Screaming Eagle

attachment.php?attachmentid=155597&stc=1&d=1485122038

Desert Tiger 76

attachment.php?attachmentid=155767&stc=1&d=1485471240

Desert Fishbed 76

attachment.php?attachmentid=174711&stc=1&d=1513897278

Wild Weasel

***** original post *****

With this thread I would like to present the project I am currently working on: A modular dynamic campaign system for DCS which I am simply calling Dynamic Campaign Engine.

Some might be aware of my Guardians of the Caucasus dynamic campaign for the MiG-21 which I have released about a year ago. This campaign was very specifically tailored to the MiG-21 and purposely limited in scope in order to keep it manageable. With DCE I would now like to step up to the next level and provide a framework that can inherently manage a large variety of aircraft tasks and aircraft eras. I expect DCE to be able to run campaigns from modern times back to Korea (and possibly even WWII, though because of personal lack of interest I am not spending any extra time on that).

The Guardians campaign had several annoying limitations and workarounds due to the approach of generating mission content within running DCS missions. Shortly after release of Guardians it became clear to me that a more advanced DC system must be an independent program outside of DCS that can write complete .miz mission files from scratch. DCE is such a program. It is written in LUA and runs outside of DCS. It is still using the LUA interpreter supplied by DCS, but this is simply a convenience (why should I bother to set up my own LUA interpreter if there is one in the DCS installation ready for use). This approach remedies most of the limitations of the Guardians-system:

-Time and weather of the next mission no longer need to be adjusted manually.

-Briefings are now displayed as ordinary briefings instead of text output.

-Missions can be quit directly without any F10 actions required.

-Complete text debriefings are shown after the mission has been quit.

-Players can be assigned mission specific waypoints and loadouts.

-Because of above, players can play any mission type available to their aircraft (air-air, air-ground).

DCE running a campaign will work as follows:

1. Somewhere you have your campaign folder. Within is your next mission. For example it is called 'Test Campaign Mission 1.miz'. You simply play it in DCS as any other regular single mission.

2. After you are done playing, you end it with Esc.

3. A Notepad file will open automatically, showing a detailed debriefing:

attachment.php?attachmentid=128002&stc=1&d=1448199485

(concept demo only, not an actual debriefing)

4. A command box will open asking you to accept the mission results. Accepting will proceed the campaign, not accepting will be as if you didn't play the last mission.

5. If you accepted, the mission 'Test Campaign Mission 1.miz' will be gone and 'Test Campaign Mission 2.miz' is now ready for you. This happens automatically while you are within DCS.

6. The next mission will have time advanced by a certain amount (as defined by the campaign designer), updated weather, updated order of battles depending on the kills and losses of the last mission and new task for all available aircraft (friend and foe).

The cornerstone of DCE is the automatically generated Air Tasking Order. The ATO will assign available aircraft to available targets in a sensible way taking into account a multitude of factors. I will go into more depth of the ATO in a subsequent post.

It is important to note that DCE is not a specific campaign but a framework to run campaigns on. This means that a campaign designer still has to invest some time into setting up a campaign, such as developing the overall scenario, defining all ground targets, setting up all air defenses, defining all involved aviation units, setting up victory conditions, defining special events, writing background texts etc. DCE will then play out what the campaign designer came up with. So whether a campaign will be fun to play will also depend a lot on how it will be set up.

A word on ground war and moving front line. DCE will not have it initially. Some people will instinctively associate a dynamic campaign with an ongoing ground war. I do not think this is the case, as the basis of a DC must be persistent damage and an ATO making aircraft do stuff. Historically several massive air campaigns have been fought without a ground war ongoing (Battle of Britain, Linebacker, 90% of Desert Storm). Therefore I think it is sensible to concentrate on the air war first (which includes air-ground against air defenses and ground targets) before looking at a dynamic ground war. I am not saying this will never happen. The way DCE is set up it should be very easy to insert a ground war module. Writing such a module will be a massive undertaking though, which basically is creating a strategy game from scratch. So I think this time is currently better spent on stuff in the air until this is really solid. DCE will be perfectly suited to run campaigns like F/A-18s doing carrier air strikes in the Strait of Hormuz against Iranian installations ashore.

So where is DCE currently at? I laid some groundwork last January and started working on it in earnest in October. So I am now about 2 months into development. The basic framework is set up and the ATO is already very solid. But there is still a lot of work ahead. I will use this thread to post some development updates as I go along.

debrief.thumb.jpg.9c2a0a259c49eb34e02cc3ba1498190a.jpg

Anyone knows where can I find the DCE? I would like to build new campaigns using this framework

Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, Tinchus2009 said:

Anyone knows where can I find the DCE? I would like to build new campaigns using this framework

Thanks in advance

It's included in MBot's downloads. See Mbot's installation instructions:

On 12/30/2019 at 9:48 AM, MBot said:

DOWNLOAD

Installation:

1. Download Dynamic Campaign Engine and extract to "...\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech".

2. Download Battle Group Delta campaign and extract to "...\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns".

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just tried the F-14A Battle Group Delta campaign.  After I flew the first mission, I never got the debrief .txt.  Also, when flying home after our brief battle with the MiG-29s, I received a bunch of script errors that repeatedly said something about a unit not existing.  I should have screenshotted them, but didn't, hoping that the mission would just save.

I have DCE installed in my \Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech folder, and the campaign installed in the \Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns as instructed.  I am running the  most current Open Beta, if that matters.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Hey Guys,

just made a few adjustments to one of the LUA Scripts so DCE can now be used by People who have there saved games folder on a Harddrive different than the C-Drive. File to be overriden is found in Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\DCE\ScriptsMod.20.38.01\Mission Scripts

Full Path to Saved Games folder must be set in the paths.bat in the INIT Folder, e.g.

set "pathSavedGames=F:\UserFiles\Saved Games\DCS\"

@MBot I highly suggest to review the file and add it to upcoming releases / updates, the changes where made @ Line 230 & 257

Greetings and a happy new Year

EventsTracker.lua

Edited by kgd192
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Some days ago I discovered DCS from my childhood gaming adventures. DCE seems like the way to turn this game into everlasting joy.

I tried installing Eagle over Persian Gulf but not luck. I followed all the steps of the manual and I can run the firstmission.bat (it ends with press any key to continue), but no new campaign generated which DCS can open.

I am running DCS via Steam, DCS runs from D partition and Saved Games are on C partition. I adjusted for that init path.bat file and used the eventstracker.lua from kgd192 (see above). I am running the mod via JSGME.

Code in path.bat file:

REM Core or Main DCS ou DCS.beta path, always end the line with \
set "pathDCS=D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\"

REM DCS or DCS.beta saved game path, always end the line with \
set "pathSavedGames=C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS\"

REM DCE ScriptMod version not any / or \ and no space before and after =
set "versionPackageICM=20.38.01"

Is there anyone who could give me an idea of what's going wrong? I'll be happy with any feedback. Many thanks in advance!

On 7/15/2020 at 5:01 AM, Skynet99 said:

For some reason I get the following error when launching with DCE:

The following DLCs are not authorized and will be

disabled:

Dynamic Campaign Engine

What did I miss in the installation process?

Edit:

Got it, wrong tech folder...

I'm getting this error, too and this is the only place I can find someone else with it. What did @Skynet99 mean by 'wrong tech folder'?

On 1/11/2021 at 4:13 AM, kgd192 said:

@deltatango Maybe he copied the files in the Mod/Tech folder inside of the DCS Root directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\DCS World\...) and not the User Mod Folder (i.e. C:\UserFiles\Saved Games\DCS). The latter would be the correct one.

Yup thanks. That fixed it. I had put it in the right place, but still also had a copy in the DCS World directory as well. A result of trying to follow the very confusing instructions that came with the Hornet over PG Campaign. Followed @MBot 's instructions above which are much more straight forward.

The Hornet over PG install instructions also don't say anything about having to have MBot's Dynamic Campaign Engine already installed, but not I do, it DCE shows up in the list of campaign types. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Dear all,

I installed the campaign for Bf109. I got this Warning message at the start:

image.png

Something to worry about? 

My MissionScript looks like this:

-

-Initialization script for the Mission lua Environment (SSE)

dofile('Scripts/ScriptingSystem.lua')

--Sanitize Mission Scripting environment
--This makes unavailable some unsecure functions. 
--Mission downloaded from server to client may contain potentialy harmful lua code that may use these functions.
--You can remove the code below and make availble these functions at your own risk.

local function sanitizeModule(name)
    _G[name] = nil
    package.loaded[name] = nil
end

do
--    sanitizeModule('os')
--    sanitizeModule('io')
    sanitizeModule('lfs')
    require = nil
    loadlib = nil
end

And my Pathfile like this:

REM Core or Main DCS ou DCS.beta path, always end the line with \
set "pathDCS=E:\DCS World\"

REM DCS or DCS.beta saved game path, always end the line with \
set "pathSavedGames=Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\" 

REM DCE ScriptMod version not any / or \ and no space before and after =
set "versionPackageICM=20.38.01"

Thanks for the help & Best Regards

Dr.Dr

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,
just to inform you that this thread is related to the original DCE, created by Mbot, and it doesn't seem to support it anymore.

The thread concerning the "active" or "supported" campaigns by CEF and Miguel21 are here:

These are among others:
TF-71
TF-74
TF-68
Over Persian Gulf
India-Pakistan War 1971
over Caucasus-CVN
IRAN-IRAK WAR CAMPAIGNS
Eagle_01 Campaigns
Eagle_01 WW2 campaigns
Eagle_01 Afghan Bear trap campaigns

Polia's IRIAF Tanker War

Roll's Hot War In The Cold

So, in the end, for all the campaigns mentioned above, no need to post here...

Thanks

FAQ DCE (Cef & Miguel'version)

In case of problem with a mission generated by CEF's DCEs, please post as many elements as possible:

• - the mission + the tacview + a screenshot of the bug window + Give the name of the campaign + version of the scriptsMod

DCE_Manager

News : Crisis in Persian Gulf, one campaign, 13 modules (29/12/2023)

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, EagleEye11 said:

is this still usefull for DCS 2.7?

there you write on the original DCE post of Mbot, which does not seem to support it anymore... so if the question is about F-14A Battle Group Delta & co campaigns: no, it is not compatible.

If you want to talk about the DCE campaigns modified by Cef: only this one (which is in test) is compatible 2.7

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315515/

But as written 2 posts above: this thread is not used anymore for the current DCE campaigns

• Like 1

FAQ DCE (Cef & Miguel'version)

In case of problem with a mission generated by CEF's DCEs, please post as many elements as possible:

• - the mission + the tacview + a screenshot of the bug window + Give the name of the campaign + version of the scriptsMod

DCE_Manager

News : Crisis in Persian Gulf, one campaign, 13 modules (29/12/2023)

12 hours ago, Miguel21 said:

there you write on the original DCE post of Mbot, which does not seem to support it anymore... so if the question is about F-14A Battle Group Delta & co campaigns: no, it is not compatible.

If you want to talk about the DCE campaigns modified by Cef: only this one (which is in test) is compatible 2.7

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315515/

But as written 2 posts above: this thread is not used anymore for the current DCE campaigns

great. thank you buddy

cropped-GVAW_RC2.png

DCS INDONESIA COMMUNITY
Garuda virtual Air Wing
Official Website | Discord | Facebook | Instagram

• 2 months later...

Whatever the new campaign engine is, all I want is to feel a tiny part of a massive campaign where missions are generated as per the threat, military goals, etc and where I can chose to jump into any mission type from a long list generated by the Air Tasking Order. I want to see the consequences and see the war evolve. I want to feel the campaign is alive. In short: “There’s a bloody huge war going on - and someone’s just dumped you into a combat aircraft.”

Edited by C3PO
  • Like 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

• 6 months later...

I tried the campaign again with the release of ver 5.x and I cannot run it at all. I tried the fixes listed on the dialog boxes but have to admit I did not unerstand what they are trying to do. I hope ED comes out with a campaign system that is easy to use and works.

