Any model in particular you may be interested?

joanvalley

Well now that we Nevada with Groom Lake, sadly without Papoose Lake S4 concealed runways, U2/TR-1 Dragon Lady would be a challenge. Since at altitude its stall speed and Vne is 10 knots apart.

If that is still too classiffied.

Need F-16C Block50/52, MIG-29SMT/K with EFM and systems, UH-72 Lakota, SEPECAT Jaguar, AV-8B HarrierII

Something from China, JH-7A perhaps.

With respect , F117 is still classified too sim for civilian market. Aside from F-15C landing gear, and GBU-12 PavewaysII, everything else is classified, and if available open source, likely to be incorrect.

If considering new terrain;

Point Mugu NAS (for anti-ship training)

North Pacific (Alaska, Aleutian, and Bering Strait)

Baltic Sea

Well now that we Nevada with Groom Lake, sadly without Papoose Lake S4 concealed runways, U2/TR-1 Dragon Lady would be a challenge. Since at altitude its stall speed and Vne is 10 knots apart.

If that is still too classiffied.

Need F-16C Block50/52, MIG-29SMT/K with EFM and systems, UH-72 Lakota, SEPECAT Jaguar, AV-8B HarrierII

Something from China, JH-7A perhaps.

With respect , F117 is still classified too sim for civilian market. Aside from F-15C landing gear, and GBU-12 PavewaysII, everything else is classified, and if available open source, likely to be incorrect.

If considering new terrain;

Point Mugu NAS (for anti-ship training)

North Pacific (Alaska, Aleutian, and Bering Strait)

Baltic Sea

Do you know that the F-117 is mostly classified, or are you assuming it is like 95% of the people here? :D

Also, does that matter**? I know this won't happen, but would I be the only one that really wouldn't care if the -117 used A-10C-style avionics? Personally, I'll take a decent representation of RL over nothing.

I love all your other suggestions, though! :thumbup:

**From a modeling standpoint, I don't know how the classification/restriction stuff affects permission to make the (virtual) aircraft.

• Like 1

Lord of Salt

Do you know that the F-117 is mostly classified, or are you assuming it is like 95% of the people here? :D

Also, does that matter**? I know this won't happen, but would I be the only one that really wouldn't care if the -117 used A-10C-style avionics? Personally, I'll take a decent representation of RL over nothing.

I love all your other suggestions, though! :thumbup:

**From a modeling standpoint, I don't know how the classification/restriction stuff affects permission to make the (virtual) aircraft.

A lot of the stuff in the F-117 is taken directly from other aircraft (e.g. FBW is from F-16). The only major unknown is the RAM coatings, which can be overcome by assigning a number in DCS.

I am former US Army, so I am fairly certain that F117 (though a USAF system) is mostly classified. However if F117 sim is really desired with a realistic flight model. Just look at how USAF trained F117 crew. Using A-7 (USANG variant). In F117 book, F117 test crew and early operational crews stated that F117 FBW software and law model was so good and stable that F117 flew and felt like A-7. So a good tradeoff for F117 sim is an accurate external model of F-117, plenty of public domain photos, with flight model that of A-7 which is unclassified at this point and well known.

The flight instruments , landing gear, and HOTAS, are from F-15C. Except that stick may be from F-18C. I imagine that without stores, and landing fuel amount, the gross weight of F117 is similar to landing gross weight of F-15C.

One flight system that is definatly classified is stealth pitot and air data computer. Those are specific to stealth aircraft, and are most certainly classified. Since any realistic flight model and instrument system in a sim has to realistically model pitot and air data computation, there would need to be a compromise. However back to A-7, as long as A-7 systems are accurately modeled, average user should be more then satisfied.

Communication, RWR, and target designation, for F117, are likely to be still classified. Becouse those systems were evolved into modern deployed systems on F-22, F-35, B-2, and other platforms. Distributed aperture systems for radar, rwr, and optical , likely trace their development to F117 and before that to those weird things in 1970's around Groom Lake.

