Tacca's NVG mod for 2.5+

Hello there.how can i unzoom it?NVG is so close and i see all time through it.

Are you read this???

DCS 2.5 README

Based on requests from VR and multi monitor users I have picked this mod back up

Sorry to those that have waited a bit more than a week or two, been pretty busy with work.

Here is a Tacca's NVG mod for DCS 2.5

Version 1.2.0 - 27 March 2018

Change log

Added ability to change rendermode. 0 = full screen NVG, 1 = NVG without black ring and 2 = NVG with black ring. Default is set to Rendermode = 2

I seem to have stumbled upon a strange bug with this mod when using the CTLD JTAC with LASER and IR Pointer. Happened in and out of VR, and in multiple aircraft

On a side note, I'm waiting on the next gen VR, when it comes out I've got no problem sending you my headset.

Hey Shadow, Ill have a look when I get time but wont happen in the next couple of weeks sorry.

Hello there.how can i unzoom it?NVG is so close and i see all time through it.

Do you mean it is actually enlarging the image or is that the ring is too big or fullscreen? If it is the latter read the instructions in the first post.

Do you mean it is actually enlarging the image or is that the ring is too big or fullscreen? If it is the latter read the instructions in the first post.

I mean the NVG is full screen on VR.it all looks green

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I seem to have stumbled upon a strange bug with this mod when using the CTLD JTAC with LASER and IR Pointer. Happened in and out of VR, and in multiple aircraft

On a side note, I'm waiting on the next gen VR, when it comes out I've got no problem sending you my headset.

First of all thank you very much for this excellent mod Tacca! :thumbup:

I had something similar (large red blocks when lasers were involved).

I deleted the /MaterialFactory/laserbeam.hlsl and this solved it for me.

Also, it was the file failing IC for me, so since then I don't have a problem with IC and this mod anymore.

Not quite sure what that modified file does but for now I can live without it. Maybe give it a try.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

First of all thank you very much for this excellent mod Tacca! :thumbup:

I had something similar (large red blocks when lasers were involved).

I deleted the /MaterialFactory/laserbeam.hlsl and this solved it for me.

Also, it was the file failing IC for me, so since then I don't have a problem with IC and this mod anymore.

Not quite sure what that modified file does but for now I can live without it. Maybe give it a try.

Hey Ams, thanks for the update. the laserbeam.hlsl was fixing a masking issue when using the IR laser beam. More details can be seen here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2546081&postcount=38 but basically while the laser should be visible inside the NVG but not outside of it (it is IR light so not visible to the naked eye).

If deleting the laserbeam.hlsl fixes the flashing bug and you cant see the laser outside of the ring then ED have fixed/updated some of their code and its not needed anymore.:thumbup:

Cheers

Hi Tacca,

thanks for the explanation! Now that I know what the file is for I ran some tests and it seems nothing was changed in DCS.

With the mod's standard oval NVG and without the laserbeam.hlsl the beam doesn't quite reach the edge of the NVG to the sides (pics 1+2) and reaches over the NVG to the bottom (pic 3), maybe still expecting the round shape of the unmodded NVG.

This effect is fixed by your laserbeam.hlsl (4+5) but leads to weird effects (6).

Hopefully, you can find a fix for that down the line!

In all cases I can see the laser spot on the target outside the NVG (when the NVG is on) but that is the same in stock DCS, too.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

• 6 months later...
Tacca, Sorry for my ignorance but I am new to DCS. I have downloaded the mod but cannot find a reference for where I should place the files within the DCS package. Please can you advise, again sorry for my lack of knowledge.

The files and their folder structure must be put into the main DCS Bazar folder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Resizing

Need Help, I successfully reduced the height of the NVG goggle in the MOD so that I could see the instruments and cockpit ,FA-18, normally. The last update overwrote my settings and I cannot remember what I changed and where, all my efforts to re-produce have failed. Anyone offer help?

Need Help, I successfully reduced the height of the NVG goggle in the MOD so that I could see the instruments and cockpit ,FA-18, normally. The last update overwrote my settings and I cannot remember what I changed and where, all my efforts to re-produce have failed. Anyone offer help?

Hey Yeti, do the following

With the mod UNAPPLIED if you using JSGME/OVGME

Open “MOD FOLDER"\Tacca's NVG mod 1.2.0\Bazar\shaders\common\MOD_nvg.hlsl

adjust the below numbers in bold that are a few lines down in the file

//overall NVG postion and size
static const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.5f, [b]0.655f[/b]);  // SETS CENTER POINT OF NVG EFFECT ON SCREEN   			
static const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.47f, [b]0.75f[/b]);   // SETS X AND Y DIAMETER OF NVG (PERCENTAGE OF SCREEN)

save file

REAPPLY MOD

The first bold number sets the vertical center point of the nvg ring (.65 is 65% of the way up your screen)

the second bold number sets the vertical size of the nvg ring (.75 is 75% of the height of your screen)

Edited by tacca

I did what it says in posts here but, In VR (Reverb) I get such a small are at the bottom the is not using the NVG that it is of no use what do I do so I get that clear area at the bottom of my vision that I see in the screen shots

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I did what it says in posts here but, In VR (Reverb) I get such a small are at the bottom the is not using the NVG that it is of no use what do I do so I get that clear area at the bottom of my vision that I see in the screen shots

Hey Rephil, are you using JSGME, OVGME or just straight installing the mod into the DCS install folder?

Can you send me your MOD_nvg.hlsl file and I will take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

View Sizing

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but the edit makes no difference for me, screen is still all green. As I said earlier I have had them working correctly previously but now, since two updates ago, no editing seems to work. I have checked the file contents at both the OvGME source folder and also editied it in the programme file @ E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\common both show the figures quoted above but I still have a full green screen in my Index.

Can there be something else that is stopping that file being used?

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but the edit makes no difference for me, screen is still all green. As I said earlier I have had them working correctly previously but now, since two updates ago, no editing seems to work. I have checked the file contents at both the OvGME source folder and also editied it in the programme file @ E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\common both show the figures quoted above but I still have a full green screen in my Index.

Can there be something else that is stopping that file being used?

Regards

Hey, if the whole screen is green it might be the mode option. Make sure the following line (line 13 of MOD_nvg.hlsl) is set to =2

static const int RenderMode = 2;

Tacca NVG

I did checked that, the view through the headset is the same on all three options 0,1 & 2 with the settings supplied in you previous message. I must be doing something incorrectly as I have had them modded previously before updates.

I did checked that, the view through the headset is the same on all three options 0,1 & 2 with the settings supplied in you previous message. I must be doing something incorrectly as I have had them modded previously before updates.

Don’t feel bad, I played around with trying to adjust settings for my rift s yesterday and. O matter what I adjusted it remained the same after installing each time.

Hi All,

Thanks for the help but the problem remains. I have replaced the MOD_nvg file with a "good" copy from another contributor and although I can edit and save the settings, within the file, it does not reduce the size of the NVG goggles in VR. I still have a full green screen regardless of the settings, when I go back to the file my edit remains good.

Its very frustrating as I have had this working previously as I have stated before.