Su-27 Radar vs F-15 radar (max lockon angle)

pepin1234

I was in MP fighting using only R-27R and the close fighting with high bearing maneuvers is extreme in this combat. Specially when the R-27R in this Sim is useless at medium distance. After a couple of fights I was downed with this spectacular move of a F-15 (more than 60° in lockon) and the Aim-7 keep guided until splash me.

This is possible with the AN/APG-63?

What is the max angle of the Su-27 N001 radar compared with the F-15 one?

F-15C%20Radar_zpsidpusb3v.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They are both 70*, but only 60* is modeled for the F-15.

What you are experiencing is a side-effect of how the radar memory is implemented.

Also, if you forgot your ECM on, the missile will guide to you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

They are both 70*, but only 60* is modeled for the F-15.

Could you explain plz, I was always super curious why its 70*. The normal FOV is +-30* if I'm not mistaken, and you can move the radar 30* to the left/right.

In the config it says also +-60*.

scan_volume =
           {
               azimuth = {-60.0, 60.0},
               elevation = {-30.0, 30.0}
           },

So why 70*?

Could you explain plz, I was always super curious why its 70*. The normal FOV is +-30* if I'm not mistaken, and you can move the radar 30* to the left/right.

scan_volume =
           {
               azimuth = {-60.0, 60.0},
           },

So why 70*?

Well, anyway something is not going on well. You can see in the tacview a 63° in elevation.

I remember very well when I review my olds Tacview at the past, everytime I increased the azimuth in more than 60° my missiles were missed. I don't use to increase the Elevation angle in combat because I know is smaller angle when in elevation, but the F-15 seem have the same angle in elevation, 60° :huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, anyway something is not going on well. You can see in the tacview a 63° in elevation.

I'm pretty sure the F15C lost lock on you in this situation. I would be really surprised if the F15C could lock 63° down.

But you are right, the values I posted are for the scan area in BVR mode.

Which aircraft?

The Su-27 has a 70* gimbal in azimuth. The F-15 per -34 has a 70* gimbal in all directions. The display is still 60* for the F-15.

Not everything is modeled like it is in the real aircraft, and the scan volume isn't about gimbal limits IIRC.

scan_volume =
           {
               azimuth = {-60.0, 60.0},
           },

So why 70*?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You're only showing one moment of the fight. What did this F-15 do after? How long did this angle last? The radar memory is about 4 sec, so if he was at >60* for less than 4 seconds, he won't lose lock.

I remember very well when I review my olds Tacview at the past, everytime I increased the azimuth in more than 60° my missiles were missed. I don't use to increase the Elevation angle in combat because I know is smaller angle when in elevation, but the F-15 seem have the same angle in elevation, 60° :huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As GG is pointing out, it's probably about memory. Go outside the limit and get the flashing target designator box and you can always fly right back on to the target and not lose lock. For something small like 63 degrees, I'd expect that.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files