wont be implementing it.

Edited by tacca

Well, if you have them working on the Su-25 or Su-25T it should be the same method.

what?? I've done nothing with the su25???

As far as I am aware the only aircraft by default that have NVG's is the A10c, huey and ka50 (maybe mi8, i dont have it). This mod currently only modifies the default NVG. IT DOESN'T ADD it to other aircraft.

Some people had figured out how to do it back in 1.2 but it has changed since then off course. No one has made the effort to look over the old methods code (in old 1.2 thread) and seen how the new code is different. I might do it one day but its not my priority.

Hey, just a heads up. The "common" folder is in the wrong location in your 2.0.6 download version. It's in the "shaders" vs. the "Effects" folder. I couldn't get it to work in either 1.5 or 2.0 until I noticed the error and made the correction. Now it works great! Love the effects. Very close to what I experienced during my time using them in the military.

Hey Weatherman. just checked my download link and my own test version and both of them have the 'common' folder in the 'shaders' folder and it is coded to be this way. I just did a check in the lastest version of 2.0.1 and both work fine

Damien