F86F gar8 not tracking targets

Kev2go

the gar8 on the F86 has a tendency to not track targets. It must be underperfroming because the Russian Equivalent the R3S seem to be much more reliable.

This has only started happening in more recent updates. like the main build which is still running the old engine and on the 1.5-1.5.1 beta

Even when i get a solid lock tone, I fire them off and have an overwheling tendency to overshoot thier targets from about 1km and under a bit, since thats when i get a tone for Mig15/ L39 aircraft.

I am not testing this against maneuvering targets. I have tested against unsuspecting targets like Ai Mig15 and L39 that aren't aware of me yet and still flying straight and steady baed on thier pre set flight path waypoints , so a kill shoot be pretty much guaranteed.

I realize this is a early generation missile, but it almost always misses targets.

For some reason when playing the Mig21bis and L39c equipped the r3s missile, which is basically just a reverse engineered aim9b, It doesnt have issue tracking targets like the gar8/aim9b does unless in a High G manuver turn fight, which is to be expected.

so why does the gar8 not hit its targets, overhshooting them by nearly a few centimeters. while the Russian copy of it the R3S employed by the mig21 & l39c does not have this issue?

has anyone else noticed this? I think the missiles on the sabre are bugged, if thats the case it needs to be fixed.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I just purchased the F-86 last week so my experience is limited. I have had success with targets flying straight and level but I cannot see the GAR-8 being effective against a maneuvering target in a dogfight. From what I have read about the F-86 history, this seems to be accurate. I noticed that there seems to be a sweet spot in regards to distance from the target when firing. I have had the missile overshoot the target when firing in too close.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Well historically I believe the GAR-8 was pretty subpar. The only time Sabre pilots had a shot at using it effectively was when they had snuck up on a mig flying straight and level.

but thats the point gar8/aim9b shouldnt have trouble hitting targets in a straight line, where the Russian Copy of it the R3s missiles doesnt have trouble hitting steady flying targets , or gently turning targets. Its only really during sharper turn where the early seeksers should really become thrown off, and loose track.

If anyone else aprt from myself owns a F86F, Mig21, and Or l39c modules try out the gar8 on the sabre and then try the R3S missile on those other two.

Theres a noticable difference with the r3s, but its the same thing however.

In the 1958 taiwan straight crisis, a F86F sabre shot out a gar8 it got logdged in a chinese mig unexploded, and after the aircraft got back to base, the Chinese studied it, then passed it on to the russians.

So the R3S is Litterly nothing more than a copied aim9b/gar8 that went into service with the USSR around 1960, yet it doesnt have trouble hitting steady flying targets, which leads me to believe the current gar8 on the sabrejet is under performing or bugged.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD