DCS Now A Slide Show

Having the page file on an SSD is actually the reason why people are having stuttering in the first place, so it should be on a regular hard disk or a RAMDISK because SSD trimming is apparently doing it.

Also, the issues right now have nothing to do with the page file seemingly, me and a few others have tested without page file / it on RAMDISK or HDD and it's no use.

Again, the issues started with the latest hotfixes.

Interesting. Have you got a source for the claim that the page file being on an SSD will cause problems due to trimming, as if that were true I'd think the same would apply to game files being on an SSD and if that were true, there's not much point to them?

Certainly I wouldn't be surprised to see problems if DCS was paging to a HDD pagefile, as they're so slow in comparison to RAM. Of course, SSDs are still a lot slower than RAM but much faster than HDDs in both transfer speeds and access times, so I would expect less issues, if any, with the pagefile on them.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

best just to leave the PF set as the default for Windows 7

fixed PF worked a treat in XP and earlier

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

best just to leave the PF set as the default for Windows 7

fixed PF worked a treat in XP and earlier

Agreed.

I have my OS and program files on SSD ( C), and my games on another SSD. Page file windows managed ( 8.1 64 bit) on C.

I have yet to see any stuttering in 1.5

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Interesting. Have you got a source for the claim that the page file being on an SSD will cause problems due to trimming, as if that were true I'd think the same would apply to game files being on an SSD and if that were true, there's not much point to them?

Certainly I wouldn't be surprised to see problems if DCS was paging to a HDD pagefile, as they're so slow in comparison to RAM. Of course, SSDs are still a lot slower than RAM but much faster than HDDs in both transfer speeds and access times, so I would expect less issues, if any, with the pagefile on them.

Sorry, but you'd have to unfortunately dig that up yourself, since I have to go for a bit. I can't stand the stuttering at all with paging file on an SSD, which is why I have to put up a ramdisk for it.

You're perfectly right in assuming that the SSD would speed things up, but it's been years since people discovered that it's actually behind the stuttering. It may vary greatly because SSD firmware defines the trim commands differently hence many users don't experience this issue because of their SSD manufacture.

I don't know your GPU, but try pulling on the stick rapidly ingame back and forth and see if it responds with a ~0.2 second input lag, I suspect your performance issues still exist. At least I have a lot of input lag which is hard to make out first, but ruins the experience of flying, especially with TrackIR which feels like moving your head through jelly.

LOL, I can't believe that I didn't have that in the signature!

It's a GTX-970 with all the latest drivers.

As was explained before, this problem was not happening prior to the patch.

I've never seen stuttering like that and I make hard turns all the time.

But it looks like it's mostly gone after the procedure I stated.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, everything was working much better until this most recent patch, 1.5.1.47025, so whatever the dev's are doing is actually making the problem worse. And this is after a clean install. So what I ended up doing is turning the preload radius down to 80,000 meters and trees up to 20,000 meters and it helped a little bit but the stuttering is still present when I zoom in as close as I can get. The stuttering is extremely bad at that point. When I zoom back out it gets better again.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

just asking: is your HDD LED indicating heavy drive action while you play ?

If yes, open Ressource Monitor and track it down what and why your HD has I/O overload and got heavy into backlog. Since you run HDD's as you mentioned it could have many reasons, one of them the present memory leak constantly causing i/o on the disk(s) if it writes to s SF until RAM and SF are filled and then crashes.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

just asking: is your HDD LED indicating heavy drive action while you play ?

If yes, open Ressource Monitor and track it down what and why your HD has I/O overload and got heavy into backlog. Since you run HDD's as you mentioned it could have many reasons, one of them the present memory leak constantly causing i/o on the disk(s) if it writes to s SF until RAM and SF are filled and then crashes.

I prefer not to experiment around with different settings or configurations. The developers and moderators have stated that they want raw information. I leave it up to them to figure out what the problem is and fix it.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well my performance is back where it was with this latest fix. I do get the occasional stutter at beginning of mission but after a few minutes its smooth as butter again.

Edited by nigelmcelwee

Core i7 7700K @ 4.5

GTX 1080ti OC 11gb DDR 5

16 GB pc 3200 DDR with XMP

Crucial 500GB SSD

Crucial 1TB SSD

Asus 31.5" @ 1920x1080

Track IR

Thurstmaster pedals

Thurstmaster HOTAS Warthog

Have you tried cleaning out your appdata/local/dcs world openbeta folder?

Yeah, it's empty.

But an interesting note. I was just on the Mudspike flyin server and it was very smooth. One of the guys said that it could be mission related. I've been using the same mission to test everything so maybe I'll do another mission and see what happens.

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, it's empty.

But an interesting note. I was just on the Mudspike flyin server and it was very smooth. One of the guys said that it could be mission related. I've been using the same mission to test everything so maybe I'll do another mission and see what happens.

I can't prove this but I have had more reliable results if after saving a mission in the ME, I close DCS World completely and re-open it before running the mission. Just a theory.

Coming from a CoreDuo@2,66 MHz with a GTX460 AMP!, I upgraded my gaming rig with a new Z170 Mainboard, i5 6600K and 16 GB RAM and a GTX 970 yesterday.

That gave about 88 fps and a fluid feeling in the first A-10C Mission (as my reference for testing all sliders to the max).

This morning I decided to do a clean install of Win 10 and DCS world 1.5. as I just had taken my old ssd with the DCS installation and plugged it in the new system.

Astonishing 120-130 fps (all maxed)!

So maybe the clean install is a valid cure for people suffering from the "slide-show" feeling with the latest patches/ hotfixes.

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

I built a new mission with just a couple objects in it for a simple training mission and it's doing the exact same thing, bad stuttering all the time especially when I use the zoom in.

I think that until it becomes official, the only solution for me anyhow, is to just do a full uninstall and a clean install from scratch each time there's a patch. I'm not going to do that though. I'll put up with the stutter for now until the official release is out.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just to add...not running sli or crossfire. Before patch I was locked at 60 fps high settings no matter what I threw at the Sim. After the patch though turning the plane and/or turning my head with trackir on causes wild fluctuations in fps which causes a large stutter present.

Yes, same with me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check out how much VRAM DCS is using if you are experiencing stutters (ctrl+pause 2 times), if you get more than the VRAM that your card has you are bound to have issues. I was getting 11GB VRAM usage on the 104th DCS server earlier, which points to a major VRAM leak issue.

I can verify that since this latest patch (1.5.1.47285)that the stuttering is mostly gone and that the problem with the trees shimmering and semi-transparent vehicles in BHOT and WHOT mode have been fixed!

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I can confirm with trackIR on when turning or looking around my FPS jumps wildly from 45 to 60 to 30 to 50 to 60 all over the place. Massive stutter.

Hi I have a stupid question: How do you know your current frame rate?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hi I have a stupid question: How do you know your current frame rate?

Got to MSI and install their "MSI Afterburner" Software, it runs with all cards !

It gives you all info you need about 3D subsystem and more, quasi standard for 3D tuning.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Press Left CTRL key and PAUSE/BREAK key.

Thanks that's useful!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5