Su-27 'flanker' actually means evade incoming F-15C all the time?

majapahit

Any Su-27 flyers who can confirm?

Know how to fly F-15C and for a while now Su-25T.

Just started exploring Su-27 and in the sample mission facing 2 F-15C (guarding 2 bombers) it's seems hardly an even match.

Su-27 missiles don't have the first contact range of the F-15C.

So in a situation like this you just have to flank the incoming flight I suppose and sneak up on them in a turnaround loop? Sneak out of F-15C radar to the side, than reverse to the rear of the flight?

This how this is done?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

except when the eagle is at 50k ft and M1.4

then, the eagle just looks right down in to that valley

and rolls inverted, goes idle to IRCM and foxes on you from 20nm

and you can't shoot back

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any Su-27 flyers who can confirm?

Know how to fly F-15C and for a while now Su-25T.

Just started exploring Su-27 and in the sample mission facing 2 F-15C (guarding 2 bombers) it's seems hardly an even match.

Su-27 missiles don't have the first contact range of the F-15C.

So in a situation like this you just have to flank the incoming flight I suppose and sneak up on them in a turnaround loop? Sneak out of F-15C radar to the side, than reverse to the rear of the flight?

This how this is done?

To clarify, you are having difficulties getting to launch range before they do?

Because often if I find too many people fall into the belief that the Su-27 is a poor BVR craft when in reality it holds up extremely well at extremely long ranges. Never leave out the option of the long range.

There are multiple things that define how the Su-27 can fight in the BVR and help or hinder. Here are some questions that may help...

1.)What missiles do both parties have. The R-27ER has about 20% better range than than the AIM-120 at equal altitude and speed (according to max launch ranges at best conditions).

2.)What missile do you have selected? You may just be selecting the R-27ET or R-73, neither of these missiles make good for a head-on fight (due to the limits of their heat-seekers).

3.)Launch position? If you have time try to get above the Eagles, you can further enforce your range advantage upon him. Also use speed to get a better launch, and proceed to slow down (flying off to the side as you hold lock) to delay the F-15 his ability to launch.

4.)Jammers on both parties? Jammers may by loud but they decrease the effectiveness of missiles as you get farther and farther away from the launch platform (never use Jammers when you are close, you make yourself easy prey that way). Use Jammers if you are beyond 45km at the start of the engagement (any less and you will quickly become to close to use jammers)

5.)How many of them are there? In your case two. This complicates matters as your SARH missiles dont allow you to fire on more than one target at first (thus the second one can fire on you as you deal with the first one). I would recommend that you find the close F-15 (if that is possible), get into range and fire as fast as possible (firing off a pair because of the poor hit-rate of the R-27E series at those ranges). There is a good chance you can down the first eagle before the second one gets too much time to fire. Again this is tricky and requires lots of practice with timing.

In the end you want to

1.)Know your Missiles

2.)Enforce your Range Advantage

3.)Use technology at hand to better your chances of survival

4.)Equalize your odds as fast as possible

Dont fall into the sterotype my friend, and also dont judge your skill fighting the AI (they cheat :joystick: ). Enjoy your time with this wonderful aircraft! Its flexibility and power allows you to be very creative with your approach to any fight and allows you to engage Eagles in almost any situation quite well.

Thanks for reading,

TheFurNinja

Edited by TheFurNinja
  • Like 1

In-Game Handle: Lutrafisk

She/Her

1.)What missiles do both parties have. The R-27ER has about 20% better range than than the AIM-120 at equal altitude and range (according to max launch ranges at best conditions).

thx, I'll rearm

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

since several months I don't play the Flanker in MP as some of its features are broken - my ideal state was in FC2, both the eagle and flankers missiles seemed more authentic. In SP, I find it rather easy to face amraam armed fighters, nonetheless it remains a funny and challenging practice. I rly hope that with the release of 1.5 the AAM model gets a serious rebuild. As an advice, to successfully fight eagles in SP, I suggest to use the range "advantage" the ER has over the 120, and to try to find a good position from which attack the enemy; head on jousting normally is not a very effective tactic. In case there are wingmen, I'd normally use them as cannon fodder and try to get some advantage from situation they could open up engaging their eagle colleagues. I know it's not very realistic, but right now AI wingmen in DCS seem to be made primarily to die and even if you don't get creative with them, they will anyway end up that way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

I don't think so. ER chaff resistance doesn't matter a lot when your opponent can just fire and turn around.
Given that they can get well within firing range, it does take time to pitbull. That is enough time to usually slam a few ERs into them.

She/Her

I don't think so. ER chaff resistance doesn't matter a lot when your opponent can just fire and turn around.

IF they turn around, just make a small correction to heading and push harder. As their missiles are going to miss you if they don't guide them in to final. AFAIK the tactics anyways are to keep locked to single target all the way instead using TWS etc.

Use the speed and range in Su-27+R-27ER as your benefit to force eagles to defensive as they are dead if trying to get you first. Good pair launching (R-27ET+ER) is tricky thing to avoid by Eagle pilots.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

ED, give us the R-77 for the Flanker. ;)

Sadly the Su-27S is not compatible, but don't forget it's little brother: MiG-29 (which can carry it). Lucky us though the Su-33 is about to be finished (flight model wise). I hope it gets its R-77s and TWS2 (among other features).

