And now for something completely different

Warhog

It's Monty Python time......... No it isn't. Just something different for a change.

Here's my mess.

Desktop PSU by John Wall, on Flickr[/img]

Its divided into 3 obvious sections, 12v, 5v and 3.3v. Each section has 5 pairs of dupont pin headers for power, 5.5mm jacks, banana plug outlets, USB outlets and clamp type connectors for bare wires. That should handle most situations.

Each section is further divided into several separately switched circuits with a green LED for each circuit indicating that circuit is good to go. When you activate a circuit the LED for that particular outlet lights up indicating the outlet is now live. There are additional outlets with built in 470, 330 and 150 ohm resistors and an outlet for powering IR emitters at both 5v and 12v.

But the "piece de resistance" is yet to come. 2 large red JEWEL pilot lights (circa 1945) that will sit on top and beside the main power switch. I love those pilot lights and have never been able to incorporate them into anything I was building. But not any longer.

I just thought I would show you this project as something a wee bit different than we normally look at.

Hope you like it and maybe get some inspiration to try something different for yourself. You know what they say "A change is better than a break"

• Like 1

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

That rocks John. I bought a DC supply box from Ebay. Chinese thing, only cost £43.00 uk pounds and it does from 0-45vdc, there is however one caveat and you hit the nail on the head. I can only use 1 voltage at a time. I should have thought about it when I was running the 12 volt rails for the side consoles and adding resistors to make the atx wake up. You know something, you never fail to amaze me. Keep bringing these ideas m8. Damn you, I got to build one now. :)

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

neat. workplace organization is the item that always on a back burner for me.

I know what you mean Anton. I never was too good at organizing my work space. :music_whistling:

I have loads of storage bins and drawers and shelves and you name it. All my parts are super neat and all cataloged and labelled for quick, easy access. But my desk is a different story. There is crap all over my desktop. Sometimes have to dig under several layers of tools just to find that resistor I need. :megalol:

But I wouldn't have it any other way.:smilewink:

@ Gordy... Thanks mate. Yes its a real good tool for testing and prototyping. It just makes it soooooo much easier to do stuff. :)

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

No mill spec switches? Housing is supposed to be RAL 7046 grey and the panels RAL 7021 black. And that engraved lettering better be back lit!

Just kidding :D This thing looks uber cool! Some serious craftsman skills as always!

But seriously,

green voltmeters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-LED-Panel-Meter-Mini-Digital-Voltmeter-DC-0V-To-30V-NEW-GODD-M15-/351590012214?hash=item51dc65d536:g:rgwAAOSwPe1UIPBD

Paint the housing ral grey, and the panels ral black, with green back lit lettering.:pilotfly:

I'm just getting into instrument building so I'll definitely need one myself. Not as complex as yours but it'll be fun to try to match the cockpit style.

I think John went for a color match with his welding station and other lab equipment :)

You are exactly right Anton. :smilewink: That was very perceptive on your part. :)

As for providing back lighting, I decided that since I don't actually build proto circuits in the dark, I wouldn't really need it. :smilewink: Yes, I know you were kidding :megalol:

And for the panel meters, it was a conscious decision to go with red. I didn't want to get confused when the lights are off and I'm working with cockpit parts which of course are all green. I get confused easily now a days. Old age I think... :huh:

But overall it does give my work area a kind of Christmasy feel with the all the red and green lights. I may actually get the LEDs to blink as well...just over Christmas mind you and then back to normal.:doh: :megalol:

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall