DCS: Me 262 Discussion (Development on hold currently)

NineLine

7 hours ago, Tree_Beard said:

The current roster of maps and assets actually greatly limits the level of historic accuracy achievable, so this part of your argument is just straight wrong. 

I think if you go back and read his posts together you should notice he is essentially saying the same thing. I think everyone agrees we are really limited in what we can recreate if the desire is to be historically accurate. But I don't think the Me 262 would be any more out of place than the I-16 for example.  

And therein lies the primary issue.

The problems has not be a map or assets, has the lack of personal and resources to build them as fast as someone like.

ED has building maps but not have a "dedicated" WW2 map team, only the main team with working on map technology and modern or WW2 maps. Actually, 3rd parties has none WW2 map plans or dedicated WW2 teams (M3 was a plan about a PTO map, but never confirm our Iwo Jima map plans). Same sitiation with the European east/North Africa maps, none planned.

ED and M3 has the only teams with build WW2 assets (EWTO / PTO), but none on EETO. Octopus-G has none a assets team, and other 3rd parties none talk nothing about them.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

13 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

And therein lies the primary issue.

But….

….. we don’t need to be limited by it

Flying the Mosquito in the Patagonian fjord land is immensely enjoyable.

Its not Norway, but play with the wind and weather settings and you have a dark brooding overcast with wind-lashed whitecaps 50’ below and towering mountains either side.

That atmosphere gives the “suspension of disbelief”, as much as, or more than “right aircraft, right place, right opponents”

Same goes for nightfighter or night intruder missions - ideally we’d want a Netherlands - N Germany - Denmark map, but it really doesn’t matter when the searchlights and flak are lighting up scattered cloud base over Caen or Cherbourg

Waiting for the ideal “correct scenario” might be the perfect situation, but in doing so we deny ourselves so many hugely rewarding flight hours.  Of course, everyone will have a different take on this, and each to their own

However, if DCS want to provide us with a 262, then I will certainly buy one

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Dustband said:

Thanks for commemorating that special day. Could you share the name of the book?

Sure!

Project 262: The Test Pilot's Journal, Wolf Czaia

ISBN 978-3-9811615-0-2

12 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

I think if you go back and read his posts together you should notice he is essentially saying the same thing. I think everyone agrees we are really limited in what we can recreate if the desire is to be historically accurate. But I don't think the Me 262 would be any more out of place than the I-16 for example.  

Beside Spitfire Mk.IX, FW190A-8, Mosquito FB Mk.VI , the Me262 would be a period correct aircraft for the Normandy map we currently have(but without a period correct airfield to start from/land). Meteor Mk.I and Spitfire F Mk. XIV also, since the V1 was also planned for the assets pack, but...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

1 hour ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Beside Spitfire Mk.IX, FW190A-8, Mosquito FB Mk.VI , the Me262 would be a period correct aircraft for the Normandy map we currently have(but without a period correct airfield to start from/land). Meteor Mk.I and Spitfire F Mk. XIV also, since the V1 was also planned for the assets pack, but...

… and the (hopefully) forthcoming Lancaster…

1 hour ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Sure!

ISBN 978-3-9811615-0-2

There are others here that don't think so, probably since most of its operational life started after June of 44. But I agree, the Me 262 would be a big hit for DCS WWII and a big boon for DCS World.

Am 20.7.2022 um 18:18 schrieb iFoxRomeo:

Many thanks for that amazing book tip, unfortunately it seems tough to get. But actually it looks like a must have book 🙂

I would so much love to have the 262 in DCS and it would be defenitely a huge push to the WWII front. Please one day make this dream true

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like when (or if) ED develops the Me-262, they should release a British plane that can fight it so not everyone is holding up the 262's slots in MP. I recommend the Griffon Spitfire for a historical match up that could team up with the P-51 to have a fairly good chance to take the 262 out if they worked together.

Edited by Baltic Dude

47 minutes ago, Baltic Dude said:

I feel like when (or if) ED develops the Me-262, they should release a British plane that can fight it so not everyone is holding up the 262's slots in MP. I recommend the Griffon Spitfire for a historical match up that could team up with the P-51 to have a fairly good chance to take the 262 out if they worked together.

I think the Gloster Meteor would be the logic choice.
It could also be used for a whole lot of other scenarios on maps like Syria or South Atlantic.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

11 minutes ago, Baltic Dude said:

The Meteor and the 262 never fought each other...

I know, but they could have, if the Brits wouldn't have been so careful with them. In terms of DCS they would be the perfect matchup and thus the perfect solution to the problem you described of players wanting to fly something similar on the British side.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

39 minutes ago, greiffer said:

forget the 262; we need the typhoon, p38 and 20 mm under wings of the109!!

You can consider yourself lucky.

1. ED dropped the 262. They will not make it. No signs of the 262 since 2014.

2. Heatblur brings us a Typhoon...

3. Talk for yourself only. You don't know what "we" need.

• Like 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, iFoxRomeo said:

You can consider yourself lucky.

1. ED dropped the 262. They will not make it. No signs of the 262 since 2014.

2. Heatblur brings us a Typhoon...

3. Talk for yourself only. You don't know what "we" need.

1) it is not officially dropped, its not officially active.

2) Wrong Typhoon

3) Please be nice to each other.

• Like 12

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 1 month later...

Since there had been chat about it at the beginning of the pandemic. I only just read the news that the FHCAM will reopen.

Paul Allen's Flying Heritage museum sold to Walton family aviation enthusiast and will reopen – GeekWire

Hopefully this means the 262 with brand new Jumos will get to actually fly one day!

Edit: I hope this isnt too off-topic 😬

Edited by Etirion
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gents, any positive news about this plane module? I am getting retired in 20 years and my plane was to spend my retirement with this plane in VR helm....

• Like 5

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL

On 10/31/2022 at 7:23 PM, cmeliak said:

Gents, any positive news about this plane module? I am getting retired in 20 years and my plane was to spend my retirement with this plane in VR helm....

Spare a thought for those of us closer to that defining age… or those already there!

• Like 1

thinking about, i guess it must be my 20 years anniversary with this simulator. hmmm

i will bake a cake to myself.... in a me262 shape 🤪

• Like 4

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new (2022, Tempest Books) book on the Me-262 by Dan Sharp: Messerschmitt Me-262; Development & Politics) about the development of Me-262 prototypes, in which are included summeries of postwar reports on the 262, including pilots' assessments. Not all new, but very interesting to read how the 262 was assessed right after the war.

On YouTube, you can find some video material about the Project 262 Me-262.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My opinion is that DCS will not make the 262 due to a promise made to customers years ago,  I will not go into detail but they made a promise of goods but only when making a series of aircraft and surprise the only one left to make is the 262. I have still bought and supported DCS modules that interested me even though I very rarely fly DCS but I still like to buy and try modules every so often, This is not a criticism as the promise they made was made in good faith the funny thing is if they had fulfilled the goods straight away it would probably have cost a fraction of what it would cost now but in the end it will cost them nothing but loss of customers so they win.

• Like 1

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 1:27 PM, QuiGon said:

I know, but they could have, if the Brits wouldn't have been so careful with them. In terms of DCS they would be the perfect matchup and thus the perfect solution to the problem you described of players wanting to fly something similar on the British side.

The Meteor's had serious problem of cannons jamming and others engine and controls problems , when first 6 were released for service, it was main reason because Meteor were not operational for combat until end of the war in 1945.  Would you like a Meteor modelled with these problems here?

Edited by IIIJG52_Otto_
  • Like 2