Radar jamming filters

BravoYankee4

The RP-22SM SAPFIR radar is equipped with some jamming filters: CONTINIOUS, INTERMITTENT and PASSIVE. So with this thread I just wanted to highlight the different effects with passive and active radar jamming.

In this video (

) with recorded real life radar images from the cold war era (60’s-80’s) you can see activities over the Baltic sea. There are several simulated attacks on Sweden (within international airspace) and also some breaches of Swedish borders. There are also examples of SR-71 Blackbirds, different NATO surveillance aircrafts (like the Nimrod) and also the first encounter with the SU-27 among many other things...

The video is in Swedish but here you have some details about this specific part:

Baltic sea, 1984, August 9

There was a big Soviet exercise involving almost 100 aircrafts (20 * SU-24 Fencer, 15 * TU-16 Badger & 6 * AN-12 and SU-15 Flagon fighters).

During this exercise we see good examples of both passive and active radar jamming.

Starting at 19:52 - Passive jamming with chaffs (AN-12)

Starting at 20:11 - Active jamming (TU-16)

During this time a Soviet SU-15 was chasing a civilian airliner in over Swedish territory (Gotland), however denied by them and causing some political arguments. Eventually it was regarded (by Swedish military) as an GCI error on the Soviet side giving the fighter vectors to the wrong aircraft (the airliner, not the SU-24’s it was supposed to attack).

With chaffs we are talking about long passages with metal foils that are several kilometers long and wide.

Please let me know if there is anything else in this video that needs to be translated.

P.S This video has been listed before in other topics, so I am not claiming any new findings and so on :).

CONTINIUOS is for active jamming (transmitted/electronic), and PASSIVE is for passive (chaff/metal etc). However I'm uncertain about INTERMITENT if it is cycling on/off for active(#1) or alternating between passive and active (#2).

#1 according to this page: http://www.flyshark.republika.pl/Samoloty_pliki/merlin.htm

#2 according to Chucks MIG-21 guide

Someone from Leatherneck might chime in regarding how this is modeled/simulated compared to the real life radar.

Edited by BravoYankee4

As far as I know the only filter that does anything is Active and Intermittent. From Chuck's guide it supposedly switches between active and passive.

Only jamming I've ever seen is Active (from ECM jammers). Chaff doesn't seem to show up on the radar. (Chaff in general needs improvement, it doesn't make you drop a radar lock, and it's in these weird little balls. Would prefer if certain planes could dump a TON of chaff that shows up on radar)

Right, the small chaffs that a fighter drops in order to deflect missiles is one thing. The examples in the video is larger "clouds" that are kilometers wide/long with the purpose to blind the enemies GCI and so on. This would be interesting to have simulated in DCS.

In what level the smaller chaffs are simulated in general and for the MIG-21 radar would indeed be interesting to have some details about.

but if chaffs are released in DCS as bubbles (excuse me), then the kilometers stands from such bubbles bursting into large quantities....

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Right, the small chaffs that a fighter drops in order to deflect missiles is one thing. The examples in the video is larger "clouds" that are kilometers wide/long with the purpose to blind the enemies GCI and so on. This would be interesting to have simulated in DCS.

In what level the smaller chaffs are simulated in general and for the MIG-21 radar would indeed be interesting to have some details about.

This is a game changer.... simulating this, you could open corridors. So more navigation skills, and more inmersion

I had a Polish colleague helping me to translate the manual and here is his answer. Please note that he has no technical area knowledge and is not aware of standard terms etc, i.e just translated:

zapytanie - włącza układ identyfikacji celu "swój-obcy"

Inquire – Turn on the target identification system “Ours-stranger"

msc - wyłącza układ selekcji prędkości w czasie atakowania celów lecących z małą prędkością.

msc – Turn off the speed selection system while attacking flying targets at low speed.

kontrola - włącza układ kontroli stacji ( jest to automatyczne sprawdzenie wszystkich układów czy stacja jest sprawna ).

Self-check – Turn on the self-check system (automatically check the station if all the systems are working)

zrzut - przełącza stację z dowolnego zakresu pracy na zakres "obserwacji", a także zrzuca przechwycony przez pilota cel ( np. cel przechwycony omyłkowo ).

disengage – switches the station to “observation” range from any other range set, it also drops any locked target (e.g. target locked by mistake)

meteo - włącza układ ochrony przed zakłóceniami meteorologicznymi ( odbicia od chmur itp. ).

meteo – enables weather anti clutter systems (cloud reflections etc.)

pass - włącza układ ochrony przed zakłóceniami pasywnymi.

pass – enables the passive interference filter

przerywane - włącza układ ochrony przed zakłóceniami przerywanymi aktywnymi i pasywnymi.

interruptive – enables the active interrupted and passive filter

nieprzerywane - włącza układ ochrony przed zakłóceniami ciągłymi.

uninterrupted – enables the constant interference filter.

There is one little detail that got my attention:

"enables the active interrupted and passive filter"

So based on that, INTERMITTENT should be turning on and off both PASSIVE and ACTIVE filters.