Anyone got a chart showing F15 radar cone FOV

pr1malr8ge

Looking for possible Radar cone. Trying to figure out if someone is "cheating"

Had someone last night in an f15 that I could not see on radar pull a 180* turn while diving at 5,000ft and sub 10miles. He then pulled up and simultaneously fired at me [i was at 50,000ft and directly above him at that point].

Trying to figure out if in vert scan at that close of range can pickup the altitude gap.

I can tell by how he reacted he knew exactly where I was before he turned 180* and fired on me. [confirmed via tacview] I attached a crude jpg of what I think the radar cones should look like.

When he killed me, he told me that I flew past him and he saw me. In the tacview that never happened at least not till after his first missile missed.

>-

-<

radar.jpg.f865e1a64dfee2333e5aa1bfc084ace5.jpg

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Assuming 45,000 ft of separation, that's 8.5nm. So vertical scan works. Along with the combination of clear sky and zoom, you'd be very much visible. That's not accounting for a possible talk on via TS. I frequently point my nose on vert scan going solely off of the TEWS, for targets I know are danger close and above me.

The separation is fine if he turned nose up, he turned nose down and then pulled right up into me and fired. He knew exactly where I was before he turned.

Sweeps might be right with the "VISUAL" setting on LARGE.

Looks like if people are going to abuse it, then I shall also. Nothing like seeing a football field sized sprite 30nm away I supose.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Unless you think he was visually tracking you for a very long time, well outside of engagement range, the point at which began to maneuver to engage could be the very point at which he acquired you visually. He'd still need some means to determine you were hostile, which means he got you on radar early on, or got lucky when you turned out to be an enemy when he pulled up into you.

Unless you think he was visually tracking you for a very long time, well outside of engagement range, the point at which began to maneuver to engage could be the very point at which he acquired you visually. He'd still need some means to determine you were hostile, which means he got you on radar early on, or got lucky when you turned out to be an enemy when he pulled up into you.

Not Sure, I think his 180* turn was due to him knowing where I was at.

He claimed that i "FLEW" past him and that was when he saw me.. Tacview shows otherwise. He turned 180* nose down[which should have him almost inverted blocking any view of me] then pulled directly up into me while firing at close to just off horizon. Which is why his first missile missed. and also why I know he knew where I was at before he started his turn.

Edited by pr1malr8ge

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It doesn't take more than a pull up and an aacq to put a missile on you.

My guess is that he got you visual.

Just got lucky i guess.

BTW Radar tracking in vert is supposed to be +/- 60° but at that range i would say he was visual.

I think i got lucky the same way once or twice, pulled up, locked the high guy in aacq and launched a 120 and got a hit.

Did it too with a sparrow but it ran out of energy.

IMHO you were just unlucky.

Do yo have the track or tacview to share?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

luck

coulda been

- me down low (very rare for me) and the bandit is up in the 40s ----- i can't get a "normal" TWS soft-lock for some reason, and you see that - so i switch to VACQ and almost instantly (and certainly LUCKILY) get an immediate lock

usually, when i am looking for someone in VACQ it takes an interminably looooong time to get a frikken lock - this time fortunately i didn't have that problem

*pardon any cuss-words or other in-the-moment disrespect towards the opposition (heh!) --- war is hell ; )

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haha, dude that was me :)

Was it on 104th server?

If yes that was me shooting you down (before you I took down SU27 as well).

You were flying really high and had a nice smoke trail behind you, and I was really low so you couldn`t see me. I had radar on you + visual.

I then climbed for 120°, fired on you, do a full 180° and dive back in to the mountains and head back to Sochi :)

No cheating dude :)

EDIT:

OK maybe it was not me, because I only fired 1 missile and didn`t chat.

But it was exact situation like yours :)

AFAIK there are no contrails at 50,000ft.

Correct. I notice them roughly between 28,000 and 40,000 FT.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

If there's one thing I've learnt from playing games such as Battlefield online, some people cheat, some get lucky and some (most, in my case) are just plain better than you. I try not to bother myself with any of the above and just concentrate on enjoying myself. :)

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

When you are at 50000ft and he is below you, he should really be able to see your contrail, even without setting the model visibility to large.
Not conning m8.

Haha, dude that was me :)

Was it on 104th server?

If yes that was me shooting you down (before you I took down SU27 as well).

You were flying really high and had a nice smoke trail behind you, and I was really low so you couldn`t see me. I had radar on you + visual.

I then climbed for 120°, fired on you, do a full 180° and dive back in to the mountains and head back to Sochi :)

No cheating dude :)

EDIT:

OK maybe it was not me, because I only fired 1 missile and didn`t chat.

But it was exact situation like yours :)

That was not you. When you say "SMOKE" you mean contrail or actual exhaust smoke? Because if someone is up at 50,000 they will be in full afterburn therefor should not be smoking from exhaust.

Yup, correct.

But they stay there for a while after you climb :)

Yes that is correct but when you're 50+nm away from where you stopped conning don't think that was the issue.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]