Indian Air Force 50+ years of operating MIG-21

DaveRindner

Yikes.

50 years of operating MIG-21bis. Still on active duty.

Talk about sqeazing every second of service life.

Here I tought that 50+ years of USAF operating B-52H, KC-135, and U-2/TR-1 was pushing flight hours.

One of those 'duh' moments is when it is realized that service life has climbed with cost of procurement, and cost of development of new systems.

F-16, F15, F-18,Typhoon, Mirage, Raphale, MIG-29, and SU-27 are all expected to have 40-50 year service lives.

I read somwhere they intend on using the B52 well into 2050, some of them will be 90 years old at that point.

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

Yep. USAF constantly rebuilds the airframes , via Boeing. AMARC has so many retired B-52 airframes, they can keep B-52 flying for centuries. Today USAF uses B-52 as cruise missile and JDAM, JASSM truck. The aircraft is very fast and can haul vast amounts of munitions. I'd bet that B-52H will be the launch platform for Prompt Global Strike hypersonic cruise missile, the air launched version of it. Boeing and Northrop modified wing hardpoints tp carry dozens of Harpoon and SLAM missiles for naval anti-surface mission.