New Installer painfully slow

I downloaded everything using Torrent, I didn't try the HTTP/FTP fallback.

IIRC the 2 GB part didn't go above 500 KB/s, and the connection was also lost a couple of times, but the next attempt picked up where it had left off, so at least there was no re-downloading the whole thing.

With the 25 GB NTTR download, the highest I saw was around 1.5 MB/s (200/100 MBit FTTH). Then I went to take a nap, and after maybe 5 hours total the download was finished.

If my math doesn't fail me, that would mean a rough average around 1.4 MB/s for the terrain download (maybe faster, it finished before I woke up again), which sounds a lot better than most people seem to get. Then again, I've had downloads from Steam at 25 MB/s (pretty much the maximum for my connection), so the DCS updater isn't quite up to par yet.

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. However, I was asking if anyone was having luck now.

Maybe I should reboot and try again? Sometimes that works! That's what I'm asking.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If maximum reseeding is priority, then you might get situation where host A has piece 1 and host B has piece 2 which they should transmit to each other to reduce load on "master" seed.

This would be fine if they have enough upload bandwidth, but many home users have only fast download and very slow upload (ADSL).

This means that "master" is seeding as fast as it can as many as possible, but many peers may be useless in distributing the load due to slow upload.

This is why I said for a torrent to work, everyone needs to seed for a period longer than it took to download in the first place - ideally to maintain a 1 to 1 download to upload ratio. Most torrent clients prioritizes uploading such that you have a 1 to 1 download to upload ratio before you stop seeding. If it takes 10x longer to upload, that's fine as long as people seed. With the DCS downloader, though, as soon as we are done downloading, it stops seeding, losing much of the benefit of using BitTorrent.

I assume Eagle is compensating for this by having a large enough pool of servers seeding, but if the downloaders continued seeding even for just a short while longer, it would help a lot when the servers are overloaded.

And in fact, the torrent is working quite well right now. I'm downloading the 25GB NTTR map at 1.0MB/s to 2.0MB/s using the torrent method. Just a few minutes ago, I was trying to download just one of the small (100MB) aircraft modules using the HTTP method and it failed to download (server timed out - couldn't reconnect after several attempts - I assume the servers are just overloaded). The HTTP servers are overloaded, but the Torrent is going strong. Critical mass has been reached for the NTTR torrent, so for the moment, it is working great. By the time anyone reads this, however, that could change. :(

FYI, my upload speed is between 300KB/s and 500KB/s. Neither of these numbers are maxing out my connection, but that is how it should be. It leaves me room to still use the Internet without overloading my connection (both down and up).

Regards,

Michael

• ED Team
DCS 2.0 launch day is a bust. Good kill ED.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This isnt launch day, this is Open Alpha, problems can be expected, that said, if you dont have anything constructive to say, dont say anything at all.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Somebody needs to explain why we went from reasonable fast update speeds to 56K Dial up speeds.

Huge number of leechers compared to seeders? This is the only reason. It is launch day, we are lucky it's even working at all, there is nothing that ED can do about the bandwidth or the launcher at the moment (because doing something now would interrupt hundreds, possibly thousands of downloads) however that being said they might implement an open seeding system for future downloads. Hence -> Alpha! Before you bring pitchforks, make sure to remember that.

I remember D3 being released, I couldn't even log in to the servers for five days straight. This is smooth sailing by comparison.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I would not entirely agree with that.

Regardless, it's time to say "Yay!" 22 hours after starting the installation, it's finally completed.

'Scuse me, I have to fly... :pilotfly:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

[...] they might implement an open seeding system for future downloads. [...]

Agreed!

I'd have loved to share my bandwidth after the download completed but didn't find an easy way to do it.

With the downloader now being a Torrent client, it would be nice if we got some control over it, like setting maximum up- and download bandwidths (very interesting for those with limited transfer volumes who are basically forced to go leecher only or face massive fees with their ISP) and keeping it running after the download finishes.

For instance, I've got bandwidth and PC resources to share right now, I wouldn't mind keeping the updater seeding until I reach at least 1:1, as long as it doesn't keep me from flying. It would be awesome if the updater made it as easy as possible to do so. :thumbup:

• ED Team
The new updater just do not work for me. Trying to install the P51 into 1.5 and for 2 days now cannot get past halfway. Very very very frustrating. Please give us another option to do updates!!!!!!

Please, cancel and run the installation again. It will update the updater and possibly pick a faster server.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Please, cancel and run the installation again. It will update the updater and possibly pick a faster server.

I've done that 10 times already. It simply is not working!

My 2 alpha NTTR map is going at 98KB/s, at that rate I will be able to play in a year maybe! :cry:

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

• ED Team
I've done that 10 times already. It simply is not working!

My 2 alpha NTTR map is going at 98KB/s, at that rate I will be able to play in a year maybe! :cry:

10 restarts seem too much. Please post your autoupdate_log.txt file from the game install dir.

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

I'm going to have to chime in here too... DCS updater is broken on this flying machine...HELP..is there a way to just download world 2 ? Please someone send link, so I can get on with the business of flying again!!

mojo out:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The installer seemed to pick up in speed but mine is now stuck 24545 of 24595, Still uploading but getting 0.0 DL.

If I switch to HTTP it will redownload everything right? Is it worth waiting or do i restart and if so using HTTP or BT?

EDIT/UPDATE: Bit the bullet and switched over to HTTP. Downloader says it unpacking files, so I imagine it will either pick up where the torrent stopped, or when it finds out the package is incomplete it will start the download from 0. In either case I'll update this.

Edited by Reject

Bit torrents are frustrating as they depend on people seeding (which they never do) and at times you download fragments from peers with poor or overloaded connections. It's just pure luck if you download quickly or not and you can never know how long it'll take to download. Not only that, it saturates your router with concurrent connections which can cause generally bad network performance.

After yesterday's update there is a HUGE improvement in download speed.

I went from 0.6 kb/s to anything between 1.0 MB/s - 2 MB/s.

It took about 12 hours to download NTTR and each of the Mods take a couple minutes only.

WTG DCS. This is a significant fix. Thank You

SnowTiger:joystick:

• ED Team
After yesterday's update there is a HUGE improvement in download speed.

I went from 0.6 kb/s to anything between 1.0 MB/s - 2 MB/s.

It took about 12 hours to download NTTR and each of the Mods take a couple minutes only.

WTG DCS. This is a significant fix. Thank You

The Mods install up to 7 MB/s

I'm glad it works for you as it meant to.

• 5 months later...
  • ED Team
Using DCS updater speed is 300 KB/s , I will never download this, I tried cancel to switch to HTTP and uninstall and download again but it is the same.

If you are new to DCS why not try the steam version.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/

just bare in mind purchases made at the ED store can not be used on steam.

steam FAQ's

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113587

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I guess the amount of posts since last year shows one thing that people (including me :D) hardly ever complain about: Ever since the installer/updater was fixed, I'm seeing phenomenal download rates. Amazing job, guys! :thumbup:

Using DCS updater speed is 300 KB/s , I will never download this, I tried cancel to switch to HTTP and uninstall and download again but it is the same.

Like I said, no such problem on my end. In case you're not just complaining but actually looking for help, can you provide some more information? For instance: What's your internet connection (DSL, Cable, FTTH, nominal downstream/upstream bandwidth), what transfer rates do you usually get from other services, can you download LibreOffice (free Office software suite. No need to install, just download via BitTorrent if at all possible) and report how well that went compared to the DCS download?

You know, just something to help us help you.

Or, like Bignewy said, you could buy and download via Steam, they should have more servers around the globe (although in the past I have seen horrible download rates with Steam as well. It's only in the last two or so years that I get consistent high rates from them).

torrents were seriously reworked in 2.6.4.30. please share your experience.

(Sorry, referring to old post a few pages back, #187.)

I was checking this IP# : 195.2.253.172 as a set aside web exclusion in my MalwareBytes Pro. I did not remember why I set this number aside. My search brought me to this page.

Lately, last several downloads have gone very smooth using the direct torrenting sites download, very quickly with no negative issues at all. I usually always download early wee hours in NY State, USA.

Take care.

Edited by DieHard
typos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...