A-10C TGP display: Targets hard to see

LeCuvier

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur... I have tried some simple mission at night .... mucked around with gain settings on BHOT and WHOT mode.... zero effective thermal contrast to use TGP effectively... this needs to be fixed otherwise it's pretty well nerfed to EO/TV pod only that is LLTV rather than true IR... those trees look toasty warm though !

ED please rectify this ... I love my A10c at night.... but just am turned off doing night missions whilst this exists

edit - add screenshots... TGP night. Nevada map both modes of WHOT and BHOT. trees show as bright as (or dark as) the desired target object.

bhot_nevada_openalpha2_00.thumb.jpg.c3eeebd0f75f12293f2b17a443c18bcb.jpg

whot_nevada_openalpha2_00.thumb.jpg.544b546376393efcb55d5eef6f32f28f.jpg

Edited by Von Thrud
add images

System: I7 7700K - Delidded. TT Cooler. 32GB 3000hz Ram, Gigabyte Aorus Ext 1080TI, SSD's, Corsair Gold 850W PSU, Philips 4K 40inch 60hz monitor, Dell 22inch Touch + Helios, Rift S, VKB MCG PRO, TM TPR pedals, TM Warthog throttle with slew mod and twist repair

I concur... I have tried some simple mission at night .... mucked around with gain settings on BHOT and WHOT mode.... zero effective thermal contrast to use TGP effectively... this needs to be fixed otherwise it's pretty well nerfed to EO/TV pod only that is LLTV rather than true IR... those trees look toasty warm though !

ED please rectify this ... I love my A10c at night.... but just am turned off doing night missions whilst this exists

edit - add screenshots... TGP night. Nevada map both modes of WHOT and BHOT. trees show as bright as (or dark as) the desired target object.

In the old map the situation is even worse, at least you can distinguish the target here.

I doubt that ED will implement realistic FLIR after 5 years. Hopefully in the F/A-18 though!

Would it be unfair to say that they owe us that though? It is such a vital instrument for the A-10 and probably other aircraft in the pipeline.

It can be done as shown by other sims / games.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

a7830fc5554eb7314a98711446e338c2.jpg11fabeae655e105ddc0c8edb07ea8981.jpg

The real Flir image isn't also not really sharp... I think, spotting in dcs is a little more easy than in the footage videos.

interersting, i would like to hear from 476th about it.

Edited by BackboneOne

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

VID: MSI Nvidia RTX4070 12GB \ MON: Samsung ue49ks8000 49'', Lilliput 8'' x2

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

i think we need a ground texture mod optimized for current FLIR, little hope for ED on this one, to be honest(

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

A-10C TGP display: Targets hard to see

And here you can watch FLIR image from an A-10 which is much clearer:

http://www.military.com/video/operations-and-strategy/air-strikes/unclassified-a-10-warthog-war-footage/1489970323001

I would take these in DCS, please.

I think it's quiet close to what we have in 2.0 - it's a desert footage, most of it are ccd pictures, and the whot / bhot looks similar to me

But the heat sources should be more visible, that's right

I flew the A10 for the first time in ages lastnight and I thought I was just tired and not able to see the targets. There was an entire tank column parked next to the road and I couldn't detect them. Hugely frustrating. I had 2 GBU38s and 3 GBU12s I just couldn't use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I flew the A10 for the first time in ages lastnight and I thought I was just tired and not able to see the targets. There was an entire tank column parked next to the road and I couldn't detect them. Hugely frustrating. I had 2 GBU38s and 3 GBU12s I just couldn't use.

as i said, this is really a problem and needs to be solved. strange that ED ignoring it.

Is a video recording of a TGP any indication of what kind of quality the pilot sees? I have a feeling that it will be a terribly compresses, low res video, and may not represent the pilot's eye view in the slightest. To suggest it might be representative is to assume a great deal I think?

The display we see has definitely deteriorated is definitely something that needs to be improved, and I am also fairly sure ED have it on their bug list.

You can improve things by playing with the contrast and brightness,, it does help a lot.

TGP Issue: Need a statement from ED!

I doubt that ED will implement realistic FLIR after 5 years. Hopefully in the F/A-18 though!

I've had the A-10C since June 2011 and it was a big step forward from the A-10A in Flaming Cliffs. The ability to use the TGP for targeting Mavericks, CBU's and GBU's made a big difference. The TGP struggled under some light conditions but mostly I could manage in IR mode and adjusting the level/contrast settings.

Now the TGP is almost useless for finding targets.

We are all guessing at what ED will or won't do; but that's no good. We need a plan from ED for each one of the issues that were introduced with 1.5. And the A-10C TGP is a major one.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

As another workaround which works really well, I really suggest using Barthek's mod. I installed it yesterday and not only it looks very good, the TGP works as it used to work before with it. Check out this thread. You can also make it workable with the JSGME - see this post.

This is good advice works great for me also, I also find setting gain to 7 and the other one to 8 really brings out a flir image.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

As another workaround which works really well, I really suggest using Barthek's mod. I installed it yesterday and not only it looks very good, the TGP works as it used to work before with it. Check out this thread. You can also make it workable with the JSGME - see this post.

This is good advice works great for me also, I also find setting gain to 7 and the other one to 8 really brings out a flir image.
What is the performance impact?

has anyone tested DCS Northern Europe by Starway http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144708? is the problem still there with it?

Oscar Juliet I will try this also. DCS A-10C is next to unplayable for me due to the graphic engine, I can't see shit on the ground as soon as targets are off road and not moving...

I've been a huge ED fanboy so far, I've bought all modules out there despite the fact that I will probably never fly them, but this SUCKS big time.

We run big multiplayer events with multiple squadrons and this has a great impact on our favorite hobby. Please fix this!!