She/Her

IF they turn around, just make a small correction to heading and push harder. As their missiles are going to miss you if they don't guide them in to final. AFAIK the tactics anyways are to keep locked to single target all the way instead using TWS etc.

Use the speed and range in Su-27+R-27ER as your benefit to force eagles to defensive as they are dead if trying to get you first. Good pair launching (R-27ET+ER) is tricky thing to avoid by Eagle pilots.

+1 knows his stuff. Without the pitbull or it being actively guided at you by the host aircraft, you can just turn out of the missiles path and it goes dumb.

Edited by TheFurNinja

She/Her

ED could always step up our beloved Su-27 to a slightly more modern variant that is compatible with the R-77. Such development should be fluid, as it is in the real world.

Lucky us though the Su-33 is about to be finished (flight model wise). I hope it gets its R-77s and TWS2 (among other features).

^^^ ...could you back that up with some evidence? Posts, screenshots, etc?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

ED could always step up our beloved Su-27 to a slightly more modern variant that is compatible with the R-77. Such development should be fluid, as it is in the real world.

^^^ ...could you back that up with some evidence? Posts, screenshots, etc?

Oh silly me now that I look I can't find any!:doh:

Im pretty sure I was mistakenlty thinking about proposed upgrades to the flanker D. But regaurdless the MiG-29K can and later Flankers can still carry R-77s.

Still missing the Su-33s other equipment though. :(

She/Her

As much as we would all love that, it's not that simple. It requires a lot of work to even make a new version of an existing plane.

As much as we would all love that, it's not that simple. It requires a lot of work to even make a new version of an existing plane.

Plus aren't all the more modern Su-27s fitted with 3xMFCDs and the offside EO sensor? That would require more than some reworking of the Su-27. That would require re-working the 3d model and the cockpit (the later almost entirely).

She/Her

Such a fight is only ever going to be in the Eagles favour, you are limited to using an R-27 against his much more capable AIM-120, in real life the F-15 driver would have a massive advantage there, hence why the Russians made the R-77, to try to even the playing field, the problem is that the Su-27 modelled in the the sim can't use that.

If you fly the MiG-29S then you get that capability, so I would suggest that if you fly the Su-27 then you need to learn to fight the fights you can win in it.

Such a fight is only ever going to be in the Eagles favour, you are limited to using an R-27 against his much more capable AIM-120, in real life the F-15 driver would have a massive advantage there, hence why the Russians made the R-77, to try to even the playing field, the problem is that the Su-27 modelled in the the sim can't use that.

If you fly the MiG-29S then you get that capability, so I would suggest that if you fly the Su-27 then you need to learn to fight the fights you can win in it.

Im actually getting really tired of the whole "F-15 is superior in a BVR Engagement" speil.

So if I may ask, what makes the F-15 (with its AIM-120s) superior to a Su-27 with its ERs and ETs?

Now I get that the F-15 has a much better TWS and also (when pitbull) can go full defensive as his missiles can track on their own.

But what I fail to see is how an F-15, with its shorter range AIM-120s is superior to the Su-27s longer ranging missiles. This is because as the Su-27 gets the range advantage (kinematically), it fires first. Firing first means the F-15 gets two choices

1.)Run (trash the Su-27s Missiles and show a hot tailpipe for the Su-27s EO sensor)

or

2.)Fly through the gauntlet of ERs so that he may get within range to fire a AIM-120. Which has no guarantee of hitting its target until the missile goes pitbull.

So again I ask (because im genuinely confused), why is it superior?

Edited by TheFurNinja

She/Her

I disagree, as has already been explained by others. On previous patch i had a lot of fun shooting ERs at 40/35 km and scoring hits against not very focused F15 pilots while i was cranking and diving away from AIM120. ERs reach them before AIM120 reaches you. And by the time they do, if your own ER misses you still have some options, or just extend.

Now ERs are crap and bugged (and unfortunately no one from ED mentioned anything about our bug report, yet), they just are useless for BVR. It only takes a couple of degrees offset, a couple of chaffs and that's all, specially on MP which makes it even worse.

On current patch i haven´t been able to score a single ER hit beyond 15km.

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

Now ERs are crap and bugged (and unfortunately no one from ED mentioned anything about our bug report, yet), they just are useless for BVR. It only takes a couple of degrees offset, a couple of chaffs and that's all, specially on MP which makes it even worse.

ER wont even lock?

So to know that every ER will head right to the chaff, even the chaff was released way before the release of the ER doesn't matter?

Do I miss something important?

ALL ERs are useless right now! So again; what's the point you try to tell us?

I myself thought till today to have a good weapon will force my opponent into a disadvantage and so he cannot "fire at me and turn around" all the time.

This "behavior" is now standard because of the "bugged" ERs.

I would really like to know why the knowledge that an ER will face every chaff in the air but not the illuminated target is not a big problem!?

:helpsmilie:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

ER wont even lock?

Right now the RADAR will lock, the enemy releases a single chaff, you fire your ER with a valid lock, as soon as the missile is released the missile will every single time face the former released chaff even you never lost your RADAR lock of the enemy plane.

Sounds "funny" but it isn't.

The DCS Su27 never could show how good she really is but with this latest patch she is useless in every aspect.

Now the range advantage is a range disadvantage and if you can go in a dogfight the 73 will eat every flare in the air, your wingmans back or even your own afterburner, but not the F15C. And now the F15C can outturn a Su27 at higher AoA. :huh:

Hope ED will fix only some of this points with the next patch!

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.