Quick question about res, aa, af

Since I've switch monitors, and now running on 1280x1024 res, i was wondering do i have to change anything within the files like the ratio or is simply selecting 1280x1024 in the options menu does the trick? I know widescreen (1920x1200) I have to change it 1.6 or something, do I have to do the same for 1280x1024?

Also, I want to know what most of you guys run on for AA and AF. I seen several reviews always run it on 4xAA and 8xAF, does it really make it look a lot better? Personally I never tried pushing it that high, usually ran 2 or 4x AA (didn’t even touch AF yet). So is it recommended?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i am pretty sure that you dont have to do anything for the resolution, that is what i run too. I am sure though that my screen automatically ajusts, i never had a problem, but you might. i dont think so though. i dont know what you mean by aa and what not. Dont think i could even answer the question if i understood

well 8x 16 dousnt work that good with a 7800 gs. I think im doing 4 x 8 at this time still tweaking

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

You don't really have to do anything to adjust the aspect ratio, but if you want to have it absolutely correct divide 1280/1024 = 1.25

Most 4:3 ratio screens use res such as 1024/768 = 1.33 (1.33 x 768 = 1024... see how this works?)

For widescreen 16:10 or 16:9 (a ratio of 1.6 or 1.77)... a 1.33 ratio simply does not work, cause the image will be stretched way too far. You really won't notice much of a difference setting 1280 x 1024 in game as your resolution and not changing the graphics.cfg to show 1.25 instead of 1.33, but if you really want it to be dead on that's what you need to do! Change the graphics.cfg to read ratio = 1.25!

If you run AA on x2 then you won't notice "much" of an increase just for playing, it's when you stop and look at screenshots a higher AA really makes it look a lot better. Anything in motion and as long as you have AA 2x or higher you'll be fine. AF has an even less impact for footage in motion and really only deals with shimmering in the distance. It's not as evident in Lock-On as it is in FS2004, where there's a distinct line in the terrain a few miles away that's blurry and shimmering without AF.

Hope that helps. btw, I typically use AA 4x and AF 8x. If my rig was struggling I would reduce the AF first and as a the last item to reduce AA 2x...

LD

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

thanks LawnDart :thumbup: Yea i really want it spot on since i have OCD or something so i will be changing the ration, thank you.

Is it the same principle when applied to FOV in the cockpit. For widescreen there's a way to change it like shown in this thread http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=13573. I'm not sure what's the max FOV for the res of 1280x1024 so any help would be appreciated. yea and i know the difference is small but that's just me and my insane mind

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just play around with it a little. For memory after about 170 for the FOV the graphics stuggle when panning around the cockpit. Version 1.12a automatically adjusts the FOV for the res, but we still have to change the Aspect ratio every time we change graphics settings.

For your res, FOV should not change, as your aspect ratio is not really changing. Raising the FOV increases your horizontal viewing capabilities, and without running widescreen this would look weird if work at all.

Anyways have a play and see what each change makes.

As for AA and AF, it depends on your GPU and what you think is acceptcable fps. Im running on 2aa and 8af. I have noted that AF doesn't effect the fps nearly as much as AA. Here are a couple of links from nHancer driver program regarding AA and AF respectively:

http://www.nhancer.com/help/AAPres.htm

http://www.nhancer.com/help/AFPres.htm

Best to load up all the options first then compare as it is much easier to see differences when pic change instantly.

cheers

SuperKungFu,

Forgot to tell ya. When you change the ratio to 1.25 (1280x1024) in the graphics.cfg it only keeps this value until you apply any new video settings in game, then it automatically defaults back to 1.33. It's annyoing and you probably wouldn't notice the difference, but I certainly do since I run Lock-On in widescreen.

Also, the FOV is good as it is for your display. Changing the FOV is tricky, since it goes hand in hand with changing the zoom and you end up getting a "fisheye" effect (that also reduces your fps in heavy action or smoke). For a 4:3 screen or similar it's not going to give you any real benefits what-so-ever!

LD

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |