Tacca's NVG mod for 2.5+

HELP needed for laser beam

Hey eveyone, hoping a DCS hog driver can help me out. Looking through the thread on the original mod I believe I have made the same mistake and broken the mask of laser beams like this picture from this post.

It should be an easy fix but I dont want to fix something that isnt broken :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=83397&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1370873962

If someone with the A10 would so kindly apply my mod, get there laser going and take a screenshot similar to the one above and post it here It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Frenchy

static const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.5f, 0.575f); // SETS CENTER POINT OF NVG EFFECT ON SCREEN

static const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.478125f, 0.85f); // SETS X AND Y DIAMETER OF NVG (PERCENTAGE OF SCREEN)

Let me see if I get this:

I am running 1920px * 1080px. I want a circle (so both X & Y diameters need to be the same) which takes up 85% of the height of my screen. 0.85 of 1080px is 918px. 918px of 1920px is 0.478125.

Horizontally I want the circle in the middle of the screen, so the center point needs to be 50% offset from the left screen border. Vertically I want the top of the circle to snap against the top of the screen. Half of 918px is 459px. 1080px minus 459px is 621px. 621px of 1080px is 57.5%, so the center of the circle needs to be offset 57.5% from the bottom.

Correct?

Frenchy, I did some messing around and I think I've got the hang of changing the shape/size and position of the goggle.

One thing I can't fix though is what the night vision overview does with the HUD font. By itself the HUD font is very rough and aliased. The vanilla night vision amplifies this even more, but your overlay amplifies this to a level that it becomes unreadable, especially during very dark nights where you have to turn up the brightness a lot.

I know the old 1.2.X NVG mod had the same issue, but to a lesser extent than yours. Can you replicate it and/or do you think there is a solution? I'm confident it's not your mod causing it, it's just increasing an annoyance that is already there by default, both in 1.2.X and 1.5.

PS I noticed your mod has more grain added compared to the old one, perhaps there is a relation between the level of grain and the HUD font becoming less readable?

Let me see if I get this:

I am running 1920px * 1080px. I want a circle (so both X & Y diameters need to be the same) which takes up 85% of the height of my screen. 0.85 of 1080px is 918px. 918px of 1920px is 0.478125.

Horizontally I want the circle in the middle of the screen, so the center point needs to be 50% offset from the left screen border. Vertically I want the top of the circle to snap against the top of the screen. Half of 918px is 459px. 1080px minus 459px is 621px. 621px of 1080px is 57.5%, so the center of the circle needs to be offset 57.5% from the bottom.

Correct?

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, thankyou for reading the old instructions and trying the math yourself :)

Above is correct :)

Frenchy, I did some messing around and I think I've got the hang of changing the shape/size and position of the goggle.

One thing I can't fix though is what the night vision overview does with the HUD font. By itself the HUD font is very rough and aliased. The vanilla night vision amplifies this even more, but your overlay amplifies this to a level that it becomes unreadable, especially during very dark nights where you have to turn up the brightness a lot.

I know the old 1.2.X NVG mod had the same issue, but to a lesser extent than yours. Can you replicate it and/or do you think there is a solution? I'm confident it's not your mod causing it, it's just increasing an annoyance that is already there by default, both in 1.2.X and 1.5.

PS I noticed your mod has more grain added compared to the old one, perhaps there is a relation between the level of grain and the HUD font becoming less readable?

Most likely, not everything from the original code has been implemented yet. Also some parts of the code were giving new/unexpected results, especially in the noise and re sampling parts so this is probably contributing to it. I will have a look at it a bit today but the next few days Im pretty busy so the updates will slow down a little.

first of all, awesome work, I missed the great NVG mod

but I have a question. The old one was able to work with the A-10A, the Su-25, the Su-25T, etc.

Any chance this mod would eventually work for other aircraft? Right now it only works for the Ka-50 and UH-1H for me (I don't have the A-10C). It would be awesome to eventually be able to use it for all aircraft if we wanted, even ones like the MiG-21 or the Su-27, anything that has A2G capability.

first of all, awesome work, I missed the great NVG mod

but I have a question. The old one was able to work with the A-10A, the Su-25, the Su-25T, etc.

Any chance this mod would eventually work for other aircraft? Right now it only works for the Ka-50 and UH-1H for me (I don't have the A-10C). It would be awesome to eventually be able to use it for all aircraft if we wanted, even ones like the MiG-21 or the Su-27, anything that has A2G capability.

Hey Harnis, will look into it, its not my top priority at the moment. To get working with other aircraft you have to modify each aircraft's \"aircraft name"\input\"aircraft name"\keyboard\default.lua to include the code to turn on/off and adjust gain of the NVG. see HERE

Awesome work tacca. You know if possible with the new dx11 engine use the blur effect for put the cockpit blurred in the ring of the NVG like in the real like??? it will be perfect and REAL.

Nice work man.

Hi Giaco, its the same issue as was described to you in the old thread. The game needs to be outputting the z buffer (distance from eyepoint) for every pixel that is going to be rendered in order to get that working. I have no idea if DCS does that and wouldn't have any idea where to start looking. This whole mod is already pushing the limits of my code knowledge and learning...

NVG ring size

hi tacca, in the file can we edit, if possible to change the thickness of black border in the render type 2?? it's to much slim. thx a lots for your outstanding works

Hi Giaco.

Yes it is, at the moment Im working on a rewrite of the code to better enable this.

Due to work and other commitments the next update wont be for another couple of days though.

Do you have personal experience with these NVG's?? would be great to hear about how they perform.

Hi Giaco, its the same issue as was described to you in the old thread. The game needs to be outputting the z buffer (distance from eyepoint) for every pixel that is going to be rendered in order to get that working. I have no idea if DCS does that and wouldn't have any idea where to start looking. This whole mod is already pushing the limits of my code knowledge and learning...

Someone pointed me in the direction of something that might work.

Dont expect anything soon on this though, maybe a few weeks at least

Thank you so much tacca :thumbup:

Great piece of work

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Hey eveyone, hoping a DCS hog driver can help me out. Looking through the thread on the original mod I believe I have made the same mistake and broken the mask of laser beams like this picture from this post.

It should be an easy fix but I dont want to fix something that isnt broken :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=83397&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1370873962

If someone with the A10 would so kindly apply my mod, get there laser going and take a screenshot similar to the one above and post it here It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Frenchy

Frenchy,

First, thanks for this awesome work. It's most appreciated.

Second, I loaded up version 2.0.4 and tested the IR pointer. The IR pointer is showing up red outside the NVG field-of-view when the NVGs are on. When functioning correctly, you should not see anything where the red part is. The rest is correct (green inside the FOV). With the NVGs off, nothing shows which is correct.

PMVqmif.jpg

Edited by Tex

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey ron, not 100% sure how that is happening. Im a poor uni student with a single 1650 * 1080 monitor so not sure how to recreate the problem. It will most likely have to do with the perceived position of the MFD when you capture/export the data.

1st I want you to check what happens as you turn the nvg gain down, im hoping the MFD will become visible and eventually turn black as the gain goes to 0. If it does then its a mask problem.

The NVG use a mask to apply the effect (like photoshop layers) that is calculated procedurally. ie if this pixel (x,y) is inside this area (defined using equations for ellipses) then apply the effect, if outside this area do nothing. It will be a matter of figuring out why the mask is getting applied....

Just clearing up here, I've re-tested (with 2.04) and the issue I was talking about reproduces in the Huey. In the A-10 the MFD screens are ok (the 4th monitor).

Tnx!

Callsign   SETUP

Hey Harnis, will look into it, its not my top priority at the moment. To get working with other aircraft you have to modify each aircraft's \"aircraft name"\input\"aircraft name"\keyboard\default.lua to include the code to turn on/off and adjust gain of the NVG. see HERE

yeah I tried that method but it didn't seem to work.

Either way, awesome job getting the mod working again in 1.5

Frenchy,

First, thanks for this awesome work. It's most appreciated.

Second, I loaded up version 2.0.4 and tested the IR pointer. The IR pointer is showing up red outside the NVG field-of-view when the NVGs are on. When functioning correctly, you should not see anything where the red part is. The rest is correct (green inside the FOV). With the NVGs off, nothing shows which is correct.

Thanks Tex, just what I expected, working on a fix for it :)

Just clearing up here, I've re-tested (with 2.04) and the issue I was talking about reproduces in the Huey. In the A-10 the MFD screens are ok (the 4th monitor).

Tnx!

Can you please take a screen shot of in the A10 and in the huey, you've lost me a little bit with this last comment. Does it work fine in the A10 or are you still having problems???

yeah I tried that method but it didn't seem to work.

Either way, awesome job getting the mod working again in 1.5

Okay, on my to do list. Thanks for testing :)

ps, waiting for my DCS to update before I can do anymore testing. damm u slow aussie internets...

Thanks Tex, just what I expected, working on a fix for it :)

Can you please take a screen shot of in the A10 and in the huey, you've lost me a little bit with this last comment. Does it work fine in the A10 or are you still having problems???

In the A10 there are no problems.

In the Huey, the 4th monitor turns all bright with NVG on, with this mod.

Callsign   SETUP

Hi Giaco.

Yes it is, at the moment Im working on a rewrite of the code to better enable this.

Due to work and other commitments the next update wont be for another couple of days though.

Do you have personal experience with these NVG's?? would be great to hear about how they perform.

yes tacca, i use the anvs-9 NVG and if you need ask me every things you want. I notice that the NVG perform more better in hold engine (1.2). In the new 1.5 the light amplification of NVG it's very poor, real for a 1st generation of night vision devices (like in ka-50) but not real for a 3rd gen NVG tube like anvs-9 (es: in the A-10). In this case the DCS 1.2 Perform more better than 1.5

Thx tacca.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you mean by poor light amplification that lit objects should create brighter/white spots on the night vision?

In DCS 1.5 with the NVG at Max Gain, i cant see very well the ground. In the real life with the half moon or a 1/4 of moon i fly at night like day. The DCS NVG is to much dark.

http://www.dutchaviationsupport.eu/2010/1-%20PenV/DHC%20Gilze%20Rijen/1-%20APACHE/HOT%20REFILL/NVG%20%282%29.jpg

In this photo probably the moon in sky is full, but if i put the full moon in DCS the result is not the same.

thx a lots :thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the A10 there are no problems.

In the Huey, the 4th monitor turns all bright with NVG on, with this mod.

can you please take a screen shot of in the A10 and in the huey,

what do you normally have displayed on the 4th screen when in the huey?? as above, screenshots please....

In DCS 1.5 with the NVG at Max Gain, i cant see very well the ground. In the real life with the half moon or a 1/4 of moon i fly at night like day. The DCS NVG is to much dark.

http://www.dutchaviationsupport.eu/2010/1-%20PenV/DHC%20Gilze%20Rijen/1-%20APACHE/HOT%20REFILL/NVG%20%282%29.jpg

In this photo probably the moon in sky is full, but if i put the full moon in DCS the result is not the same.

thx a lots :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for the input giaco. Should be an easy change of 1 number but will need some testing.

Version 2.0.5 Released.

See Here for file and full release notes

- user controllable ring size

- fixed laser mask issue (possible bug in DCS laser shader as well)

- no change to NVG brightness yet, will be in next release

Hi Frenchy, just wanted to add my thanks and appreciation for bringing the original NVG mod into 1.5. Looking good so far.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.