A-10C TGP display: Targets hard to see

LeCuvier

The TGP Display in A-10C lacks contrast. Targets are almost invisible unless you zoom in to less than 8m. The TGP display in 1.5.1 seems cluttered by a lot of small terrain features with high contrast. This makes it very hard to locate targets through the TGP. I have a lot of experience with the A-10C and I use the TGP a lot with smart bombs, but also to find targets for the Mavericks. In 1.5.1 I can hardly find any targets through the TGP.

See pictures on attached .bmp file to compare TGP display from 1.2.16 vs. 1.5.1

Example: Mission CA-Push - 1-2 Trucks of the group RU HQ

I used the IR view to get maximum visibility due to poor daylight conditions in this mission.

917995663_TDCDisplayIssue.thumb.jpg.6ec4ada9b2923ae3cff4555410fa13dd.jpg

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i noticed the same thing((((

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

VID: MSI Nvidia RTX4070 12GB \ MON: Samsung ue49ks8000 49'', Lilliput 8'' x2

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

Agreed, its since they fixed the Z fighting issue. Was ok before that.

Edited by BaconSarnie

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

In the past when I have used user created terrain mods they have looked great from the cockpit but caused the same issues when using the TGP in the A-10C so I was always forced to disable them. Now what we have is essentially the same thing, but rather than a mod that can be enabled or disabled, with 1.5 these terrain textures are there by default. Unfortunately for the Hawg drivers, the A-10C is probably the only aircraft in the mix that is experiencing a negative impact from the new textures and apart from manually tweaking some lua files we will just have to live with it as long as we use the Black Sea map.......which for me won't be much longer.

Same issue for me...

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Pretty sure it's the new ground textures are making it harder to see targets.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I was curious to see what the real TGP sees, tried a quick google search to get some real images but I didn't find much in a short time, maybe you guys have some good links?

Here's one picture I took from a documentary on youtube, as we can see the ground adds clutter but tank is still much darker than the ground.

Here:

A-10_MFD-TGP.jpg.7cab579e4025ad953ad2175915ac2d19.jpg

Very nice footage Snoppy. It even possible to see the SPI symbol in the TGP. Of cause this is not moddeled in DCS however is there a difference between when the wedding cake symbol is white and when it's blue. I am comparring the two videos. Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hans

Oh boy! So what so we have to do about this? Expect a patch repair or have to edit some files?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Oh boy! So what so we have to do about this? Expect a patch repair or have to edit some files?

don't panic)) you can use Ground Textures Mod as a temporary solution, for example)

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

Which MOD would that be, there are so many of them, and I haven't used any MODS on 1.5, just 1.2, but am willing to give it a go,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Which MOD would that be, there are so many of them, and I haven't used any MODS on 1.5, just 1.2, but am willing to give it a go,,

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132444

WOO! that's a real deep thought one! LOL,, I will have to read through that one,,, thanks

One of the problems is that ED don't have thermal textures for objects, vehicles and ground. I've notice that in white hot the ground and the buildings are hot and vehicles are dark (cold). This should be the other way round, buildings and ground should be near ambient temperature and vehicles should be very hot(at least areas like the engine deck). So in BHot you end up looking for the brighter targets as vehicles. This is arse-about.

Having said that though I'm actually finding it easier to find targets in the latest version. The problem I've been having in the TGP of late is the inability to get a good lock on some units (zu-23/2 pits, Artillery units, shilkas). Tanks I can get a firm lock on though.

Very nice footage Snoppy. It even possible to see the SPI symbol in the TGP. Of cause this is not moddeled in DCS however is there a difference between when the wedding cake symbol is white and when it's blue. I am comparring the two videos. Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hans

Not sure honestly, I'll try to do some reading today at work, needless to say that's a feature from a much later suite than modeled in DCS world.

And the video is from a litening pod.

I wonder how the models are rendered in DCS. In Arma, or more accurately VBS (I used to work for BIS) each model has a thermal map that would separate it from the environment. It makes it extremely easy for thermal optics to pick up objects.

https://manuals.bisimulations.com/vbs3/3-6/devref/#How_to/AMHT_Thermal_Imaging_How.htm%3FTocPath%3D2%2520How%2520to...%7CThermal%2520Imaging%7C_____1

I wonder if this can be done in DCS or they already are in a different way that just doesn't seem to be very effective..?

In 1.2 I rarely ever used the brightness or contrast buttons on the TGP screen but with 1.5 I have found that by increasing the contrast and reducing the brightness in CCD mode it makes it much easier to see the targets. Those buttons are there for a reason and I can't help but wonder how often a RL pilot would use them to accomplish the same goal depending on RL terrain, weather and variables in lighting conditions. One thing I have always done and continue to do is reduce the brightness on the TAD screen to improve the ability to see the symbology against the map.

Yes same issue here. Label show me ground unit but they are invisible in TGP.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals