Tell me about AM2

not if your already running a 939 socket. Basically all am2 does is give you the opertunity to use ddr2 ram and i think the am2 cpu's use less power, but in terms of preformance there is little to no difference between a 939 and am2 Go to www.anantech.com for a good review.

cheers

You may want to check that link out...

this is where it redirects me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are there benefits to make it worth upgrading?
Well, at this time AMD is only talking about Anti Hyper Threading (AHT) working on AM2's. I hope that will not be the case ....

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Well, at this time AMD is only talking about Anti Hyper Threading (AHT) working on AM2's. I hope that will not be the case ....

Why is that bad, it is supposed to increase performance on games not optimized for dualcore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are rumours that AMD will introduce special capabilities on the AM2 CPU's coupled with new drivers enabling them to use the 2 CPU's on any aplication, even on LOMAC.

The question that remains to be seen is how much of both CPU power will be spent solely to coordinate the calculations split and shared between them. You may not yeld 100% perfomance improvment but more likely 30-40%.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Why is that bad, it is supposed to increase performance on games not optimized for dualcore.
You misunderstood the point I tried to make.

You are right saying that AHT will accelerate programs that are not specifically written for dual core processors.

My point is, the way AMD is talking right now, that AHT feature will NOT work on socket 939 dual core processors. Although it will work on AM2 processors.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

There are rumours that AMD will introduce special capabilities on the AM2 CPU's coupled with new drivers enabling them to use the 2 CPU's on any aplication, even on LOMAC.

The question that remains to be seen is how much of both CPU power will be spent solely to coordinate the calculations split and shared between them. You may not yeld 100% perfomance improvment but more likely 30-40%.

A 30%-40% increase in performance in lomac would be one hell of a nice increase, dont you think? :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You misunderstood the point I tried to make.

You are right saying that AHT will accelerate programs that are not specifically written for dual core processors.

My point is, the way AMD is talking right now, that AHT feature will NOT work on socket 939 dual core processors. Although it will work on AM2 processors.

AH, I see.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What difference? What system do you have now?

If you're buying a whole new system, you might not notice a difference between 939 and AM2 systems now, but any future CPU (K8L?) will be made for AM2 only. I made a mistake of buying a 939 platform recently, but for only a little more could have gone with AM2. Plus the feature Pilotasso mentioned.. supposedly, it's only implemented in AM2 versions and will be enabled when AMD releases a new CPU driver.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Right now I have an almost identical system to the one I am considering, but without AM2.

I have an FX60, ATI X3200 Crossfire (without am2) and 2 X1900XTX's with 2 gigs of ram.

The new X3200 mobo is supposed to have a better Southbridge that works better than the one on my board, plus it is AM2 compatible and DDR2 compatible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]