Tracks Incorrect, DCS Recalculates instead of replaying

I played a Single Player mission (during the Su27 campaign).

After downing 2 F15s, I had a guns duel with F16 - killed it, landed and wanted to record the dogfight via track replay.

When I watched the replay I had NOT changed views or anything, I wanted to record what actually happened and my reactions. Replay was played directly from post-flight screen.

Problem: The AMRAAM that missed mi in my "real flight" - hit me in the replay. Now, seems like the sim recalculates everything during the replay, instead of just replaying the recorded data.

After exiting the replay, flight log showed different data than the first time - it had logged what happened during the replay, and all the "new things" that happened - but, campaign recorded a win and no losses.

Don't ask, here's the answer: 95% of my posts are edited because I have OCD.

Yes, this is how the tracks work unfortunately.

Well, mate, I see that for myself. Tracks worked fine (at least for me) for years - so I guess it's a new problem.

I haven't found it posted here in 1.5 reports, so I spent some time on writing it down.

I didn't want to analyze, I wanted to make a video :D

Well, mate, I see that for myself. Tracks worked fine (at least for me) for years - so I guess it's a new problem.

I haven't found it posted here in 1.5 reports, so I spent some time on writing it down.

I didn't want to analyze, I wanted to make a video :D

Oh ok. I've had it happen a couple of times in the past. I don't think it's a bug, I think sometimes we just get unlucky with the recalculating. I've tried to replay missions before where the track just shows me crashing into the ground right away for no reason. :D

Nah, the problem is old, as the method of replaying the mission again rather than recording the events (that's why tracks used to get more or less corrupted after every update in 1.2.xx era). The basic concept of "re-simulating" stays the same.

For some reason, however, in 1.5 the number of errors induced during "playback" is noticeably higher than it was previously. The problem has been posted numerous times, though, so I guess ED is working on a fix.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh ok. I've had it happen a couple of times in the past. I don't think it's a bug, I think sometimes we just get unlucky with the recalculating. I've tried to replay missions before where the track just shows me crashing into the ground right away for no reason. :D

That IS the actual problem. Replay must be REPLAYED by recorded data, not recalculated every time. :)

Funnily, since last few days, every single flight I do, no matter long or short, gets improperly playing tracks.

It has always been a problem alright, but that's the first time I am getting every single one to be wrong :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 2 years later...

Sorry chaps, going to have to resurrect this thread.

Recorded a track earlier, just a short one of myself landing.

Took me 5 replays before the AI was actually capable of completing the same landing without either breaking the undercarriage or completely destroying the aircraft. Might make a vid of it for a laugh, as it sure was amusing to watch.

Any thoughts/news?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Sorry chaps, going to have to resurrect this thread.

Recorded a track earlier, just a short one of myself landing.

Took me 5 replays before the AI was actually capable of completing the same landing without either breaking the undercarriage or completely destroying the aircraft. Might make a vid of it for a laugh, as it sure was amusing to watch.

Any thoughts/news?

My toughts = This is very low in ED priority fix list.

Years pass and this problem stays.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Years pass and this problem stays.

Agreed that it is nothing like as important as the other key stuff currently underway.

Just curious if anyone had found a workaround whilst we're awaiting an official fix.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

No work arounds , and i would really like to get this fixed.

Tacview is nice but its not same.

Sad that they cant fix this , after all years passed :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not a good decision if that's truly the case. They always want to see tracks in our bug reports for a good reason. But how can they be useful for squashing bugs when they're buggy themselves and don't play correctly?

Just did some test flights and found numerous issues I wanted to report, but all the tracks went haywire aj-hm.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here.

In a mission with the A-10 C, if I manage to take out the SAM, the replay / track seems to

be OK, but if the SAM hits me, either destroying the A-10 or just damaging it, then

the repay / saved track shows something completely different.

Let's hope ED is aware of this, we are talking about a release version here (2.5), and

not anymore about a beta...

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

how do video makers do it? Do you really have to record it "live", as you play?

Yes, they usually dedicate a person just to spectate to do the recording.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Very disappointing all this....

Let's hope ED is aware of this, we are talking about a release version here (2.5), and

not anymore about a beta...

And I am not talking about the free Caucasus and SU-25 T and TF-51, but about the over dozen

of planes and 2 sceneries I have bought.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 6 months later...

I too find this very disappointing in an otherwise pretty awesome title. I have just flown my first truly successful Hornet CAP mission only to find in the replay i get blown to bits instead of blowing two MiG-29s to bits. Kinda expect a bit more. Hope this gets resolved with a rewindable replay feature.

The Flying Kiwis (TFK)

Ryzen 5600X on water, RX6800, 32GB 3200, m.2 boot, 2TB EVO,  Rift S, Warthog HOTAS + TFRP, flight chair with bass shakers.

AH-64D || A-10IIC || F/A-18C || UH-1 || F-16C || Mig-29 || Spitfire mk.ix || Fw190A8 || Fw190D9 || P-51D || Ka-50 || Mi-8 || Mi-24P || bf109k-4 || P-47 || Mosquito || Combined Arms

Persian Gulf || Normandy || Nevada || Syria

Supercarrier || NS430

DCS tracks do not record events as they unfold, but parameters such as control inputs driving the various units participating in the mission, and the whole affects the outcome differently each and every time the track is played back. F.ex. did the AAA get the MiG this time, or did it miss? Or was the tank blowing you to bits destroyed before it had a chance of targeting you, or was it not? And so on and on.

And this is how it'll stay, I'm afraid, unless they redesign the whole thing from the ground up. So just grin and bear it ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Not a good decision if that's truly the case. They always want to see tracks in our bug reports for a good reason. But how can they be useful for squashing bugs when they're buggy themselves and don't play correctly?

Just did some test flights and found numerous issues I wanted to report, but all the tracks went haywire aj-hm.png

While I rarely use the track replays myself (because they don't work) - this is a solid argument for fixing the system.

I'm sure they're working on it and I understand why it would be a lower priority item on ED's list - but then it really shouldn't be a requirement for reporting a bug.

Supposedly, the tracks work internally. The question is, what is different on ED's computers that we don't have?

For me the tracks seem to be module and/or time dependent. Some modules just never replay correctly, while others do. The Spitfire I can occasionally get to replay correctly if I delete my "fxo" and "metashaders2" folders. The Viggen I can never get to work. I can fly the Harrier off a moving Tarawa and the track replays just fine. But when I fly the Hornet off a moving Stennis, the track is corrupted once I depart the BRC; however if I fly from land to a moving Stennis, touch-and-gos replay with no problem.

Then there's a time issue. Most of my flights are 45 minutes, and they tend to replay without any problems. But if I fly for longer than 45 minutes, things get weird. I had a Harrier flight suddenly desync at around the 45-48 minute mark, causing my flight path to be about 20° south of where it should have been, putting my CASE I recovery twenty-something miles away from the boat. This error was reproducible every time I replayed the track. If I stay within that 45-minute limit, though, I don't seem to have many problems.

my experience, if there is no wind , no turbulence and troops are static the trks do work for me (eg caucasus)

but when i play with winds and turbulence (eg on PG) my trks end after minutes with crashing me into ground.

i cant understand how such a broken replay function could be sold to military for training, completely useless in my opinion, AND it makes bug reporting/replication much harder! so it should be in EDs interest to fix this!

I'm sure they're working on it...

Are you? I'd bet serious money they're not. Tracks have been broken since I started playing a decade ago with Black Shark 1. No one on the ED side even addresses these posts anymore - they haven't for years - and I don't remember them ever saying they were working on it to begin with. Honestly if tracks weren't mildly entertaining in their ridiculousness and very occasionally useful, I'd argue to have the "feature" removed completely as it's a major source of frustration and confusion for any new players.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as I'm relatively new to DCS myself, so I'm not as jaded as other long-time players are.

Ha, yeah. They’ve been given the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things for a really long time from me. And it’s fair to say that I suffer from a non-zero sum of jadedness with the unpredictable and unreliable development of DCS.

Here’s the problem though. DCS is, bar none, the best consumer flight simulator available. It’s an antiquated, incomplete, buggy patchwork of a combat simulator, but goddamn can they capture that feeling of flight. And that’s why I’m here: flight simulation. For better or worse, that’s why they keep earning my money.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...