So all in all. If we get a realistic A-7 sim with F117 external eye candy, that would be 'good enough' IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

A long list, but worth it ^^ :

- Dassault Super Etendard (to have one carrier based aircraft ^^)

- Dassault Rafale (Carrier based multirole)

- Dassault Mirage III (to match the Mig 21)

Yeah i'm french ^^

- F104 Starfighter (to match again Mig 21)

- AC130 Gunship ! (complicated to invent the way to use it in DCS, but it would be soooo interesting !)

"Clear to startup ... Contact ..."

Geoffrey Wellum - First Light

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi !

A long list, but worth it ^^ :

- Dassault Super Etendard (to have one carrier based aircraft ^^)

- Dassault Rafale (Carrier based multirole)

- Dassault Mirage III (to match the Mig 21)

Yeah i'm french ^^

- F104 Starfighter (to match again Mig 21)

- AC130 Gunship ! (complicated to invent the way to use it in DCS, but it would be soooo interesting !)

Mirage III and F-104 can't compete with the Mig-21bis. Both are late 50s vs a 1970s aircraft. Nesher is more appropriate instead of Mirage III and instead of lawndart, F-5 Tiger II and/or F-4E phantom.

Mirage III and F-104 can't compete with the Mig-21bis. Both are late 50s vs a 1970s aircraft. Nesher is more appropriate instead of Mirage III and instead of lawndart, F-5 Tiger II and/or F-4E phantom.

It All depends on the Mirage III / F-104 Variant...

The First Mirage IIIC or F-104A are slightly older then the Mig-21 Bis

(and No the Mirage III is not a late 50s aircraft... it first entered service around 1961)

The Radar of the Mirage IIIC was alot better then the radar of the early Mig-21.

And id say the Cyrano Radar of the Mirage IIIE (that also had Air-ground modes!)

was no worse and possibly better then that of the mig-21Bis.

And for the 104 it also depends on variant.

If you for example take the Italian F-104S that entered service in 1969 (before the bis)

it had a more capable radar then the Bis had and also could use the Aim-7 Sparrow missile (and later the much Improved Aspide)

So the F-104S would be superior to a Mig-21 in terms of weapons and radar etc.

The Mig-21Bis was in no way a bad fighter but when it enterd service it was no better then many of the aircraft in service in other nations already and it was not a game changer over earlier Mig-21 variants like the MF or PFM.

It was not ALOT worse but a mig-21 bis vs a Mirage III C or E would have been a close fight it would in no way have been a great advantage for the mig-21Bis...

And a F-104G is not much weaker then a Mig-21 Bis either even though like the Mirage IIIC/E it also enterd service several years earlier.

So Mig-21Bis is very Much comparable to a Mirage III or a F-104.

The russians usually played catch up with the west.

So when a new "generation" of western aircraft entered service the Russian aircraft of comparable preformance would be a bit behind.

Examples of this Include the Mig-23 wich was a russian effort to catch up with the F-4 Phantom and its Look Down shoot down Abilities.

The First F-4 Phantom that had Look down / shoot down radar enterd service around 1965-66 (F-4J and the F-4Es where quickly upgraded)

And the Mig-23M (first Mig-23 equipped with the radar the mig-23 was intended for)

entered service around 1972-73.

And they both had comparable radars / preformance even though the F-4J/E variants where several years older.

And it was the Same thing for the next generation change.

The F-15A went into service in 1976 with the F-15C following in 1979 with the Mig-29 and Su-27 entering service in 1982 and 1985...

And Even when the Su-27 entered service the F-15C still had a more powerful radar etc.

So you cant just Say Mig-21Bis is better then Mirage III and F-104 because the Bis entered service later.

The Bis-Variant just like the MF and PFM variants where to increase the capabillities of the Mig-21 to get on par or slightly better then that of the western aircraft already in service.

Im not a Pro West Fanboi etc but on the Aircraft Tech Side the russians where playing catch up.

In the 1950s it was very even in the 1960s the west pulled ahead slighty and kept a slight lead untill the end of the cold war.

Thats just Unbiased Facts.

It All depends on the Mirage III / F-104 Variant...

I recede my point on the Mirage III and F-104S (I wasn't even thinking about that) but F-104A/C/G, no.

The only reason why I don't include F-104S is due to the fact that is has AIM-7 (without a gun btw) so it can engage the MiG-21 in BVR (though BVR in DCS is 8nm but that is still more then twice the range of the R-3R). The other F-104s would have to rely on rear aspect Sidewinders, and with those short stubby wings and a T-tail, I don't see them getting on the rear of a MiG-21 if the MiG-21 is aware of them.

F-104 met a few times with MiG-21 and as far as I know encounters ended in MiG's favor. And I think those weren't even MiG-21Bis. F-104S can be considered another matter of course, but if we speak of 60s, Sparrow missiles then weren't exactly known for good success. But Bis is 70s and I guess decent Sparrow versions and derivatives may have been available by then.

Some Mirage III & V versions seem pretty capable. But one thing to consider is that Mirage III has always been a better dogfighter generally, so even against older Mirages, while Bis may have advantage of radar guided missiles and T/W ratio for intercepts, once merged it may not be too one sided for Mirages. They would probably be able to fight the Bis in a merge.

Edited by WinterH

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

That's why i choosed the Mirage III and F104. If not those, which aircraft would be suitable ? We can't take aircrafts from a different time to match a too powerfull plane for its contemporary equivalents ...

it would be nonsense to play in a f86f to kill a Me262 ...

Variants of older MIII and F104 were used while the service entering of the Mig21 ? well just use it and play with the weapons given to you ^^

=> Look at the M2000 facing Su27 and Mig29 with far more performing missiles ... eh, just play and try to get them anyway !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-104 met a few times with MiG-21 and as far as I know encounters ended in MiG's favor. And I think those weren't even MiG-21Bis. F-104S can be considered another matter of course, but if we speak of 60s, Sparrow missiles then weren't exactly known for good success. But Bis is 70s and I guess decent Sparrow versions and derivatives may have been available by then.

Some Mirage III & V versions seem pretty capable. But one thing to consider is that Mirage III has always been a better dogfighter generally, so even against older Mirages, while Bis may have advantage of radar guided missiles and T/W ratio for intercepts, once merged it may not be too one sided for Mirages. They would probably be able to fight the Bis in a merge.

I recede my point on the Mirage III and F-104S (I wasn't even thinking about that) but F-104A/C/G, no.

The only reason why I don't include F-104S is due to the fact that is has AIM-7 (without a gun btw) so it can engage the MiG-21 in BVR (though BVR in DCS is 8nm but that is still more then twice the range of the R-3R). The other F-104s would have to rely on rear aspect Sidewinders, and with those short stubby wings and a T-tail, I don't see them getting on the rear of a MiG-21 if the MiG-21 is aware of them.

The Mirage III had the Radar Guided R.530 from the start (it had a IR aswell as a Radar guided variant)

and while the R.530 was not a brilliant missile it was better then the R-3R and far outranged the R-3R in any encounter.

So no the Mig-21 would not have an advantage in radar guided missiles.

Only advantage there could be perhaps that the Mirage III can only carry one R.530 (on the centerline as its a larger missile) while the Mig-21 can carry more but then again it is a more capable missile.

But also the R-3R is very much overpreforming in DCS and was very much of a disappointment irl and as such it would not be a game changer against a fighter since a fighter could easily break lock either by diving causing the Mig-21s radar to loose lock from ground clutter or a hard turn would also be enough to fool a R-3R alot of the time.

There are actually VERY few kills recorded from R-3Rs almost all Air-Air missile kills from Mig-21s where from K-13s (R-3S R-13M or R-13M1) or from R-60s.

And its been proven that the F-104 is actually not that much less manuverable then a mig-21 depending on the speed.

So between a Mig-21 and F-104 it mostly comes down to pilots and training.

But again it comes down to variant.

And the Only time Mig-21s have Fought F-104s (officialy atleast)

is during the India-Pakistani wars.

Pakistan had 14 F-104As (12 single seats and 2 dual seat trainers)

that had been in service for several years (first F-104 variant with a very basic Radar and not to advanced systems)

India on the other hand had a larger number of Mig-21FLs (Export variant of the Mig-21PF)

that where newer with the first aircraft aircraft entering service 6+ years after Pakistan got there F-104s (so several years newer)

Those Mig-21FLs The Mig-21FL probably had a very slight advantage over the F-104A.

But mostly it came down to tactics and the fact that the Pakistanis had to few F-104s where india had atleast 80+ mig-21FLs when the war started.

And even then it was not like all F-104s where shot down...

Between 65 and 71 in multiple conflicts four of the Pakistani F-104s where shot down by Mig-21s with no Mig-21s being shot down by 104s.

The F-104s in pakistani service had multiple kills just not against the Mig-21s.

and the difference between a F-104A and a Mig-21FL (PF) is larger then the difference between a F-104G and a Mig-21Bis would be.

So again F-104G and Mig-21Bis would be very comparable and it would come down to pilots and tactics more then anything else.

Id say a F-104G and a Mig-21 Bis would be closer then the F-15C and Su-27 is.

Most of the Light fighters/interceptors of that timeframe where very comparable in air-air capabillites (Mig-21,F-104,F-5,Mirage III,J-35 Draken etc)

It would just depend on models.

Early F-104 Vs Early Mig (F-104A vs Mig-21 F-13) would be a close match.

And a Later Mig-21MF or Mig-21Bis would be comparable to a F-104G with some slight differences in capabilities.

The Mirage III had the Radar Guided R.530 from the start (it had a IR aswell as a Radar guided variant)

and while the R.530 was not a brilliant missile it was better then the R-3R and far outranged the R-3R in any encounter.

So no the Mig-21 would not have an advantage in radar guided missiles.

Only advantage there could be perhaps that the Mirage III can only carry one R.530 (on the centerline as its a larger missile) while the Mig-21 can carry more but then again it is a more capable missile.

But also the R-3R is very much overpreforming in DCS and was very much of a disappointment irl and as such it would not be a game changer against a fighter since a fighter could easily break lock either by diving causing the Mig-21s radar to loose lock from ground clutter or a hard turn would also be enough to fool a R-3R alot of the time.

There are actually VERY few kills recorded from R-3Rs almost all Air-Air missile kills from Mig-21s where from K-13s (R-3S R-13M or R-13M1) or from R-60s.

And its been proven that the F-104 is actually not that much less manuverable then a mig-21 depending on the speed.

So between a Mig-21 and F-104 it mostly comes down to pilots and training.

But again it comes down to variant.

And the Only time Mig-21s have Fought F-104s (officialy atleast)

is during the India-Pakistani wars.

Pakistan had 14 F-104As (12 single seats and 2 dual seat trainers)

that had been in service for several years (first F-104 variant with a very basic Radar and not to advanced systems)

India on the other hand had a larger number of Mig-21FLs (Export variant of the Mig-21PF)

that where newer with the first aircraft aircraft entering service 6+ years after Pakistan got there F-104s (so several years newer)

Those Mig-21FLs The Mig-21FL probably had a very slight advantage over the F-104A.

But mostly it came down to tactics and the fact that the Pakistanis had to few F-104s where india had atleast 80+ mig-21FLs when the war started.

And even then it was not like all F-104s where shot down...

Between 65 and 71 in multiple conflicts four of the Pakistani F-104s where shot down by Mig-21s with no Mig-21s being shot down by 104s.

The F-104s in pakistani service had multiple kills just not against the Mig-21s.

and the difference between a F-104A and a Mig-21FL (PF) is larger then the difference between a F-104G and a Mig-21Bis would be.

So again F-104G and Mig-21Bis would be very comparable and it would come down to pilots and tactics more then anything else.

Id say a F-104G and a Mig-21 Bis would be closer then the F-15C and Su-27 is.

Most of the Light fighters/interceptors of that timeframe where very comparable in air-air capabillites (Mig-21,F-104,F-5,Mirage III,J-35 Draken etc)

It would just depend on models.

Early F-104 Vs Early Mig (F-104A vs Mig-21 F-13) would be a close match.

And a Later Mig-21MF or Mig-21Bis would be comparable to a F-104G with some slight differences in capabilities.

I agree ! ^^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another good idea would be the F-22 Raptor. Is newer but would be awesome to fly!

IMHO There's no chance we're going to get a detailed PFM/ASM F-22 module anytime soon. It's still too new and too classified. Everything about how the plane handles, systems, etc. would have to be extrapolated from what we can find on the web.

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.