Simulating G-forces?

Deano87

I'm sure we will find someone who can make changes to the audio and really take advantage of this device.

And BTW, the OP is correct. We should stay on topic.

Check SW called simshaker it support buttckickers

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144060

And this one support gametrix

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134704

Edited by HiWay

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.

One of the desired effects of the military G-seats is to shift the pilot's viewpoint. If you're smashed down into the seat your perspective of the MIP, HUD, etc. changes, and this happens exactly when it's most important to get things right. This is one of the reasons that bladder types G-seats were developed. (Not to say there aren't other approaches.)

So, if you're looking for super realism in addition to better immersion, shifting the viewpoint is something to keep in mind.

One of the desired effects of the military G-seats is to shift the pilot's viewpoint. If you're smashed down into the seat your perspective of the MIP, HUD, etc. changes, and this happens exactly when it's most important to get things right. This is one of the reasons that bladder types G-seats were developed. (Not to say there aren't other approaches.)

So, if you're looking for super realism in addition to better immersion, shifting the viewpoint is something to keep in mind.

Interesting. When I've been thinking about this I kinda considered the shifting of the head to be an undesirable side-effect, particularly when wearing an HMD as the whole viewpoint would move.

Turns out that's what actually happens... :thumbup:

(Funnily enough I've never flown a military jet.:music_whistling:)

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

I worked on HISTE Hawk India Synthetic Training Equipment which included a large full cockpit sim.

The seat was made by a University subcontractor from the MB plans but included a small (perhaps 1cm) snap movement in only 2 axis (left and right) IIRC, not really a g-force sim but it was enough for the immersion of sharp turns.

The best I have seen is that video posted with the paddles and belt tensioners and there is another vid I've seen where the guy simplified that design I think.

• 4 months later...

I did not read the entire thread, but I would like to offer a simpler solution to simulating G-Force.

First, I'd like to mention that both the Oculus Rift and Vive provide a high quality and equally important convenient way to experience Virtual Reality. The main problem with a lot of new technology is not that we don't know how to make it, but we don't know how to simplify it, or miniaturize it for home use. I really like these simulation seats, but they're not for the average consumer - but the average Virtual Reality consumer would like to experience real G-Force.

I am no professional when it comes to mechanics or physics, but if G Force is simply the act of experiencing an increase of weight (or to be more precise - pressure) on the body, then could we not just design a full body suit with deflated airbags at important pressure points on the body, (chest, thighs, shoulders, etc), and when you accelerate at a given speed, a pre-determined setting will inflate the bags at a certain speed to simulate not just the pressure, but the force (movement) against your chest, then as your body would reach terminal velocity in real life, the bags deflate accordingly to simulate that velocity change.

Obviously the suit will need to be connected to an oxygen tank, and obviously that tank will need to refill itself. I don't know how much "usage" you would get out of a small tank for home use, I also don't know if tanks can refill themselves using the oxygen around them or how long it takes. Also it's important the bags can't deflate too rapidly and that valves on the suit are connected to allow manual release just in case.

But please correct me!

Edited by icedan

Source of pressurized air can be a simple compressor (airbrush and medical ones can be not to loud) and I guess pressure regulator can be made to build up and release pressure fast enough, but I'm not convinced it will provide right kind of cue. Way in the past i got to do couple drag race launches in a bit more powerful vehicle then street and i think force did not feel pushing on chest but rather being pulled from behind (and into a seat) .

The merit here might be simulation of real life g garment feel acting on legs and chest , not sure how much immersion it will add though

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

but the average Virtual Reality consumer would like to experience real G-Force.... But please correct me!

No correction from me but some caution.

Using a surplus g-suit/pants is workable. I tried it ones in a sim and it sure adds to its purpose. A compressor with a subtank controlled vent working on g-force suit.

But (and a big such).. these things aren't toys regardless in what form a suit or 'device' acting on produce pressure to the humen body, often on a non-so-well-trained-as-a-fighter-pilot and out of the real environment they are constructed for. I don't say not to use such, just be very carefull and keep the levels used at a minimum

There's been at least one fatal injury with this kind of sim-setup.

- - - -

I made a G-Seat based on Bergison's, and it's nothing short of amazing. I'm anxiously awaiting ED to fix rift support so I can fly DCS with it. I have to do some tinkering to get it work with P3D in the meantime. Actually, I should probably go ahead and do that now. :D

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

• 4 years later...

Old post, but maybe some one has interest in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVtvAbWfoqk

The hole harness is pulled down on positive Gs (heave). In the video you don't see much movement (you can heare more), but the tension system generates up to 100kg now divided on shoulders, chest, back and bum.

I was quite surprised how realistic the feeling of the Gs is.

Pulling 9Gs (with F/A-18 in DCS) feels like 3.5Gs in a real Airplane! When i breath out I almost loose the Air at max. Gs!

Sure, there is no Blooddrain or Blackout but however it is a perfect instrument to feel the energie state of your Aircraft. Every G is distinguishable.

Edited by vJaBoG32_Siddharta

Old post, but maybe some one has interest in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVtvAbWfoqk

The hole harness is pulled down on positive Gs (heave). In the video you don't see much movement (you can heare more), but the tension system generates up to 100kg now divided on shoulders, chest, back and bum.

I was quite surprised how realistic the feeling of the Gs is.

Pulling 9Gs (with F/A-18 in DCS) feels like 3.5Gs in a real Airplane! When i breath out I almost loose the Air at max. Gs!

Sure, there is no Blooddrain or Blackout but however it is a perfect instrument to feel the energie state of your Aircraft. Every G is distinguishable.

interesting, could you elaborate? I read on the comments you don´t plan to sell this.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Unfortunately the belt tensioner shown in the video did not last long (I need extreme forces because i fly inverted in the 360° motion sim).

So I rebuilt it and now the belt tensioner works perfectly and generates 100kg traction. Below i added the sketch as PDF. What you need:

1x 360° absolute encoder (Hall Sensor), analog, 0-5V

https://www.megatron.de/produkte/hall-effekt-singleturn-drehgeber/halleffekt-absolutwertgeber-serie-mab25a.html

1x Arduino Uno

1x Sabertooth 2x25 H-bridge

https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sabertooth2x32

1x DC brush motor 24V ; 350W ; gear output about 300 rpm ; with chain wheel 11 teeth.

If you'll get a (more expensive) gear DC Motor with 100rpm you will not need the chain (direct drive like in the sketch)

1x chain wheel with 27 teeth, hole diameter 25mm

1x matching chain approx. 50cm

2x Bearingblock (ball bearing) d=25mm

https://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Stueck-UCP205-Stehlagergehaeuse-Lagerbock-UCP-205-Stehlager-25-mm-Welle-/291589861281

1x drive axle d=25mm; approx. 13cm long

1x belt pulley with belt to control the encoder

1x 3mm Steelrope or extremely tear-resistant textile tape (safer!):

https://www.extremtextil.de/edelrid-x-tube-schlauchband-16mm-meterware.html?number=71800.APFLGRU

1x USB cable

10x various pin header cables

2x lead gel battery with min. 8Ah/12V

1x motor mounting

- Install and configure the free X-Sim software according to these instructions (be careful, use the Sabertooth variants):

https://x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=723

- Connect the PC to the Arduino via USB cable. Connect Arduino to the encoder and Sabertooth using the PinHeader cables.

- Connect the DC motor to Sabertooth.

- Connect the two 12V batteries in series (24V) and connect them to the Sabertooth (CAUTION! Plus to plus otherwise it smokes!)

- Connect the DC motor to the Sabertooth (M1A and M1B)

If everything works in x-sim then you have to use the Export.lua from DCS. I will send you on request.

Then start DCS-Import.exe as admin (you always have to start x-sim before, otherwise it won't start).

Then start X-Sim Extractor as admin and configure the DCS-Plugin (help on request)

Press Play in the Extractor -> X-Sim Converter should start.

In X-Sim Converter under Interface Settings activate XPID. CAUTION: Motor will now start to rotate.

- Create an axis in the converter and install the G-Force effect (help on request)

- Then press Start in the Converter

- Start DCS. Commence mission.

- In X-Sim the Input Values should now arrive in the Math Setup.

The target line must change when you draw Gs for example.

- Now the engine should turn!

- Extend the battery with an emergency stop switch within your range!

- Now connect the textile tape to the 25mm drive shaft (hole drilled and tape pulled through and glued.

- Close the belts and test if the pull is not too strong and everything holds.

Caution! The belt can cut off your crown jewels and fingers because it runs directly between your legs -> cable duct and protective cover

And now sit in, fasten the belt (with cutter in hand just in Case),

and have fun!

G-Force-Belt-Tension.pdf

Edited by vJaBoG32_Siddharta

Siddhartha, thank you again for this great effect! I never thought in this direction before you posted the video first time. I included the effect by adding "gravity belts to my gseat" which realize exactly the same idea. At the moment I have only a car video where one can see the outer belt near my armpit working. When flying positive g's they press me symmetrically into the seat. In lateral g's they press me against the g-seat flaps asymmetrically.

Feels awesome and I never drive or fly without those extra belts because they add so much to the immersion.

As we reactivate this thread a bit I want to add a new thing for me:

To get g's to my head I added lateral g's to my speedwind simulation.

And I was surprised that my brain can easily detect what rpm is airflow from the side and what is from the front. So I will add 2 more ventilators for a combination from speed and angle of attack to get

fully immersed by the airflow like in an ultralight where you sit free in the airflow. So this is a new possibility to get some g's feelable for your flightsim.