Unable to write DCS Liberation state.jpg

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

2 hours ago, MBot said:

Wrong campaign mate, it seems that you are playing Liberation.

Oh boy 😅

I'm glad to see you in this thread again though! I was about to ask you, if you will get back to work on your DCE, now that a Phantom is in sight, but then I thought that this would probably not make much sense with ED working on their own Dynamic Campaign framework.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sorry about posting in the wrong campaign thread.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

7 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I'm glad to see you in this thread again though! I was about to ask you, if you will get back to work on your DCE, now that a Phantom is in sight, but then I thought that this would probably not make much sense with ED working on their own Dynamic Campaign framework.

Yeah I have been keeping away from posting much here because most interactions have been about technical support, installation questions and such, which frankly I do not have much interest in. But in fact I have been quietly working on DCE almost continuously for my own enjoyment.

Major areas of improvement have concentrated on Cold War style low level penetration tactics. I have created a system for low level route generation, an IADS, improved AI attack tactics (which I have already released separately) and an ATO generator that can do more complex coordinated multi-target strikes (like time coordinated support sweeps, CAPs, tankers, striking targets from multiple axis simultaneously, striking adjacent defenses etc.). I am just now experimenting with TOSS bombing a target, which distracts AAA sufficiently that another flight can level-bomb for example a runway without getting hit (Tornado anyone?). Everything is written to work 100% AI only, with the player just dropping in.

Another major item has been cyclic carrier ops, which took almost 6 months to develop. This includes carriers turning into the wind for launch/recovery cycles, completely new custom written AI marshal ops for CASE I/II/III (returning aircraft have to wait in the air for the next recovery cycle), fuel checks in the marshal and sending AI to recovery tankers to take just enough fuel required for recovery, and a major rewrite of the ATO generator (every Time on Target must be additionally coordinated with launch cycles). That has been a pretty big project and frankly it isn't working flawless yet due to some DCS AI-isms and bugs.

I wanted to release a new version of DCE for a while now, but I think this needs to come with a new reference campaign that serves to test and validate all changes and demo the new capabilities. I have worked on and played a number of different campaigns over the years but after a while I am usually more interested in working on new ideas instead of doing public releases. I enjoy having a codebase that I am free to make radical changes to and try new stuff without having to care about backwards compatibility for things in the public.

Though for about a year I have been working towards a Tomcat campaign which I want to release once both the Forrestal and the AI A-6 are available. The Mirage F1, A-7E and F-4E occupying a lot of my thoughts as well.

3 hours ago, tusler said:

Sorry about posting in the wrong campaign thread.

No problem.

Edited by MBot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, MBot said:

Major areas of improvement have concentrated on Cold War style low level penetration tactics. I have created a system for low level route generation, an IADS, improved AI attack tactics (which I have already released separately) and an ATO generator that can do more complex coordinated multi-target strikes (like time coordinated support sweeps, CAPs, tankers, striking targets from multiple axis simultaneously, striking adjacent defenses etc.). I am just now experimenting with TOSS bombing a target, which distracts AAA sufficiently that another flight can level-bomb for example a runway without getting hit (Tornado anyone?). Everything is written to work 100% AI only, with the player just dropping in.

That sounds absolutely incredible indeed!

23 hours ago, MBot said:

But in fact I have been quietly working on DCE almost continuously for my own enjoyment.

I would really appreciate it, if you would release an updated DCE, even without a campaign! :worthy:
I've been working on DCE campaigns on my own, but the old release of the DCE isn't working too well anymore with the new DCS updates.

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 10:47 PM, MBot said:

I wanted to release a new version of DCE for a while now, but I think this needs to come with a new reference campaign that serves to test and validate all changes and demo the new capabilities. I have worked on and played a number of different campaigns over the years but after a while I am usually more interested in working on new ideas instead of doing public releases. I enjoy having a codebase that I am free to make radical changes to and try new stuff without having to care about backwards compatibility for things in the public.

Do you have this on github ?

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled