Replacement of Potentiometer in Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Yes. I've just had a surplus of ALPS joysticks for a different project and it was a pure coincidence that the pots were an almost perfect fit for a Saitek. Do you need any details of the process? Actually the replacement is quite straightforward.

To be precise, the working angle with ALPS pots is just a bit smaller so that at the maximum position of the lever there is a deadzone of approx. 3-5 mm, but in practice it doesn't make any difference.

Edited by Sergey_Pe

And that it was cheap, and very much longer lasting, possibly better quality pot, like a CH or Thrustmaster pot ?

Per specs ALPS RKJXV mini-stick pot' has 133x better (theoretica)l lifespan than pot used in Saitek.

BTW - Pot that Thrustmster use are crap like the ones in Saitek/Logitech, see all the complains about T.16000M twist rudder pot giving issues few mounts of use.

Kinda makes me wonder about the market for a long-lasting precise competitor to this... maybe using Hall or Magneto Resistive sensors instead of cheap pots?

I suspect that even the recently released Honeycomb throttle still using potentiometers.

Contactless sensor is cheap ($1-3), but since pot is even more ~$0.10-0.30 manufactures continue using.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Hmm, was hoping for a better outcom on this.

Seems like the results aren't yet certain, if I understand it was just tried this weekend... but this is potentiometrically good news!

:) Of course time will tell, but in all my engineering experience (about 40 years) ALPS was always delivering on their quality promises.

I suspect that even the recently released Honeycomb throttle still using potentiometers.

Contactless sensor is cheap ($1-3), but since pot is even more ~$0.10-0.30 manufactures continue using.

For sure they do. Price constraints are always very critical for mass-produced gear. Honeycomb yoke has a linear pot as the pich axis sensor; they were putting a high-quality Bourns PTF pot with 100K cycles lifetime into the prototypes, but in the production version there is a standard one with about 15K...

Back to Saitek throttle- I thought about using a contactless sensor, putting in an AS5600 in analog mode (so that a stock controller can be used). However the space inside is extremely limited which would require the additional modifications, and if ALPS resistors work up to their lifetime specs (I don't see why they shouldn't)- why bother with anything else?

Kinda makes me wonder about the market for a long-lasting precise competitor to this... maybe using Hall or Magneto Resistive sensors instead of cheap pots?

I've forget, GVL224 can make this with MagREz sensor, and their metal, bearings "mechanics".

I've forget, GVL224 can make this with MagREz sensor, and their metal, bearings "mechanics".

True. But pricey, although you can order practically any configuration according to your own layout. And the built quality is perfect- I'm using his flaps control mechanism, it's excellent.

IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.eb1fb9819486336af8fbc70d1228598f.JPG

:) Of course time will tell, but in all my engineering experience (about 40 years) ALPS was always delivering on their quality promises.

Hmm, I believe you! Just found out they make the Alpine brand car stereos, or used to anyway! Those last a long time in harsh conditions...

Anyone know what kind of resolution does this put out? Meaning how many "steps" does it detect/send to the computer?

Anyone know what kind of resolution does this put out? Meaning how many "steps" does it detect/send to the computer?

256 steps in total- this is the resolution of Saitek controller. When you use a regular potentiometer (or an analog Hall sensor) the resolution fully depends on an ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) at the controller's input. But to utilize this resolution you need to ensure that the sensor provides a full power supply voltage range to the input. If it is less than the resolution will degrade proportionally. This is why its's very important to use a pot with the same working angle as the original one- smaller angle will reduce a throttle lever's working zone, bigger angle will degrade the resolution which is already small with a Saitek.

Russian simmer installs hall sensors in the Saitek Throttle Quadrant

:thumbup:

Yes, but it requires changing the controller as well. However it will give you better resolution- minimum 10 bit or 1024 steps with MMJoy2 controller that this guy is using. And this controller is way more flexible compared with Saitek. You can put in the additional buttons, play with the axis parameters etc.

He has also installied the magnet, cutting an upper part of the lever bearing. This will lead to an additional "play" of the lever as the leftover part wouldn't sit tightly in the bearing anymore. You'll need to put some additional bushing there which again raises the question- is Saitek's plastic mechanics worth the extra effort?

Initially I planned to put a different hall sensor there- AS5600. It can be calibrated individually to provide the full voltage swing to the existing controller and the body size is even less than KM2100 in the video. Still you need to fiddle with the magnet and the bearing- possible but doesn't make sense in my opinion...

Edited by Sergey_Pe

• 10 months later...

Well, I've finally installed an AS5600 magnetic sensor into Saitek throttle. A small round magnet (approximately the diameter of a lever bearing which was cut flush with the lever body) was super-glued to the lever, working as a new bearing. A small circular PCB with AS5600 was hot-glued in place of a stock resistor as seen on the picture. Then AS5600 was calibrated to provide a full output voltage swing within a lever movement angle. Of course it works like a charm, as expected. The trick is to find a a magnet with the appropriate diameter (I had one as a leftover from one of the old projects).

1623604586308.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, Sergey_Pe said:

Well, I've finally installed an AS5600 magnetic sensor into Saitek throttle. A small round magnet (approximately the diameter of a lever bearing which was cut flush with the lever body) was super-glued to the lever, working as a new bearing. A small circular PCB with AS5600 was hot-glued in place of a stock resistor as seen on the picture. Then AS5600 was calibrated to provide a full output voltage swing within a lever movement angle. Of course it works like a charm, as expected. The trick is to find a a magnet with the appropriate diameter (I had one as a leftover from one of the old projects).

1623604586308.jpg

What is your programming process for 3 wired more? Tried to do it and bricked 3 sensors