Uses of pougachev's cobra

WildBillKelsoe

I read an interesting article that IRST is used to lob a heatseeker OTS during a cobra that it should know the path of bogey and home in on him after cobra. I wonder any body can confirm this is working in DCS?

Cobra_Maneuver_Brief.jpg

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Combination of OBA + AoA allows the seeker to stay locked on target. Missiles couldn't make turns like this before - although as you can see, it's a pretty short-range affair.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

WOW!!! Iberian, can you share your tacview file here? I'd love to exploit this on AI!!

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thanks for sharing, Iberian!

Now that's what is called a seeker missile.

It's tempting to test some offensive Cobras even if it should probably be the very last resort maneuver…

The OLS-27 viewing angle is something like +60°/-15° vertical and +-60° horizontal iirc?

As far as I can remember from a visit to some staff at an israeli stand (Le Bourget), the Python family has some serious hi-G turns capabilities. I'm wondering how efficient they could be in similar conditions. :)

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

I read an interesting article that IRST is used to lob a heatseeker OTS during a cobra that it should know the path of bogey and home in on him after cobra. I wonder any body can confirm this is working in DCS?

Cobra_Maneuver_Brief.jpg

Hah, if you tried that the way the picture shows it (pulling up before merging) you'd find an R-73 or AIM-9 in your belly mighty quick.

Now, what you might be able to do is kick back and use HMS to lock target after passing and throw a missile that way, but that kind of trick shooting puts you in a very bad position if it fails.

Hah, if you tried that the way the picture shows it (pulling up before merging) you'd find an R-73 or AIM-9 in your belly mighty quick.

Now, what you might be able to do is kick back and use HMS to lock target after passing and throw a missile that way, but that kind of trick shooting puts you in a very bad position if it fails.

Yeah probably, so i would recommend if possible to be lower then the eagle, then it might work, like in the video

Yeah probably, so i would recommend if possible to be lower then the eagle, then it might work, like in the video

in the video, he didn't cobra-launch the missile. He launched before merge, the missile began a maximum-G loop as the target passed above it, and it regained lock as it went over the top.

in the video, he didn't cobra-launch the missile. He launched before merge, the missile began a maximum-G loop as the target passed above it, and it regained lock as it went over the top.

nontheless... it was a wicked shot!! pure wicked!!!

6FV_Qyua9lI

Nice kill! :thumbup:

But yeah, the "S" key should come with a big neon "NEVER PRESS THIS BUTTON!!!" warning on it :megalol:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Nice kill! :thumbup:

But yeah, the "S" key should come with a big neon "NEVER PRESS THIS BUTTON!!!" warning on it :megalol:

Agreed, nice kill.

Wouldn't pressing and holding the button assigned to the Wheel Brake (behaves differently while airborne) allow the override of the AoA limiter well enought to achieve a similar maneuver, without losing control afterwards?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Agreed, nice kill.

Wouldn't pressing and holding the button assigned to the Wheel Brake (behaves differently while airborne) allow the override of the AoA limiter well enought to achieve a similar maneuver, without losing control afterwards?

Don't think so. Using the wheel brake only appears to give about an extra G, and even then only when performing a max-G turn. It isn't anything like as drastic as disabling the flight control system.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Agreed, nice kill.

No. The wheel brake button doesn't provide such a radical move. But the S button shouldn't be feared irrationally, because its use can provide many advantages. It lets you pull a lot of angle of attack, almost regardless of airspeed. While at high speed you can pull that crazy turn (and lose all your speed in the process) the real beauty of direct control becomes evident at low speeds. It gives you a significant nose authority, which lets you do many nice things like for example:

-Swing your nose down with ease when at slow speed on top of a loop maneuver (the angular advantage gained here often far exceeds the disadvantage of losing a little speed.

-Point your nose radically for a missile/gun shot. This does not need to be an extreme jerk of the stick, a controlled increase of the pull still gives you a lot of extra pitch movement. If you do decide to jerk it, try not lose control completely :)

-Avoid overshooting an evasive/slowing bandit. Pulling extreme angle of attack is a wonderful airbrake, much better than the extendable one!

-Easily win a flat scissors or slow rolling scissors against an F-15C, or an Su-27 pilot who is too afraid to hit the S key ;) Because slowing down while still maneuvering is key to victory in these.

Also, the danger of losing control applies more when the aircraft is heavy. When it's light, you should be able to maintain control, in pretty much any attitude, even after pulling something cobra-esque :)

No. The wheel brake button doesn't provide such a radical move. But the S button shouldn't be feared irrationally, because its use can provide many advantages. It lets you pull a lot of angle of attack, almost regardless of airspeed. While at high speed you can pull that crazy turn (and lose all your speed in the process) the real beauty of direct control becomes evident at low speeds. It gives you a significant nose authority, which lets you do many nice things like for example:

-Swing your nose down with ease when at slow speed on top of a loop maneuver (the angular advantage gained here often far exceeds the disadvantage of losing a little speed.

-Point your nose radically for a missile/gun shot. This does not need to be an extreme jerk of the stick, a controlled increase of the pull still gives you a lot of extra pitch movement. If you do decide to jerk it, try not lose control completely :)

-Avoid overshooting an evasive/slowing bandit. Pulling extreme angle of attack is a wonderful airbrake, much better than the extendable one!

-Easily win a flat scissors or slow rolling scissors against an F-15C, or an Su-27 pilot who is too afraid to hit the S key ;) Because slowing down while still maneuvering is key to victory in these.

Also, the danger of losing control applies more when the aircraft is heavy. When it's light, you should be able to maintain control, in pretty much any attitude, even after pulling something cobra-esque :)

Yep, its a great way to piss everyone off in BFM...and win the fight too! :megalol:

• Like 1

Lord of Salt

O_O Blimey!!!!!

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.