Tacca's NVG mod for 2.5+

I was able to get the mod to work by doing the following:

using notepad++ edit the following file:

Tacca's NVG Mod 1.2.0\Bazar\Shaders\PostEffects\NVD_HDR.fx

After Line 18 

add this: float noiseFactor;

It should look like this:

Line 18: float2 maskPos;        // x,y coords of mask?
Line 19: float noiseFactor;

Optional: (I like to be able to read my gauges and ddi while using the NVGs) 

I changed the follow line (80 or 81 )

#define FOCUS_DISTANCE 10.0

TO:

#define FOCUS_DISTANCE .50

This reduces the distance of the blurring effect but you can play with the numbers to see what works for you.

At this point you can save the file and reapply the mod and all is good again.  It appears they are requiring the noiseFactor Object 

Enjoy

Falcon JFT-191 

• Thanks 8

MSI Creator X299 - INTEL i9 - 10900X 3.7 GHZ - 32 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 - EVGA GTX 1080 FTW AC2

Yup! The night time has returned to its beauty now.

BTW, is there a way to lower the noise, I use the excellent 3DIMGOTO and it seems to do nothing.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Not sure on the noise it should be line 137 or around there  

result += color * noise3((i.projPos.xy*0.5+0.5) * 400, gModelTime * 10) * noiseFactor;    //bringing in noise function? Noise3 uses noise2 which uses noise1

the one thing i did not do is add the * noiseFactor which probably should be done.  I will have t play with it to understand whati it is doing.

• Like 2

MSI Creator X299 - INTEL i9 - 10900X 3.7 GHZ - 32 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 - EVGA GTX 1080 FTW AC2

21 hours ago, MTrenda said:

Je ne suis pas sûr du bruit, ça devrait être la ligne 137 ou autour de là  

résultat += couleur * noise3((i.projPos.xy*0.5+0.5) * 400, gModelTime * 10) * noiseFactor ; //Apporter une fonction de bruit ? Noise3 utilise noise2 qui utilise noise1

la seule chose que je n'ai pas faite est d'ajouter le * noiseFactor qui devrait probablement être fait. Je vais devoir jouer avec pour comprendre ce qu'il fait.

works with this modification:

result += color * noise3((i.projPos.xy*0.0+0.5) * 400, gModelTime * 0) ;

1 hour ago, damienntrix said:
works with this modification:

result += color * noise3((i.projPos.xy*0.0+0.5) * 400, gModelTime * 0) ;

I only want to reduce circle area covered by NVG in VR. This line could modified in some of the original files? where?

i want more contrast on NVG, wich line need to modified?

THX

For the Reduce the Circle in VR try this

static const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.5f, 0.5f); // SETS X AND Y DIAMETER OF NVG (PERCENTAGE OF SCREEN)     VR(0.8f, 0.7f)        Tacca Circle (0.47f, 0.75f) Tacca Wide (0.83f, 0.98f)

line 9 inside Tacca's NVG mod 1.2.0\Bazar\shaders\common nvg_MOD file

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, MTrenda said:

After Line 18 

TO:

This reduces the distance of the blurring effect but you can play with the numbers to see what works for you.

At this point you can save the file and reapply the mod and all is good again.  It appears they are requiring the noiseFactor Object 

Enjoy

Falcon JFT-191 

awesome!

good job!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In VR (G2 using OpenXR) is it possible to have the 2 circles fully overlaping to have like only one circle?

I have played with many variable but not fing how to do it.

Thanks for your time

• 3 months later...

I'm not having any luck getting the NVG mod to work.  The fact that a mod is necessary to be able to see the instrument panel should be an embarrassment to ED.  While the depiction of what the world looks like under NVG isn't bad, never once in a thousand hours of NVG flying would I have taken off without first adjusting the tube position (upward in this case) to be able to see the panel.  Should be a basic option to move the NVG circle up, and/or reduce it's vertical measure.  Can't believe this is a difficult thing to do.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 9:26 AM, Cpt Cuckoo said:

This entire thread is an abortion.  I'll bet nobody knows what's going on here.  If this gadget still operates ..the OP should completely revamp and simplify this.

Wrong.  ED should simplify this.  Tacca made a simple fix to allow people to adjust the 'NVG' relative to their 'eye' position on an ever changing platform.  ED continues to ignore the fact that the NVGs obscure most of their instrument panels.  Either ED happily ignores the fundamentals of NVG adjustment in favor of chasing a buck, or Tacca (while he was active here) was a better coder than the sum of ED.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Krondl said:

I'm not having any luck getting the NVG mod to work.  The fact that a mod is necessary to be able to see the instrument panel should be an embarrassment to ED.  While the depiction of what the world looks like under NVG isn't bad, never once in a thousand hours of NVG flying would I have taken off without first adjusting the tube position (upward in this case) to be able to see the panel.  Should be a basic option to move the NVG circle up, and/or reduce it's vertical measure.  Can't believe this is a difficult thing to do.

Works fine for me and many others, are you installing in the main game folder (NOT the saved games folder!). And I agree with everything you just said about ED

• 1 month later...

does anyone know what settings effect the convergence of the 2 'eye pieces'? I'm trying to dial in my Pimax headset and right now the 2 tubes really overlap too much. I'd like to push out the convergence of the effect. 

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

• 2 weeks later...

hi all. does someone have the actual latest version of this mod anywhere? this whole thread is too long to find it 😉
i tried it with the link in the first post, and it instacrashes my DCS when i switch to NVG

i followed all instructions in the OP

thanks

hace 1 hora, IceyJones dijo:

hi all. does someone have the actual latest version of this mod anywhere? this whole thread is too long to find it 😉
i tried it with the link in the first post, and it instacrashes my DCS when i switch to NVG

thanks

Yeah, same here.

4 minutes ago, hrode said:

Yeah, same here.

1 hour ago, IceyJones said:

thanks

Download here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321955/ it's a excellent mod highly recommend it,  it improves the nvgs greatly.

En 26/3/2022 a las 0:56, MTrenda dijo:

After Line 18 

TO:

Enjoy

Falcon JFT-191 

I solved the crash problem in 2.8 by following this process. only try in f16c

Edited by hrode

Great Mod and it still works for me in 2.8. I use the VR option

Screen_221102_193509.jpg

I'm using it through Open Mod Manager as well, followed the instructions and managed to adjust the ring size to get as good an overlap as possible and still see the instruments underneath. These are my settings in the MOD_NVG_HLSL File

NVG Settings.jpg

And settings in NVD_HDRfx line 18 and 19

NVG Settings2.jpg

And again line 81

NVG Settings1.jpg

Should all work after this.

• Like 2

Asus Dark Hero X570, AMD 5800x Oc to 5ghz on 2 cores, RX6900XT Reference Oc to 2700mhz+MPT, All on Custom Water Loop, 3600 CL15 XMP, 2xCrucial P5P 1T M2, Hotas Warthog, Reverb G2,

Latest DCS Open Beta and VR only

A10CII and AH64D, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Caucasus